Beat get Solo, Aluko & Ellertson!!!

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by kbritt1967, Jun 1, 2010.

1. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woohoo I'm so excited!!!

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If ATL could have gotten Boxx and passed on her, that was a huge mistake. This team really needs someone to play holding midfield. Boxx would immediately make both the defense and offense better. She is the player with the highest impact available from the STL debacle. Yeah, Solo is a great keeper but ATL needs someone to run that midfield.

3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tandum of McNeill and Ellertson with Solo behind them reunited. Watch out.

4. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed about Boxx...she would have been my first choice, too. It'll be interesting to see who scooped her up. Also, Aluko is the highest scorer in the league right now (even after missing last weekend) & Atlanta needs someone who can score goals. I'm not going to complain that the Beat ended up with 3 of St. Louis' 5 or 6 best players.

5. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Keep the faith. We have been working around the clock on this. Also, got Carolyn Blank, a player who many have said has been showing up several US Nat players...a real up and comer. We already had a great core of players (even if the record has not shown it) and a great coach. We hope and expect that these additions will truly help us get to where we want to go. Now it is up to you to help us fill that stadium and give the ladies a true home field advantage, while seeing great soccer... See ya there.

6. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to the Beat management & coaches for stepping up and securing some world-class players. Hoping that Aluko will be able to give Bachmann someone to help her up front & now we should have THE BEST defense in the league!!!

Question: assuming the Beat will let go one of the 4 keepers...which one will go?

Thanks, GM, for replying!

7. Mimsy Borogoves

Sep 6, 2009
    A question for the GM:

I realize that you can"t discuss salary specifics, but with these moves, you seem to have made a big increase in your payroll.

Was the salary cap increased ? If not, how did you do it ?

8. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree that the Beat literally screamed after a veteran presence like Boxx in their past showings. Would have been my first, obvious choice for this team, too. BUT in the end it was crucial defending (lapses) and clutch scoring that costed Atlanta points in the standings. With Solo, Ellertson and Aluko these aspects have been perfectly addressed.

I just hope that the management didn`t become overly confident with the payroll. WPS has used up its cushion of teams to fold for the very next future.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. Bank might be able to fill that holding mid role, then.

Very good point. Cost containment & roster balance is key for the teams on the payroll side. Of course, solid ownership and sponsorships is key on the business side.

10. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news, hopefully this will get the team going in the winning direction.

11. atlsoccerfan2010

atlsoccerfan2010 New Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Awesome! New team, new stadium, new players! Sounds like a winning combination! GO BEAT!

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This.
    Also, Aluko + Bachmann should be an amazing tandem up front.

McNeill, Woz/Kerr, Ellertson, Solo, Aluko.... It seems you guys are to Athletica what FCGP is to the Sol, only about twice so....

I know who I'm cheering for the rest of the season.

13. Cupidcat

Cupidcat Member

Feb 20, 2010
    germany
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, but is the present coach able to point them in the right direction. From what I have seen from the games up to now, at least 50 percent of the weaknesses stem from the bench. Anyone who is happy, for example, with letting certain players lose 80 percent of the ball cannot be termed good .:confused:

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are all these former Athletica players going to be available this coming weekend in Chicago?

15. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    The salary cap was not increased $1. The number of spots has not increased. However, the number of internationals did increase to 6 from 5. We have done a good job of managing our slary cap, so were positioned to be able to take on these players. In addition, these players wanted to be here to help us build the best team in the world.

16. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Atlanta fans. Not only are all three great players - they're also stand-up people and great assets to the team in fan terms. Enjoy the rest of the season!

17. blt101912

blt101912 New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Has there been any word as to what the rest of the roster moves will be made to get the new players on the team?

18. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think a goalkeeper might go. Most teams go with two regular keepers and one developmental. Of course, we've been hearing that Solo was going to the World Cup and that she might not be immediately available. But that was before the signing, so I don't know.

19. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    what is exactly wrong with Heath for it to be season ending? I thought it was just an ankle injury?

20. sawatdee

sawatdee New Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've been thinking about this, and also talking to a couple friends. Tobin is the kind of person who would ask to be dropped to IR if she wasn't comfortable with where she was, or where she would be. she was sick, now she's hurt-- it has to be taking a toll on her. maybe she just wants time to work through it and not be so rushed or pushed?

22. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured that since her ankle required surgery that by the time she was fit again the season would be near over. so, it would make more sense to put her on the season ending list for the roster spot instead of keeping her on the injured reserve list and not being able to fill the roster spot with a new player that can play for most of the season.

23. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you enjoy inheriting a supporters group. You're welcome. ;)

That translates to, the Army will be to probably 2 games this year and we are going to Chicago Sunday.

Who do I contact about bring drums into your new park? I'll still wear green, but with more players on your team, I cheer for the girls that used to wear green. Viva La Athletica!

24. AlwaysAthletica

May 28, 2010
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am SOOOOOOO happy to hear this! And what wonderful timing - Chicago THIS weekend! Trying to work out the logistics... we definately want to go and will wear our GREEN & bring our FLAG!

This reminds me of our trip to Chicago on 9/20/08...USAWNT game...we had just found out we were getting Tina, Lori & Hope. We were so thrilled we painted the windows of the van with the info for our road trip. Then Lori scored a goal that night.... Ah, what a fond memory!

Now Atlanta has Carolyn Blank too! She was doing very well this season!

Rokagrl13 - I can't wait to see the Army on hand! :D

I hope Lori gets signed soon!

25. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad the Athletica fans have adopted the Beat as their new team..Welcome Athletica fans. Since we have 7 former St, Louis players I guess you can call us St Louis East.