be brave - list your 18 + 4 for rio now

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Jun 22, 2016.

1. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Called it. (pats self on back)

Let the games begin! Very excited, I hope Pugh and Dunn stay on the flanks and I also hope Press is no longer used as an Amid, she's awful at passing in and around the box.

2. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that your post indicates that you don't seem to want to stop fighting the last war. Dunn has played all 14 of the USWNT's games this year. Started 10 of them. Scored eight goals. Was anybody seriously considering that she wouldn't be picked for this roster? But you were ready to pounce on her omission.

I agree that Dunn should have been on the WWC roster, but I'm not still pissed off that she wasn't.

3. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I will readily admit that I don't follow the NWSL teams much outside of the Orlando Pride. But Harris has been in phenomenal form. Really, I'm not so sure she isn't playing better than Solo right now. Naeher must be playing inhuman in order to beat out Harris. With those three keepers, makes you wonder how anyone scores against the USWNT.

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predicted the Rapinoe over HAO decision, but I can't say that I actually like the decision (but then I do realize that I haven't seen Rapinoe in practice...maybe she really is 110% ready). The FoxSoccer article on the choice pretty much covers my feelings on the topic.

HAO's comment on Instagram after being chosen as an alternate:

Class act.

sitruc, exref, McSkillz and 4 others repped this.
  5. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If NWSL play mattered Nicole Barnhart would likely be the starting goalkeeper of the USWNT, but you don't comment on Solo's abusive behavior and expect to remain on the national team.:speechless:

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  6. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When and where did Barnhart make said comments?

7. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we're going to have to deal with all the #freeHAO comments for the next couple of months.

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    harris has indeed been making phenomenal saves...

...but focusing on great saves is sometimes a dangerous way of judging goal keeping.

afaik, good coaches don't look at phenomenal saves all that much to determine who is the best keeper.

in fact, a lot of phenomenal saves sometimes hides from us, but reveals to the coaches, other problems a gk has.

taosjohn repped this.
  9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im not sure the knock on Harris is organization tho it's possible. There r two spots and Solo has one of them. It may just be nothing more than the GK coach sees a little more in Naeher across the board. Im sure if u pinned him down he would say its very close but the call has to be made. If it is about organization the decision must be based on how well each marshalls the second team in practice since neither ever plays live games against anyone who needs defending.

10. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If I may add my two cents: Solo has #1 tied down we all know this. I think what it came down to between Naeher and Harris was whose style Ellis prefers. Sweeper keepers are in vogue right now but maybe Ellis is like me, give me a Buffon over a Neuer any day because sweeper keepers make my anxiety levels go up every time I see them running out of that box.

You're not too far off here. Someone I know who knows quite a bit about goalkeeping also mentioned to me that Harris' constant out-stretched saves may be masking a slight positioning issue. Maybe that's what the coaches are seeing and we aren't? Also, according to Ellis, Naeher comes out for crosses, high balls etc better than Harris does which is something I actually agree with.

Bleed Blue, BlueCrimson and taosjohn repped this.
  11. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

proof otherwise it didn't happen.

12. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I'm fully aware of that, thanks.

But I don't see other flaws in her game. Put her film next to Naeher and I would bet the only difference you would see is that both are currently playing better than Solo.

13. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I think Harris' phenomenal saves have far more to do with a defense that was cobbled together with players that have never played together than any positional deficiencies. Maybe she doesn't come out quite as well on crosses as Naeher, I suppose. I do think we might have the three best keepers in the world, and there are some younger US keepers nipping at their heels.

Maybe Solo is bored in the NWSL, but she is the one that should be in danger of dropping down in the pecking order.

14. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semblance17 repped this.
  15. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    proof.

i did have lavelle as my alt, but we all knew that was just wishful thinking.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    from http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...ad-of-heather-o-reilly-comes-with-risk-071216

If this is true I find it much more troubling than using Rapinoe as an impact sub off the bench. Not only is it hard for me to see Rapinoe gaining the match fitness to start during the tournament but unless Pugh has performance issues it doesnt seem prudent to remove Pugh as a starter at this point

17. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    she's getting old.

19. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't we all?

20. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three months younger than Solo, however.

AndyMead, RockyTopFan and Semblance17 repped this.
  21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know super weird, she was number 2 for several years but suddenly got dropped....

RockyTopFan and Semblance17 repped this.
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And that was the problem...u couldnt have ur #1 and #2 getting old together.

23. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    well, i wouldn't compare the two,... but yes, that's exactly why.

prepare for future. no reason for two GK old farts.

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, i didn't know MRAD12 is the one we were talking about. Although he's way younger than me.

steelers07 and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  25. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solo's quality is that she plays better when there is more pressure on her. She's money in big games and plays with lots of confidence, which helps to calm down the back line. Whereas many good players tend to play with some apprehension in the big moments. I'd take Solo over anyone in the world right now.