BBC World Service leaves Bush House

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Naughtius Maximus, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The BBC is closing down broadcasts from Bush House, it's home for the past 70 years...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18810309

The BBC World Service has broadcast from Bush House in central London for the last time.
    The final news bulletin was read at 1200 BST from the building that has been the broadcaster's home for more than 70 years.

It included a special dispatch recorded by the BBC's director general, Mark Thompson.

The service, which has programmes in 28 languages, is moving to another London building with the rest of BBC News.

The BBC's foreign language broadcasting servic began in 1938 from Broadcasting House in Portland Place.

After the building was bombed during the Second World War, the service re-located to Bush House in 1941.

King George V addressed the Empire from the building in 1932, while General Charles de Gaulle used the facilities to send daily support messages to the Free French movement after France fell to Nazi Germany in 1940.

I don't know if any of you listen to it but it's estimated it reaches an worldwide audience of about 190m. We might be shit at some things over here but the BBC, (and the world service in particular), is one thing we do very well. I've listened to broadcasts from it when abroad on occasion and it's pretty much the same 'straight down the middle' reporting you'd expect.

Long may it continue :)

Edit:

One of the things it used to carry was this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_from_America

Letter from America was a weekly 15-minute radio series on BBC Radio 4, previously called the Home Service, which ran for 2,869 shows from 24 March 1946 to 20 February 2004, making it the longest-running speech radio programme in history. The programme was also broadcast for many years on the BBC World Service.

The caramel tones of Alistair Cooke was one of the great joys of listening to a radio.

usscouse repped this.
  2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I googled up bush house photos, looking for that iconic picture that we've known all these years.​
    found these among the bunch.​

[​IMG][​IMG]
    And then this one...?​
    [​IMG]
    Guess I shuda paid my attention over the years..!​

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A likely story... :D

4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    :D
    Maybe a just a pun...?

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Funnily enough my brother was friends at school with a guy who went on to join the world service as a sports reporter. He heard him commentating on an English 1st div league game in when he was driving in Belgium back in the 80's and thought, 'I know that voice!!!' :)

6. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You know a friend of Auntie Beeb...cool..:)