Beautiful Photos Thread

Discussion in 'Art & Architecture' started by DayGrowsOld, Apr 23, 2010.

1. DayGrowsOld

DayGrowsOld Member

Apr 1, 2010
    post the beautiful photos you found here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
  3. DayGrowsOld

DayGrowsOld Member

Apr 1, 2010
  4. Surabhi

Surabhi New Member

May 8, 2013
    Ultimate photos all they are really. . .:)

5. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm partial to a few of these that I have taken due to sentimental reasons:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trini_Boi and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. sonia131

sonia131 New Member

May 18, 2013
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
  7. sonia131

sonia131 New Member

May 18, 2013
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A mantis on some kind of plant, looks a bit like he's riding to work

[​IMG]

This one is NOT "beautiful" and there's nothing beautiful about the whaling industry, but I've never seen anything like it, in terms of color and composition (I first saw it in a World Rivalries post from ceezmad). In a different time, it might have been in an ad for Kodachrome. Whaling in the Faroe Islands.

[​IMG]

La Magica and guignol repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Miami Heat v. Milwaukee Bucks, NBA regular season game, Dec 6, 2010, Milwaukee.

[​IMG]

I'd almost forgotten about this one. Sports photojournalism at its finest, without a word of text. Dwyane Wade is celebrating a dunk LeBron James hasn't even made yet. It completely illustrates why a certain stuffy, immature type of basketball fan hates this team. The photo went pretty viral as it is, just being basketball. Can you imagine how utterly badass this would have been if it'd been a soccer team?

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not in the same league (in at least two senses), but a guy I have coffee with won a state-wide photojournalism prize with a pictue of a simple in-bounds play... Before it even gets started...

[​IMG]

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    usscouse, Auriaprottu and guignol repped this.
  12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    this is how i remember HS basketball, some of the places we'd go play had this little room for throw-ins. but home games had a different kind of psyche... the visitors would come in and see a real arena with 2000 seats, a huge bulging trophy case, big walls full of championship banners and think: "damn, between frosh, JV and varsity this school has won 60 titles in 25 years... what the hell are we doing here?"

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Another you've all seen before, but still worthy of inclusion. Fan crying in celebration following Manchester City's Premiership title-clinching win over QPR. This image reminds me of what the institution of football means to society, and reminds me of how much the big clubs' supporters are missing out in some ways. Despite my occasional rants about increasing parity so that clubs will have something closer to an equal opportunity, I do realize that United fans can never, ever know a moment like this one because, for them, there are so many moments. This is one for the little guys.

[​IMG]

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Slate.com: Skateboard photos from the 70s

They aren’t filled with water, but the swimming pools photographed in Craig Fineman’s book Pools are a refreshing and nostalgic look back at 1970s skateboarding culture.

Although Fineman passed away in 2003 at the age of 51, Stussy stores along with Dashwood Books have released a limited-edition 68-page book with never-before-seen images that showcase Fineman’s work.

At first glance, he black-and-white images seem like illustrations or charcoal drawings. Fineman’s use of angles and perspective captures the athleticism of the skaters, not to mention the fashion of longhaired shirtless boys, an iconic part of ’70s culture.​

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The whole question of beauty gets trick in documentary photographs (as Aurioprottu indicates above), but...

More from Slate documenting, the 70s,, this time with professional photographers working with the EPA...

How do you take a problem as broad as “the environment” and then subdivide that by issues specific to every state in America—and then further subdivide it by issues related to culture, politics, and race? You might try to divide and conquer. In a way, that was the idea behind the Documerica Project, created by the Environmental Protection Agency in 1971.

Documerica set out to capture how America viewed the rapidly deteriorating environment marked by issues of pollution and waste taking shape around the country.

Founded by Gifford Hampshire, Documerica lasted about six years, hired roughly 70 photographers, and knocked out 115 assignments in all 50 states. Photographers were paid $150 a day plus film and expenses and were given the creative freedom to interpret environmental issues outlined to them from EPA employees.

The results—22,000 images—ended up documenting environmental issues and brought another meaning to environment that focused on local neighborhoods, social issues, political changes, and the remarkable fashion trends typical of the 1970s.

The National Archives in Washington, D.C., edited through the archives of Documerica and has put on view an exhibition titled “Searching for the Seventies: The Documerica Photography Project”that will run through Sept. 8 in the Lawrence F. O’Brien Gallery.

[​IMG]

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I looked at your link and also Googled to see if Fineman had ever shutterbugged for Skateboarder magazine, because their action photos of the Dogtown boys and the Sims team were second to none. Didn't see anything I recognized, but the link's cool all the same.

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    skateboarder? meh. i almost got two shoots into thrasher back in the early 80's, but the problem with the first was that despite the photos being pretty nice from an artistic point of view (though nothing like the ones in the above link) i had framed most of them with part of the board not in the shot, and only then was told about that particular golden rule to skate photography. the second one was about skaters in europe, and i got some good reporting done in berlin, vienna and amsterdam, but didn't develop the film until i got back to the states and nothing came out good enough to publish.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Yup, without the whole board and/or all four wheels in the frame, it's tough to know what the skater is doing and how difficult it is. Helps to have at least the lip of the pool or half-pipe in it as well.

I'll admit that I hold Skateboarder above Thrasher because my heroes (Alva, Adams, Kubo, Humpston, Valdez, guys in that era) were in it more often. I always perceived the later mags as spending too much time on freestylers and DIY rampbuilders and not enough on pool and pipe riders. Everybody could build a decent half-pipe --which we did, many times-- but few of us had kidney pools around, and even fewer of us knew of kidney pools around that the owner was willing to drain and let teenage boys skate in without fear of a suit. I wanted to read about the skater's life I wasn't able to lead.

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'd better add a couple of my shots to the beautiful photos thread.....:)

Tugboat, out of the fog:
    [​IMG]

Back Yard Rhody:
    [​IMG]

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    here are four i've taken in my garden that aren't as good as yours... i suppose i really need to get a better camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boogie_Down repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

Baby in Halloween costume. I saw this one before it hit big in that commercial, and put it on my fb page to mixed reviews. Most of the replies were of the "So cute, but so wrong" type.

Dr. Wankler and usscouse repped this.
  22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    They
    They're not that bad at all , got a lot of bugs on your flowers though..:)

I like that pretty shot of the of the roses.
    Your fish appears to be about the size of mine.

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Bambi is back again this year, with the brat. Saw a pair of twins the other day just couldn't get to my camera fast enough. They'll be back. We get deer every day now.

Shot these off my deck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boogie_Down and guignol repped this.
  24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    We went out early to try some more long exposure shots the other morning. Shot at f22 and at about a one full minute exposure. they show how a 2foot wave turns into mist.

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

Dr. Wankler and Boogie_Down repped this.
  25. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Bucky's back at my crabapples...! Bucky's been coming here for a few years now and getting bigger all the time.

Just good buddies though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

guignol repped this.