Beasley slams Dynamo in statement about retirement

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by kruck, Aug 9, 2019.

1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    https://sbisoccer.com/2019/08/damar...e=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

At the end of the day when you get older, you want to win,” Beasley told SBI ahead of Houston’s match against New York City FC on Thursday. “The fact that we haven’t had a lot of success with the Dynamo in the last 4-5 years, since I’ve been with the club, it takes a toll. It takes a toll, and that’s just me being 100, 1,000 percent honest."

It’s no disrespect to the club, it’s no disrespect to none of the coaches, the players that I’ve played with, because they’ve all been great. They’ve all been great. But at the same time for some reason we haven’t figured it out and we haven’t had a consistent team that’s gotten to the playoffs and had a chance to do something great. A little bit of that is why I was like, ‘Okay, I’m ready to do something else.'”

Essentially he is retiring because the organization sucks and he doesn't want to be a part of our loser organization anymore.

As public a shot as you'll see a player make.

We are truly pathetic. We have to be the most pathetic organization in the league at this point.

Borrachin, MannieG, CeltTexan and 2 others repped this.
  2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See other thread where we are kicking around this specific article from our club Captain.

3. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Which thread?

4. OnceAggie

OnceAggie Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    hes right you know/morgan freeman gif

5. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Could be worse. We could be the Chicago Fire.

God we've sunk low that I cant think of anyone else at our level of disfunction. Orlando, maybe?

6. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Rapids and Whitecaps.

I take schadenfreude in Orlando, but feel like they'll eventually figure it out ala Toronto and move ahead of us.

League looks like they're trying to intervene to save Chicago. Maybe four-five years down the road we'll merit intervention.

7. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    The Rapids problem is just lack of fs to give by ownership. Different type of dysfunction.

The Caps are a good shout though.

8. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando at least is trying (acquisitions, coaching changes, saying the right things), and has decent support. Can't say either about the Dynamo.

Dynam0 repped this.
  9. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whitecaps sounds right. Rapids have poor FO but seem to be giving some effort on the field. Lots of moves, collected together a decent roster.

10. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isn't wrong.

We also initially spent DP money on him which you don't do for an aging left back.

That was Garber telling Houston "You take him and we'll make it up to you."

11. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ran into Damarcus today at a local restaurant. Told him in no uncertain terms that I was sorry his final year had to end like this. Good guy and took a bit of time to speak with me even though I was interrupting his lunch.

kruck, Soccergodlss, CeltTexan and 2 others repped this.
  12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of seeing him in public around town...Did anyone else pick up on Beaz and Manotas being at the Academy off South Gessner and Highway 59 this afternoon from 14:00 to 18:00?!? Or if this is true, was it moved do to the conflict with the Astros playoff game at the exact same time.

Also, wasn't Matt Jordan doing a Q n A session today for us to log into and interact with???

13. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Matt's Q and A was exactly what you expect: empty and meaningless.

14. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I believe nothing will change with this team. They will move forward with their "strategic plan" of putting together a cheap product and attract the Instagram generation, which is more preoccupied with what is going on in the stands than what is happening on the pitch.

Soccer fans better look elsewhere

15. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Soccer fans are generally smart enough to know when the wool is pulled over their face, that's the problem.

Dynam0 repped this.
  16. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that this new management team seems to have decided that soccer fans are not the demographic they're interested in.

They recognize that they are still bleeding season ticket holders some of whom have been with the team since day 1.

They recognize that the ownership group has a plan which does not include investing the amount of money necessary to compete with the other teams in the league.

Accordingly, they've decided to abandon the traditional season ticket holder in favor of courting a new demographic, the cool millennial with their social media devices that can be operated at blazingly fast speeds in the stadium.

If it works, next season will be full of selfies featuring BBVA Stadium, special "membership" events at your local put put, and karaoke nights at half time.

Dynam0 and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good read.

From that article:

“A guy who’s played in four World Cups, to have as many caps as he has, you’d put him up there with some of the greatest careers in the history of American soccer,” said Davy Arnaud, Houston’s interim head coach and Beasley’s former international teammate. “He’s athletic, he’s quick, he’s fantastic with his feet but his reading and his understanding of the game I think is what has taken him to the highest level.”

What kept him there is pragmatism: his twilight years have been a masterclass in managed decline as he transitioned to making left-back his permanent position in his early 30s as his body slowed but his mind stayed sharp.

Turns out, pace took him to the top but stamina kept him there. And Beasley proved exceptional not only in his durability, but his resilience. “If they say that I’ve done this or done that… it doesn’t bother me either way,” he said. “Me, I play for the people that’s in [the locker room], I play for my family, the fans, that’s it.”

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Beasley and think he has been a great player in his career professionally and with the USMNT. I applauded for him yesterday on that basis.

But he is not a Dynamo club legend. I’m sorry that he’s played in the era of Brener cheapness but what does he have to show for it in Houston? A lot of injuries and a leaky back line? And I don’t want to hear about the US Open Cup, that’s the most overrated trophy

*rey* repped this.
  20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I get what you are saying, I do need to remind anyone reading that he was our Captain. Which is in a good company of footballers to have worn the Wildcatter Orange shirt. Wade, who passed it on to Ching, who passed it on to Brad Davis, who passed it on to Rico. And when Rico retired, Rico was the one to pass the armband on to Beasley.
    With that said, the importance of being a Captain in soccer, is the way a man leads his teammates on all fronts. What Beasley did over and over was encourage the younger players/be a mentor to them as a seasons veteran which they all spoke so highly of this from DMB. On speaking, Beasley spoke Spanish with the Latino corps of players on our team, as Captain he displayed over and over a calm in front of dubious MLS ref calls, he lead by example our team in regional play, scoring absolute GOLAZOS against Guastatoya and Club America! and of course how the man as a Captain carries himself on camera and out in public. More so in that soccer is so unheard of for so many Americans that the figures that they do see need to have a marketability which DMB has on lock. Westie, he played the most matches for us in Houston than he did for Chicago, PSV, Rangers, Man City and so on so yes he is a legend as American soccer players go! Glad he is now a legend for us in Houston. Our pantheon of soccer greats is second to none in MLS! De Ro, Onstad, Ching, Holden and DMB.

21. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Rico didnt retire. He left.

And I dont see Run as a club legend personally. El Presidente, si. Hard to distinguish but to put it bluntly, it always looks like Boniek loves every second being here and always wants more for everyone while Run...not so much. I cant put my finger on any instance. Just...the vibe.

Arbitrary I know, but...what I got.

Thanks Run for everything. A legend of the game in the US. No doubt.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another good read on our man DMB.
    https://sbisoccer.com/2019/10/damarcus-beasley-reveals-barcelona-was-once-interested-in-him

I liked this, man didn't know how appreciated he is in the hearts of many American soccer fans:

Before he can fully begin to focus on what is next, Beasley has one more game to play. The Dynamo may already be eliminated from playoff contention and playing for little more than pride, but Beasley has a final opportunity to dazzle and show why he is so revered in American soccer circles and history.

“I was literally surprised of the reaction I got when I announced my retirement. I didn’t think anybody cared,” said Beasley with a laugh. “I’m being for real. Like, I’m really being for real. People think I’m just joking, ‘Oh, this and that.’ I’m for real. I was literally caught off guard about the people that wrote me.

“I’m not talking about my teammates. I’m just talking about people that are fans or people that said they hated me but then they said, ‘Oh, man. You had a great career and dadada, but this and that.’ I was like, ‘Man, where did this come from?’

“Seriously, I didn’t think it would be like that.”

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  23. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karaoke at half time would actually be pretty funny if paired with $1 pitchers :ROFLMAO: