Beasley to Puebla [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jeffmefun, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    What attention, "hey aging Euros, why play for oil and gas money in the Middle East when you can play for oil and gas money in NYC"? Lampard and Xavi aren't going to draw in the every-four-years fans that watched Beasley and Jones this summer.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I wonder about that. I am not privy to any inside numbers, but, aside from Beckham who clearly brought an international celeb personality and attention to the league, I wonder if the Henry's, Xavi's etc. bring more long term interest/money than "home grown" guys like Bease, Convey, Feilhaber etc. returning or special cases like JJ.

I'm sure MLS does some sort of breakdown, but the costs of the two types of players are quite different. I wonder if the payoff is as well.

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I know you can't keep up. You're not even following the money and I thought that was one thing you were good at.

They made money off Beck's shirt sales alone. Now, add the skivvies and they have made a fortune.

That's right. They were basically negotiating against themselves because Donovan would have ran home regardless.

Now, Zusi's deal bears watching. It's not like the guy was recruited heavily. He was on $450K already. How much more would he have made overseas?

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That's' why I specifically excluded Beckham. He is clearly a celeb of "money moving" stature. But Henry, who got not that much less guarenteed salary. What was his bump versus, say, what Bease might bring.

I really don't know - but I bet Henry shirt sales are not all that lucrative relative the investment.

We probably will never know the details, but I would bet WC vet USMNT players sell a few tickets, esp. in the season right after the cup.

5. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have overall numbers but Henry is currently fourth in jersey sales
    http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article...onovan-top-list-best-selling-mls-jerseys-2014
    He was second in 2012
    http://m.mlssoccer.com/blog/mls-insider/2012/09/11/top-selling-jerseys-mls

freisland repped this.
  6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please please please tell me that pitch wasn't a short hop to the catcher.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #832 freisland, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    Clearly the international stars move some jerseys. If Henry outsold LD in 2012 he had to be moving a decent number. I'd love to see the # of items shipped. My guess is LD and Becks were the only two players to consistently move meaningful (to the league) numbers of shirts, but Henry might be up there with LD.

Does anyone know how MLS's merch deals with their star players look?

I know this is sort of OT and mods just let me know if you want me to take it elsewhere, but it does relate to contracts.

Here's an older number, but for those that point to shirt sales, it is not an important revenue stream for the league.

"MLS licensed product sales in 2006 were $150 million, compared with $400 million for the National Hockey League and $3.5 billion for the National Football League, which earns the most of all the U.S. sports leagues, Powell said.

``$150 million is a non-event; it's walking around money,'' Powell said. ``I'm sure Beckham is going to make a difference, but this gives you a sense of how tiny this business is right now.''

It is the added sponsorship a star gets a team - and increased luxury box and season ticket sales that matter. Does Bease move that needle is the question.

I don't know the answer.

PSG releases indicate they expect very good rev. from his sales:

David Beckham, set to make his debut for Paris Saint-Germain next weekend, has raised a staggering £1billion in shirt and boot sales in his career, with £15million worth expected from his five-month stint in the French capital alone.

The French club, bankrolled by Qatar's sovereign wealth fund, expect to cash in on the Beckham factor by selling 150,000 replica kits bearing the former England captain's name before the end of the season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ckham-shirt-sales-1billion.html#ixzz3874yIy8C

That is still less than 15 million Euro gross, which is nice, for sure, but probably only pays the club/league a relatively modest license fee.

Hobo repped this.
  8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High and tight to a right handed batter, moving him off the plate. Jones all the way!

9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    491243511250169856 is not a valid tweet id

10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know Jermaine wouldn't hesitate to throw a little chin music to someone crowding the plate. He wouldn't wait for a batter to charge the plate, he'd be the first to charge homeplate!

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't keep up because the goalposts are always moving.

12. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd make a great pinch runner. Would you want to be covering a base when JJ slides in?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider 28m
    Beasley deal with MLS likely to be finalized this week. Club tbd

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    DP money. Go figure.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, to clarify:

Beasley plays for Chicago, gets sold to PSV, plays abroad for a decade, comes back to MLS on a DP contract, avoids the allocation order.
    Edu plays for Toronto, gets sold to Rangers, plays abroad for six years, comes back to MLS on a DP contract (on loan), goes to Philadelphia via the allocation order.

What am I missing?

16. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edu is younger and on loan while Beasley was gone for 10 years....who knows....those are the only things that are different.

17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #842 FlipsLikeAPancake, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    I think the difference is that Edu returned to MLS with his tail between his legs after a failed loan to Stoke City, while Beasley is returning after playing starting every game and playing well in his 4th World Cup.

I think it's also about how involved MLS is directly. If MLS really wants an American DP (like it did with Bradley and Dempsey) it is willing to let them go to the team of their choice. It now seems like MLS really wants Beasley.

But with Edu, he was directly negotiating with the Union, not MLS. From an MLS perspective, this is important. If MLS decided a player was worth DP money and also worth bypassing the allocation order as a condition for signing them, that's one thing. But if every team individually could make that determination...well, that would cause problems from MLS's perspective.

Guys like Goodson, Parkhurst and Feilhaber returned to MLS on non-DP salaries in the 300K range. If teams could just decide to give DP wages to bypass the allocation order, then teams could have just offered 400K plus and sign them. This has the double effect of causing wage inflation and undermining parity. After all, bad teams get to be high in the allocation order, which means they potentially have the opportunity to sign an impact player or use the slot as a valuable trading chip. But why give allocation money or draft picks to get the top spot if you can just pay the player himself 100 grand more?

So as convoluted and inconsistent as the rule's application has been, I understand MLS HQ's motivations.

Edit: It's also possible that Goff is just speculating that Beasley being a DP means he won't be subject to the allocation order.

18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If someone is willing to give him DP money, more power to him!!

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That MLS still makes shit up on the fly.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  20. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Only players signing full time contracts with mls, not those on loans or temporary deals, are exempt from the allocation process when singing DP deals.

See how easy it is to make up the rules as you go? Preemptive note- there better not be other players I am not thinking of that burst my bubble.

superdave repped this.
  21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    An apparel royalty rate is between 5% and 10% of the total sales. It may rise for the likes of Becks - the Beatles are charging 15% for the likeness of John-George-Paul-Ringo - but MLS is probably at the low end of the range with the NFL at the high end.

And 5% of $150M is walking money.

Looking at the MLS top names, it seems that there's a great indifference on the buyer's part with regard to a particular player. They will buy a Galz shirt with the name they recognize rather than ask for a particular name first.

The opposite of that would be Bieber's items ... come to think of it, a Galaxy Bieber shirt would probably become numero uno overnight.

chalaron repped this.
  22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    491673488185622528 is not a valid tweet id

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    491682637619404800 is not a valid tweet id

491692174543962113 is not a valid tweet id

Based on Goff and the assumption that he's coming in as a DP, that leaves:
    - Chivas USA
    - Colorado
    - Columbus (though Berhalter said he wasn't interested)
    - Houston
    - New York
    - Philadelphia
    - San Jose

24. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My money is on philly.

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBNY could really use Beasley, but we've been pinching pennies recently.