Beat get Solo, Aluko & Ellertson!!!

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by kbritt1967, Jun 1, 2010.

1. futbolreal

futbolreal Member

Oct 31, 2009
    \

True, these are professional athletes and when they commit to teams through free agency or the various drafts the player is aware that her position is not safe unless she has a guaranteed contract. This is a realistic expectation. However, it was not a realistic expectation that two teams would fold within 4 months impacting 44 players.

Also, the Beat players have been impacted the most. The Beat saw an infusion of three unexpected players due to the Sol's folding, dispersal draft and trades- Manya Mayoski (season ending injury), Kerr and O'Neil. The Athletica's demise saw five new players added which displaced four additional players (two rostered, one developmental and one yet to be announced) That's a total of eight players within a four month period of time. As stated above, this scenario would not have been a reasonable expectation on any professional athlete's part. So, if there are some frustrations being expressed, these are to be expected.

Lastly, assigning fault to the players or the coach is not productive at this point. If anything, the league is at fault for not putting mechanisms in place to ensure that teams do not fold immediately prior to and during the season.

2. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still looking for all these unhappy twitters you attribute to "some of the Beat players." Granted, my Twitter skills are somewhat akin to my 90 year old Grammie's ability to program her VCR, but I tried. I really tried. Would you mind giving examples of the unhappy tweeters?

3. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, Solo still hasn't been assigned a new jersey number. Ellertson, Aluko and Chalupny all have. THink that means she's not playing this weekend?

4. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing an article where Hope said she was going to take a little time off and go to the World Cup.

5. kittenbiscuits

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was before she was signed, and she has practiced this week. but it'd be nice to know for sure what's going on.

6. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Win.

8. kittenbiscuits

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i love this! and the colors are a vast improvement!

Solo has been given #78 the same number she used for the allstar game. So pending the roster report she might be playing this weekend.

9. righty44

righty44 New Member

May 27, 2010
    NC
    Check out GKMLM....the developmental goalies twitter. She is often on Manya Makoski's so easy to find. She had some tweets and also referred to Stacy Bishop in one that makes it appear that there was some unhappiness about what was going down. I could have interpreted them wrong but the timing is just right, and the fact that she is probably close to going since they don't need 4 goalkeepers. I just think that if you are in the public eye, and your twitter had made you identifiable to fans, then that is not the type thing you post. It makes her, and other teammates look bad in my opinion.

10. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be hatin' on the ketchup and mustard!

11. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. Still waiting for my copy of Twitter for Dummies.

12. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I just checked out GKMLM and didn't see anything that could be construed as "negative" only stuff that seemed as if she were sad about the entire situation. Her latest tweet clarifies by saying: "GKMLM ummm I love my team and the changes that were made... sooo righty44 on bigsoccer I hope you are reading this and FULLY understand everything that I just tweeted about because if not then direct message me.. thank you and good day.. because what you said #wasnotokay.. in my opinion "

Guess that should pretty much clear up her feelings on the new members of her team. Maybe next time instead of attributing negative comments to "some of the players on the Atlanta Beat" you should give them the benefit of the doubt. People can be sad about a situation, such as the fact that the Athletica folded and express their sadness, without being bitter about their own situation.

Your uninformed comments made the entire team look bad and caused some very unfounded negative comments to be made about them on this website. Please be more careful in the future when posting.

13. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thing: GKMLM--I love your hair! I hope you have an opportunity to learn a lot from Solo and I hope to see you on the WNT some day. You are an awesome woman.

14. righty44

righty44 New Member

May 27, 2010
    NC
    Wowwwwwww. I read some things and interpreted them the way that I saw them and mentioned it on here to see if anyone else might have noticed or interpreted them the same way. Thought that was what message boards were all about but apparently not.

Hope your new players help turn your season around. See ya.

15. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to read the tea leaves here, but the roster report threw me. If Whit is not on the travelling roster, then who is? I had heard Hope was headed for South Africa, but maybe not.

After seeing the roster report my inference is that Hope will be in the mix for CRS game, with Brett backing her up.

Very interesting.

16. Pendragon

Pendragon New Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on a twitter post by Hope 2 days ago, she was practicing with Atlanta this week. Also, photo of Eniola practicing in Beat gear on the Atlanta site. Roster photos of Hope, Tina, Eniola, & Carolyn are in Atlanta jerseys, but Lori's is unchanged (still Athletica green). Probably no significance other than she hasn't had time to get a new photo.

Odd how Whitworth has been handled so far this season. She has the only shutout this season for a Beat keeper, which is also the only game the Beat earned any points.

The game vs Chicago should be interesting with the new additions and Mami back from nat team duty and McCall back from injury.

17. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know if Solo is playing for sure this weekend?

I thought she said she wasn't going to sign until she got back from the World Cup in South Africa.

18. kittenbiscuits

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    she said that but then she signed on tuesday. perhaps she was jesting to the person who asked? also if she wasn't planning on playing you'd think they wouldn't have her on the roster, but she's there.

my guess is that she's available, and it will be the coach's decision if she plays or not.

19. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She has been practicing with the Beat this week, so I'm thinking her World Cup plans may have been an off the cuff remark. Better than, "I'm gong to Disney," right?

20. jolieandbecks

jolieandbecks Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States