Beckham's Ownership Move

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Skippysasquirrel, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Not if a deadline is in the contract.
    If there is, the parties can extend it.
    But they don't have to extended forever.

2. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you are correct.

falvo repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With Atlanta and LA coming in , the way its sounding is this new Beckham team will not be ready by 2018/19.

henryo repped this.
  4. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    #879 henryo, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Maybe Beck's have 20/20 Vision? :p

[​IMG]

5. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that Garber believes that it would be a plus to have Beckham in the league so I expect that MLS will keep giving Golden Balls extensions. But, MLS is going to require that a stadium deal with Miami-Dade County be signed, sealed and delivered before MLS will let Beckham field a team. And, that may never happen . . .

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But how do you know it will open MLS to a lawsuit?
    I'm certain MLS has better attorneys than that.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However I'll add that regardless of morons involved, MLS does want a large, Latin market like Miami in the league for television and corporate sponsorship reasons. Plus it's a good market for selling the location to potential star players.

8. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because that's what often happens when one party to a contract that involves big money breaks it.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Again, what I'm asking is why you think MLS giving Beckham a deadline breaks the contract?
    Have you read the contract?
    I have not, but MLS's lawyers can't possibly be that stupid.

10. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was writing something, then the app rudely shut off, when i went back my words were.gone so i said ******** that and just posted the link. Sorry about that, i just hate to write for no reason....

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm sure its been discussed somewhere but with Paolo Maldini's NASL team which is coming in next year, be a steppingstone for a merger with Beckham's MLS team or will there be two teams playing in two different stadiums? I just can't Miami will go from 0 to 2 clubs so soon....

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 completely different teams. Although I'll point out that other than announcing the recycled name, the NASL are about as far along as Becks & MLS at this point.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Kind of like Virgina and Oklahoma City. Not sure why the NASL makes these expansion announcements if nothing is certain or concrete.

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Same should be said for MLS.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes to a point I agree. LA was supposed to come back next year and now its been delayed. This Becks-Miami deal has also been in the works forever.. Beckham could have continued playing until he was 40 , going through the motions and walking around the pitch like Carlos Valderrama did and will have probably drummed up more enthusiasm than this expansion ordeal...

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are Cleveland and San Antonio the last 2 times MLS made announcements then nothing happened? I know St Louis is a sensitive subject, but they never announced anything there just teased, right? Miami and Minnesota (so far) would be in the SA/Cleveland level embarrassment.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By forever, you mean the last 18 months, right?

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bert Wolstein had signed a letter of intent to launch an MLS club but when he died in 2004 is when I think that deal fell through....

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well kind of. He retired in 2012 and he was interviewed back in 2010-11 I think it was about the expansion franchise that he said he would utilize.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps. But mls and Becks didn't announce anything until Feb 2014, which is when they officially put their foot into it. Before that just rumor, innuendo and media speculation.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I understand but the lure for him coming to MLS in 2007 when he initally signed his huge contract was that he would get an expansion team option. As a fan, I believed (at least from 2007-2012) that it was all but a formality but then we are learning it was all a bunch of nothing. I don't think anyone ever thought it would take this long..

22. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    There was also SJ who was announced and then couldn't get a stadium for some time.
    St. Louis had a soft announcement but not an "official" announcement.
    But the Minnesota and Miami clusters shock me.
    Extremely unprofessional.

I really wish MLS would explain what changed in Miami that in 4 short years it went from being an "adverse market" to some place they think they can build a stadium and maintain a successful franchise.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, Garber's comment 4+ years ago was based on reaction to Barca pulling out. Miami is a completely different town than it was when the Fusion were shut down, and even then their attendance wasn't that bad (compared to others at the time). The market has really improved from a soccer standpoint. However the Marlins tainted stink has had a massive effect on both public and government perceptions of the sporting industry. The real problem in my mind is Becks and friends need to stop looking from help from the public and look to do more a completely private style approach like Orlando.

Granitza78 repped this.
  24. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    A friend and I were talking about this Minnesota situation over the weekend. He said, I don't remember where I read or heard this but Bob Pohlad{one of the Twins owners] on the record somewhere said, "we would not have come this far only to lose the franchise. This will get done."

25. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't some of this uncertainty just part of the nature of professional sports? The NFL apparently has 3 teams willing to relocate to L.A. and 2 potential stadium plans (and that is after AEG pulled out Farmers Field). And, L.A. has been talked about for a number of years.