Behncke

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by sl7vk, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    If Cila is the answer, can I have the question repeated?

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Cila was THE answer, but he is young, a little stronger than Selolwane and he has proven himself in the past.
    I say we at least give him a try.

3. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i say we put watson or cila up top and move dipsy back to the wing. brown hasnt impressed me much to be honest.

4. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I agree. Watson can't be worst than Dipsy up top. Give the guy a shot, this is the only way he'll grow.

5. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    ... which leads us back to Benhke. :)

Will we see him this saturday?

6. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    With any luck, I'll see him serving me a drink and a hotdog at the half. But realistically, I think he's earned his way back onto the first team bench. God willing he won't see the pitch though.

7. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    san jose's forwards arent too fast, so i think matt might be able to hold his own with them.

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to correct a few facts about Akwari I saw here. First, he started more games at right marking back in the Crew's three man backline than any other player - Herdsman and Oughton split about half the games, and Akwari picked up the other half.

Second, the Crew had one of the top defenses in the league, and Akwari was a more-than-adequate contributer. You got yourselves a pretty promising player there.

If I were in charge, I'd probably start Pope and Dunseth, and Akwari would be the first option off the bench to spell either of those guys, followed by Pierce or Behncke. I was a little stunned at the number of primarily central defenders Ellinger drafted.

9. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I totally agree with you regarding Akwari. He's a nice player and will play a role this season. The problem is that there is nobody at left back. Tony Meola could start for us at left back right now. Maybe the solution would be to play a 3-5-2 and totally scrap the left and right backs....... but I'm sure Ellinger knows more than me.

10. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Not this game. Pope is suspended.

11. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know. I meant in general, those would be my starters.

12. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, I hate to retread this thread but here goes.....
    After a couple of games in purgatory playing for the reserves, Behncke got called up against the Fire for some first team football, and what a disaster. I was actually thinking that he might have a decent game, trying to make amends for his last time on the pitch, against LA. But no. A terrible performance from a terrible player. The guy is a disaster, either keep him with the reserves or release him. He's no better than Whitfield.

13. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't release him, not yet. We're losing Pope and Rojas to national team duties; without Behncke we'd be going to the guy who's below Behncke on the depth chart. And I'm not sure I want to see that guy start.

14. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  15. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sl7vk again."

Anyone who breaks that good of news deserves som rep. Someone get him for me.

16. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    gotcha covered

17. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Poor Matt, now he has to give up the night life in Salt Lake and that 24K salary to go use that old Princeton degree.

18. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    24k!!!!!!!
    I think it's now clear that he was the most overpaid player in the League. Not even Mathis can take that title now.

19. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I would love to partake of whatever the hell it is that you're smoking...... :D

20. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Think about....
    Don't tell me that you wouldn't take a grand for each defensive mistake you made in the middle of that defense.
    A grrrrrrrrrr per mistake. Seems like a great contract.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he and fellow released RSLer/Ivy league grad Kevin Ara can start a practice together.
    :)

22. Fougs

Fougs Member

May 26, 2004
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are awful! He definitely had a bad season with RSL, but he was very solid in Dallas and he's a great guy. I'm sure that freed up $24K will solve all your problems, though, so it's all good.

23. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, so solid in Dallas that you guys decided to let him go...... Hmmmm.....
    And he was probably making closer to 70k. Just for the record.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and so was Bechkne.

25. Fougs

Fougs Member

May 26, 2004
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys have no reason to agree with me- he did not produce for your team. I understand that.

For the record, Dallas didn't let him go- he was left unprotected during the expansion draft. They can't protect everyone.

Many of the Dallas fans would take him back in a heartbeat, me included. I wish you guys had gotten to see the honest, constantly-improving effort the guy puts in. He's not a superstar center back, but RSL's midfield and goalkeeping haven't exactly helped its defenders look good this season. As an off-the-bench player, for what he makes, he's a good buy.

Again, I completely understand where you guys are coming from. Just my opinion having watched him for 3 seasons in Dallas.