be brave - list your 18 + 4 for rio now

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Jun 22, 2016.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So much for the denials that the team isnt cloned in a secret lab under the Chicago Meat Packing district.

Semblance17 repped this.
  2. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I do recall hearing the Outlaws chant in Dallas [to the tune of "Yellow Submarine"]:

"We all dream of a team of Carli Lloyds, a team of Carli Lloyds, a team of Carli Lloyds
    We all dream of a team of Carli Lloyds, a team of Carli Lloyds, a team of Carli Lloyds
    Number 1 is Carli Lloyd,
    Number 2 is Carli Lloyd...[etc. etc.]"

3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    solo
    harris
    o'hara,
    krieger,
    johnston,
    sauerbrunn,
    engen
    klingenberg
    heath,
    horan,
    lloyd,
    brian,
    mewis,
    Rapinoe
    pugh
    press,
    morgan,
    dunn

A million dollars thats the roster. plain and simple.

4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    you haven't been reading the tea leaves.

no harris. naeher instead.

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...and since i'm trying to read the tea leaves myself, i'm changing my team to

gks: solo, naeher
    defenders: o'hara, krieger, johnston, sauerbrunn, engen, klingenberg
    mids: heath, horan, lloyd, brian, rapinoe, long
    fwds: pugh, press, morgan, dunn

alternates: harris, o'reilly, sonnet, mewis....[/QUOTE]

...altho i don't agree with taking a still recovering pinoe instead of mewis. especially when both brian and heath have gimpy hamstrings. pinoe just compounds that problem.

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting my prediction in before the roster drops today:

GK: Solo, Naeher
    D: Sauerbrunn, Johnston, Engen, Klingenberg, O'Hara, Krieger
    M: Lloyd, Horan, Brian, Heath, Long, Rapinoe
    F: Morgan, Press, Dunn, Pugh

Alternates: O'Reilly, Sonnett, Harris, Mewis.

But if it was up to me, I'd rather see HAO over Rapinoe and Mewis over Long, but at this point, I don't think that's what Ellis will do.

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What time is the roster supposed to be revealed?

9. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch out for the FANGIRLS!!!
    [​IMG]

McSkillz and Semblance17 repped this.
  10. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    2016 U.S. Olympic Women’s Soccer Team Roster by Position:
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars), Hope Solo (Seattle Reign FC)

DEFENDERS (6): Whitney Engen (Boston Breakers), Julie Johnston (Chicago Red Stars), Meghan Klingenberg (Portland Thorns FC), Ali Krieger (Washington Spirit), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC)

FORWARDS (4): Crystal Dunn (Washington Spirit), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Mallory Pugh (Real Colorado)

Alternates:
    Heather O’Reilly, Ashlyn Harris, Emily Sonnett, Samantha Mewis

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...llis-names-2016-us-olympic-womens-soccer-team

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Crystal Dunn hadn't of made this team I would have boycotted from watching the USWNT as long as Jill Ellis was the coach.

sitruc, Semblance17 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So no real surprises based on speculation after RSA friendly.

Naeher vs Harris - this was obviously decided in practice as neither gets much game time. I dont really have a problem if either one had been selected as both r quality. I will note that this is another example of how NWSL play is completely meaningless in NT selection process.

Engen vs Sonnett - I can see this both ways. Engen does offer experience to a position that thrives on it. Johnston is fairly new to CB and it might not be prudent to have a backup like Sonnett who has few pro or international caps at the position. On the other hand, if ur gifting a spot to Rapinoe, it does increase Sonnett's value as u can move her up to play the #6 role in an emergency.

Long vs Mewis - Dont really like either player as the #6 but Ellis lives for square pegs. That said I do like the Long is getting rewarded for her efforts.

Rapinoe vs HAO vs Mewis - I honestly think the 16th spot is a free spot so I dont have a problems with Pinoe. My concerns would be for Pinoe losing more time after a set back rushing herself and for this to give Ellis a false sense of security

13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    It's going to be really interesting to see how she manages the midfield.

Probably set in stone:

-----------------------------Alex
    ---X------------------------Carli--------------------X
    --------------------Brian-----------X
    The Defense.

For me, on the outside, I think I'd treat Tobin/Pinoe as group X and Pugh/Dunn as group Y, and have one from each group.

If Pinoe is healthy, it would be hard for me to break up the amazing chemistry she and Kling had at the WC. But, if she's playing, I'd want Dunn or Pugh on the right, for team speed purposes.

At any rate, we have a great opportunity to play matchups.

Question: would you rate Horan and Long clearly ahead of Mewis? I'm not super impressed with Horan. Nothing against her.

2nd question: Are Horan/Long a big drop off from Holliday in that position? Clearly Holliday would be a better A-mid, or forward, but as a 6/8?

Last question (I assume Holliday would have made this roster) would Sydney or ARod have made this roster? I don't think I'd take either one over Pugh or Dunn. Sydney vs. Press (who I really like) would have been an interesting choice. Sydney can play target, she would provide the addition of giving us someone to put in as an Abby if we were behind.

14. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like you were really eager to boycott (may still be) and are disappointed that Ellis didn't give you the excuse to.

taosjohn and AndyMead repped this.
  15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...or maybe your note is another example of how we put great value on the gk who has to make spectacular saves because she may have done subpar organizing, while we critique a coach who picks the better gk who is not often as spectacular because she organizes better.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I wonder what Heather O'Reilly, Emily Sonnett, and Samantha Mewis think of Megan Rapinoe's selection.

sitruc repped this.
  17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    O'Reilly thought this was probably her last shot. She has had more tournaments than Pinoe. This was probably based on the last two tournament performances. Pugh probably beat her out.

Sonnet is probably thinking the Next WC will be her first tournament. Rapinoe wasn't who she had to beat out.

Mewis wishes she had Rapinoes talent, even hurt.she also wasn't an alternate choice for Rapinoe's slot. That would have been O'Reilly.

18. shzykh

shzykh New Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Bleed Blue, Semblance17 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  19. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought both of them have done quite well in NWSL play. When play in the league is equal (opinion) then I don't mind the tiebreaker being found elsewhere. If anything NWSL play gets neglected when considering Solo....

20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Or, it could have just been an internet chatboard hyperbolic expression that Dunn really deserves to be on the team, and it would have been a shame if she didn't make it?

sitruc and RockyTopFan repped this.
  21. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I think your credit rating is about to nosedive. :p

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well my point was both r far ahead of Solo in NWSL play.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The interesting things for are: 1) things do change on the NT. I think Sonnett was leading the race and for some reason Ellis went another way. I also think Long sudden appearance r a sign things arent as cut and dried as I once thought. 2) I think the wild card in Mewis not making it might have been Press being used in a more central role recently. If Ellis is now thinking of Press as cover at a central mid instead of a wide mid it makes taking a chance on Rapinoe more attractive and an additional central mid less valuable.

24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    True. As a whole, can't say I have any disagreements with the selections. I may probably have brought Mewis for more defensive cover but that wasn't even a strong conviction.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My other que
    No, not at all. I've been going to USWNT games all over the country religiously for over 20 years. Have no reason JUST to boycott. I just thought Dunn should have been on the WWC roster.

What gave you the idea I wanted an excuse to boycott? And Andy reps this?

sitruc repped this.