Rumor: Because "It" (the rumors/gossip that is) just does not stop... - winter transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    huh?

Similar to RM under Jose where Oezil played as a 60 mins "creative runner".

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What? So you think Ozil and Dybala occupy different positions on the field? Both operate best behind the 9.

4. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic has got the mentality to succeed at a big club, and I hope that can be at United. I could see Bayern taking a punt once Robbery hangs it up.

jeff070 repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly why United have to move on him as soon as possible (ie next summer). It won't be long at all before Bayern or possibly some other big club, make their move for him.
    And United have a leg due to the fact that he's a confessed United fan and would surely favor/push for a transfer, if they showed interest.
    It's a marriage made in heaven, with untold possibilities on many different fronts.

6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The boy is still only 19. I seriously doubt Mourinho is going to urge Woody to go in with a massive offer for an unpolished gem. We're at the stage in the development of our recovery in the post-Ferguson era to be looking for a polished gem to complete the attacking 6. That's not going to be an American.

For depth, sure, the boy would be brilliant. But the last thing Pulisic should want to do is to join United as a squad man. He needs to be at a club that he can help carry, whether it's BVB or another club maybe of the caliber of Leicester City or Liverpool. But bring him to United and he either stagnates or he crumbles under the immense pressure if he's asked to, well, facilitate the attack.

Give the boy a few more years in Germany to learn the craft and if he becomes the next Coutinho when he's 21 or 22 then spend the 120m to bring him.

7. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He is as polished as you can get. His brain is better than 25 year olds.

8. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I hope you are right.

However, I hate the whole “he is a United fan” thing. We have heard that song too many times before and it meaning nothing.

benni... repped this.
  9. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but for what it's worth there was a picture floating around the internets of him at Old Trafford with his Dad when he was a lot younger.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does not necessarily mean anything in terms of the level of performance that we can hope to see. But as far as luring him to the club, it can make a big difference (in terms fulfilling a possible dream of his). Of course it wouldn't mean anything if the club does not have a registered interest in him.
    My point though is that with the options that may be available for a right sided forward, he's as good as there could be in my opinion. As much as I was high on Bale for instance, with him not being able to stay fit (and closing fast on 30), I'd rather go for someone with lots of upside (like Pulisic or Guedes). It only makes sense: especially for someone clearly mature beyond his years, like Pulisic.

11. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    If we sign him then I can’t see it as a RW signing. He’s not had an extensive run of RW games at club level to really be judged in that position.

12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i read in one of the rags that Cantona says we should sign Pastore. highly doubt anyone would entertain that idea

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He mentioned during his chat with the Fulltimedevils guys that he'd want him to get the #7 jersey and that he likes him a lot as a player. It obviously implies that he thinks the club should sign him, even if he stopped short of actually saying so.

15. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just came across that too. One hates to question Eric but on this occasion he should be questioned.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're being completely honest, with Pulisic we're talking about a player who is extremely versatile and comfortable in several positions. He can play anywhere across the front and he has played on the right plenty, be it with the US national team or with Dortmund.
    He's being deployed as a wingback today vs Schalke and has already contributed to a cross that lead to a goal so far.

17. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Then if we do sign him, sign him as a 10 so he can flit around, and let’s also get someone for whom RW is in his top 1 positions.

My concern is that I don’t think Pulisic would be a good enough RW to burn past LBs or really own his flank in the way that we need. He’s an intelligent player and he’s best when he can run at space inside onto his stronger foot. It’s so different for that sort of player if your stronger foot is outside rather than in.

I don’t want him as our RW signing unless he’s capable of making that his best position. I see no evidence of that right now. If we want him as a 10 then we need an elite RW who is producing now. I still don’t know who that is.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #218 Ashur, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    I can appreciate your thoughts on the subject, but the problem is twofold, the way I see it. First, as mentioned, the number of quality RW, who can make that flank their own as you said, are few and far in between. Bale is one and as much as I was in favor of bringing him in just this past summer, I'm starting to change my tune about him: his inability to stay fit, age and price do not make him attractive in the least anymore. A very big and pricey gamble.
    Gelson Martin is another one that is mentioned, but he's one I'm not convinced with yet based on what I've seen so far. The 2 best options I can think of, based on your criteria are Leon Bailey and Goncalo Guedes. If we can convince their current clubs to sell, then great. Bailey just moved to Leverkusen this season and I don't know what PSG's intentions are with Guedes tbh.
    Those guys though bring me to the second issue, which is Jose and the type of player he wants in that position. Just in his last stint at Chelsea, guys like Cuadrado and Salah, who both seem like the prototypical RW, were both discarded by him, in favor of someone like Willian (or Pedro). I don't have anything against him personally, but Willian is very much a player in the Pulisic mould: a worker with big discipline at both ends of the pitch, super high workrate and engine. Not particularly tricky and can play on the wings or more in a central position.
    Rumors about Jose going back for Willian, are once again making the rounds (especially with him not being a regular under Conte). As mentioned, I'd be fine with that type of right sided presence, but like Matic last summer and especially for that position, I'd rather look at a long term option, over someone like Willian, who is closing in on 30 and will be a short term option.
    Worst comes to worst, Pulisic can always be moved inside once Jose leaves (as he was fated to do), but for now, he'd make a definite upgrade on anything we have to offer at the moment on the right, and he's a player, with the quality and characteristics he possesses, who would be right up Jose's alley IMO.

19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Gelson Martins won’t amount to anything.

If we go for Pulisic as a RW then we need an elite 10. If we go for Pulisic as a 10 then we need an elite RW, be that someone who goes outside or inside, but ideally outside. We desperately needed Mané or Sané. Or indeed Salah.

In either case we need 2 players for those 2 roles, we need to offload 2 or 3 players from those positions in the squad right now to allow for those signings, and we need more creativity and penetration than Pulisic alone could provide.

cr7torossi repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really maddening indeed when we think of all the quality wingers we've passed on. One of Sane, Mane or Salah alone could (or even should have been ours).
    As far as a 10 goes, it's becoming clear that a new one is needed. Mata loves the club and seems content with his role as a squad guy that I'd keep him around and let Miki go. Don't know if Woody would have it in him to go for 2 big money purchases in one year, but if he were, then Pulisic and make a move for Dybala would be the way I would go.
    If that's going to be too much coin for United to spend in one summer (considering there are still other needs as well), that's where Ozil comes in: he's not a long term guy in the least or even the ideal solution, but he'd be free (thus freeing up cash for other players) and in the right hands, he's stilla fantastic player as well. And he'd buy the club at least a couple of years, before having to go for another 10. And by then, who knows, maybe Pereira and/or Gomes will be ready to make the position their own.
    But as previously mentioned, we need to do something ASAP about the right flank: the team is lopsided and unbalanced. And as a result, it makes us easier to figure out for opposing teams (and easier to defend against).

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Salah isn't a winger. He's a wing forward of which we already have two very good ones.

22. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    He is a fake 9 currently, Sane is the only winger in that lot

23. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Currently but not historically.

Oezil often played as a right sided playmaker as RM and Dybala of course had had success as a wing forward.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He plays on the right at Pool, just as he did with Roma and he would be a more effective option than anything we currently have to offer by some margin (including Rashford).
    Besides, in Jose's system/setup especially, a winger is not really what is needed, so much as a viable right sided attacking presence/option.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  25. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Sane, Mane and Salah have all distinguished themselves on the right, in ways that would have made us so much better going forward. Not necessarily exclusively of any other positions, but they have, both at their current and previous clubs.

And, we have 2 very good LEFT wing forwards. We need to sort out the RIGHT winger (or wing forward, but feel free to have that fascinating conversation alone somewhere) situation. That was the whole point that was being discussed. We don’t need another option on the left. Why be pedantic about wingers vs wing forwards and then not know your left from your right?