Rumor: Becks to set up MLS Miami Team Rumors continue...

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by chichi, Oct 1, 2009.

1. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm down with Becks. Anything that gets us back in MLS is OK with me.

3. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, even if it's the rumor Ed presents below...;)

You're a good guy, Ed, but this is something I'll have to see to believe...:)

4. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, however this is more than just a shot in the dark. Beckham has the option to own/part own a MLS team when his playing contract is up with LA, and of all the places where he could start a new team, where would one think he'd like to be? Atlanta? Montréal? Ottawa? Or Miami? If a Claure-esque investor comes along and wants to partner up and form a new team here, I don't see why Becks wouldn't be on board with that(he has said he wants to own a team). Maybe NYC or LA would be higher on his "want" list, but they already have teams(LA has two). When it comes to a Beckham expansion team, Miami is probably most likely.

5. FIUJoel

FIUJoel New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    Miami FC
    I love the idea and I think it'll be the perfect fit! I've got my thoughts on my blog HERE.

If this is a possibility, whoever is talking to Team Beckham better make it happen. It would be a SLAM DUNK. The Barca bid would be Mickey Mouse compared to this.

6. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about all that, but a Beckham backed bid would certainly be a lot less controversial than the Barça one was, but would still come with a good bit of the "sizzle" necessary to capture Miami fan's imagination(and wallets).

For me the key to all this(if it ever happens) is the stadium. What would a Becks-led group do? FIU or a new place? I think, like Barça, MLS would probably let Beckham do pretty much whatever he wants(as long as the ownership group has the $$$ to make the league confident), so a temp home such as FIU might fly. I hope though, that seeing first hand the atmosphere a venue like the HDC provides will convince Beckham and potential partners into building a SSS from day one.

7. FIUJoel

FIUJoel New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Club:
    Miami FC
    I was exaggerating with the whole Mickey Mouse thing, but it would be a more solid bid. I would guess the plan, if it was made, would be to make FIU a temporary home for a few years (I'm beginning to doubt the expansion to 45,000 for the time being, so capacity would be about 23,000 by 2012 and would most likely remain that way for a few years after that). But a plan would be in place to build a SSS. It better be with private dollars because I doubt the use of taxpayers' money would fly after the Marlins fiasco... If they want to go down that road they better get cozy at FIU or whatever stadium they decide to start off playing in.

8. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that sounds like a realistic scenario. However with problems already in Portland and Vancouver regarding stadium renovation promises and funding shortfalls, MLS may insist on a true SSS from day one. Montréal has one, they just need money from the local government to expand and they are as good as in. Even with Becks it may take a SSS to get Miami back in.

9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSRumors really is a reliable source:rolleyes:
    It makes Miami look so desperate it's not even funny.

It also states that Miami FC is not fielding a team next year, yet Aaron davidson says that their will be a Miami FC in 2010.

10. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the MLS Rumor link:
    http://www.mls-rumors.net/3830/2009...ourting-beckham/comment-page-1/#comment-23098

Actually it seems other teams have not signed up for USL either. I'm trying to find out which ones they are but the USL office is not cooperating. They don't want to look bad admitting they are going to be short on teams next year I guess.

11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard by 2 sources that their will be a MLS2: Rochester Rhinos owner and the new USL owner.

12. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice! Things will get interesting if that happens... I'm all for MLS-2.

Do you know if the Rhinos will be with USL? Did Tampa apply for USL or will they also jump ship?

I heard FIFA wouldn't approve of MLS-2 or another rouge league without promotion/relegation, and MLS also does not have a US anti-trust exemption which means USL could sue in US courts. (But then these are things I heard I'm no expert)

More Becks Links:

http://www.soccersam.com/news/weise/

http://themlsinternational.blogspot.com/2009/10/future-owners-of-mls-franchises.html

13. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Miami will fare no better in MLS-2 than they did in the USL. I have no confidence in this breakaway league. Not because they're breaking away, mind you, but because of who the movers and shakers are.

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed Miami fans are Miami FC fans during the season, but during the off-season a complete 360 and the MLS bug comes around.

15. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, but the USL is looking bad right now, and as much as im a Miami FC fan, having a Miami team in an MLS2 league i can gaurantee a move to the first division in no time which means that having miami fc in MLS2 will grow the fanbase and double it when it moves to MLS first division!!

Damn man I hate you, you just love to say negative shit...Well anyways I hope there will be an MLS2 because that means in no time promotion relegation will begin in the US!! I dont care what anybody says, who the hell is the US to say NO to promotion relegation and yet to be the ONLY league IN THE WORLD to be without it.

16. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that WSW seems to get his jollies by posting negative put-downs of Miami teams and their fans. I don't hate him for it. It's impossible to hate anything that pathetic. Pity is the more appropriate emotion, IMhO...;)

17. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude if Miami soccer fans are seriously embracing a RUMOR about Beckham buying a team in Miami, i feel sorry for you.;) BTW all the facts I have posted are true and the truth hurts

18. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the Q&A with Marcelo Claure?? huh?? If not beckham we have Marcelo Claure for the next chance at a team, and im thinking this time its going to be without another club... When is the next round of expansion?