Beckerman out for Mexico--who's in?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tomásbernal, Jan 29, 2008.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read this on ussoccer.com. So now that Beckerman's out, who will be in, if anyone?

COMINGS AND GOINGS

Brad Guzan and Danny Califf re-joined the group last night and hit the training field this morning for the 90-minute session back on the Mooch Myernick Field. Meantime, bad news for Kyle Beckerman as a sprained left footed suffered in training yesterday has knocked the Real Salt Lake midfielder out of camp and back to Utah for treatment. Beckerman is expected to be back in action in less than two weeks.

2. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone Good

3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    in the grand scheme, beckerman is on the outside looking in...

edu, clark, bradley, pick 2 of the 3, ahead of beckerman...

4. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, hopefully Altidore gets called in, he really does deserve to start, but wouldnt mind seeing him get called in the 2nd half either.

5. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
  6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber is also ahead of Beckeman.

7. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    if feilhaber gets the call, then that means he'll play...

personally, i go with bradley and clark for a half, then bradley with edu....

although feilhaber did have the game winner in copa oro

8. Lobooho

Lobooho Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Cali
    Not meaning to be disrespectful but that truly was a million dollar shot.

9. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why was Beckerman ever in?

10. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I have never heard that term, but how could they be taken disrespectfully. He is the proud owner of the greatest strike an American has ever hit. His goal against China was pretty nice as well.

11. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    I No and then that hair LOL :D

12. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Benny hitting a similar volley against Bayern Munich last year in a Christmas Break friendly that was saved by Kahn....I'll see if I can find the vid of it for you.

I'm guessing "million dollar shot" means "once in a lifetime" and if so, is simply untrue.

13. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. My vote is for Eric Wynalda's free kick strike against Switzerland in the '94 World Cup. That goal was on an arguably bigger stage, and proved decisive in allowing us to advance to the 2nd round. And it was a REALLY beautiful goal.

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I love Bigsoccer.
    (Feilhaber at Hamburg) BS Poster: "This guy is the new Claudio Reyna, but with Brazilian flair!"
    (Feilhaber at Derby) BS Poster: "This guy is crap! Couldn't even start for RSL reserves"

He has talent, and is still decently young for a Central midfielder. He just needs a place to play. I think it's obvious to everyone that Derby is not that place and his style does not fit there.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    To be fair Feilhaber was getting that kind of hype in the media as well, and he's been dropped as a media darling likewise.

My take is like Gooch his deficiencies have been exposed, and it's uncertain whether either player can make it back to the Prem or any high level league.

16. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    My take is a little different. That both disappointed certain folks around here who had unrealistically high estimations of their capabilities. Both remain very talented players. But hell hath no fury like a BS diehard whose illusions have been shattered.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not "very talented".If they were very talented,they'd be on a team with higher aspirations than winning Belgium or staying up in England.

They're good,honest players.

18. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    i'm of the opinion players performance levels will vary, particularly if they are young...

i think gooch is good versus some types of players, and can have troubles with whippet, highly skilled types...

still, i don't see any other central defender who can clearly take the job away from him...

let's see mexico and spain for what happens to gooch...

he's not going away any time soon, meaning this wcq cycle

19. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No "arguably" about it, it was on THE biggest stage.

Benny's was sweet, but doesn't compare even to JOB's simple tap-in vs. Portugal in '02 in significance...

20. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

I am not talking about significance. I am talking about straight up best shot/strike. No it wasn't a world cup goal but that shot was better then either of those goals. Sorry.

21. Hate_Eternal

Hate_Eternal Member

Aug 6, 2006
    AVHC
    I was hoping to see Beckerman after the Sweden friendly, I know what Rico and Edu can do and I wanted to see Beckerman get a chance. I think he could provide that extra bite in the midfield but he is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to CM though.