Bayern v The Arsenal-15 Feb 2017-MATCH THREAD

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Darth Norteño, Feb 13, 2017.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ramsey has wrecked his career staying with Wenger

He's 26, can't play midfield properly and always injured

He could have been a big player

Serengeti_Boy, Fifty, DaPrince84 and 2 others repped this.
  2. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't agree with this; if we had proper tactics you wouldn't notice this. What should be happening is that Xhaka should be functioning as a cb for the most part; when we have the ball the fullbacks should push up, and Xhaka should drop back with the cbs to form a back three and Coq or whoever is playing alongside Xhaka can assist with the high press if the opportunity presents itself. Instead what we do is push up our fullbacks and cms leaving our two cbs to defend against counter attack by themselves; which is why we are God awful against the counter and easy to break apart defensively. One ball over the top of our cms and we are boned.

DaPrince84 and daedalus repped this.
  3. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How is it Wenger's fault that his career has been blighted by injuries? I'm not one to defend Arsene, but blaming a player's struggles with injury on the manager is a bit of a stretch.

4. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    WE HAVE NEVER SEEN THE CBS SPLIT THE FULLBACKS PUSHUP AND THE CM DROP WITH THE DM MOVING UP TO DRAW THE OTHER TEAM AND OPEN A PASSING LANE UP. NEVER

But they tell me that the problem is the "atmosphere" and "ArsenalFanTV" and "banners" LOL man fuhk all these people. Let these fans who pay their money voice their dissapproval for having financed a tepid sh*tshow and and constantly having their intelligence insulted.

DaPrince84 and daedalus repped this.
  5. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    You may want to read up on Wenger's rotation

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not sure I agree with this. The issue isn't the tactics, for the most part: it's the execution that's terrible. When you see the goals that Arsenal have conceded in the last two months, only a couple have been down to what you could call a tactical issue (and those were the two goals at Man City - sometimes the other team is just really good).

There've been a couple of goals that were really good, as well (like Robben's opener - yes, Robben cuts left and shoots a lot, but he also makes runs to the byline in the box, and those are even more dangerous). But the majority of the goals Arsenal have conceded have been because players are making mistakes. Both goals against Watford were due to mistakes. All three goals against Chelsea involved serious mistakes. When you're conceding goals because players are doing stupid crap, and that keeps happening season after season, we know where to put the blame. It's not a tactical issue in the sense that the way the team is structured wrong: it's that the players haven't been instructed or held accountable.

Fifty repped this.
  7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is an interesting idea, one that's been in vogue ever since Barca turned Busquets into a DM in 2010, but I'm not so sure it's needed as an attacking tactic at Arsenal: we don't exactly have trouble creating chances when in possession.

Defensively, there might be something to talk about, but splitting the CBs wide is inviting the other team to direct counterattacks at the DM down the middle, and when that DM is Xhaka, that's cause for nervousness.

8. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York

Mebe,

We didn't do it with Cazorla who is very mobile and when he had options ahead. Its not even about that tactic, hell anything. Point is we have a team that we're not sure of what they are or how good they are becuase we don't maximiz our resources. It's just infuriating

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We only played Cazorla as a midfielder for about ten months in 2015 (when he got hurt) and a couple of months this season. And the results, shitshow against Monaco aside, were actually really good. I think we lost something like two league games when Cazorla and Ozil both played (infuriating 2-0 against West Ham and the Gabriel-Costa game).

DutchCane repped this.
  10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    to be fair to mustafi, "bad when paired with gabriel" appears to be repeated more and more with our centrebacks.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it's because we have direction from neither the pitch nor the field. with gabriel and coquelin, their tendency is to charge ahead first and think later so when they're on the pitch together, we have gaps. as prince mentioned earlier, this is a problem that is consistently there for us but, when koscielny is on the pitch, he pokes in and interrupts a lot of shit just because he is ridiculously good at reading plays so it gets glossed over. when koscielny is not in there, especially when the opposition is this good and intelligent, it gets mad exposed.

White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    no, no, no. it doesn't matter if he isn't playing. it's still ramsey's fault!

DutchCane repped this.
  13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    after that injury, he had a brief stretch where he was largely healthy and then wenger does what wenger does and overplayed him. same as he did with wilshere. so now both carry consistent niggling muscle injuries.

14. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The thing is Xhaka mostly played exactly how I suggested at Gladbach and for the Swiss and was one of the best players in the Bundesliga and at the European Champioships. It has to be a tactics thing. I can't imagine Xhaka turning into an average player in the span of 3 or 4 months.

DaPrince84 and Aaron d repped this.
  15. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    where would ozil even go?

PureEvil repped this.
  16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's a combination of bad physio staff and Arsene who ran players into the ground or rolled the dice far too often, and just plain old bad luck

DutchCane repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Arsenal have shocking injury stats

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's not bad luck after all these years

Look at Diaby, Rosicky, Santi (the new Rosicky), Wilshere, Ramsey etc etc

Wenger carries perma-crocks at all times.

I suspect its down to lack of a proper doping programme plus failure to weed out injury prone players

Fifty and DutchCane repped this.
  19. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's shocking to me that for years our fall back was not having enough money to spend. Yet we performed much better in the CL those days.

Now we have big money signings and look lost on the big stage.

I would imagine the first step to correcting this would be a managerial change and a whole staff change to go with that. And if that were to happen I would hope spending would be kept to a minimum for at least one season to perhaps properly evaluate what we have.

DutchCane repped this.
  20. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I'm not a huge fan of She Wore A Yellow Ribbon beyond their kickass merchandise, but this is pretty funny...and sadly accurate.

[​IMG]

PureEvil, banco, kanonier and 12 others repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Accurate.

22. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    that's why i said it's a combination of....some injuries do happen b/c of bad luck. RVP once got injured on international duty for a friendly against italy which sidelined him for a couple of months. Not Wenger's fault.

The shawcross-ramsey incident....not wenger's fault.
    Wenger and the physio staff is to blame for most of the other injuries - no doubt about it.

23. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sample size is so large to analyze. Too many negative trends to ignore.

Fifty and daedalus repped this.
  24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Damn u really are pro german lol

Mustafi is a good talent but prone to over committing

He is at fault here and has made various errors but no doubt, he is a good player

25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This has nothing to do with pro German-ness. If Gabriel had been the right CB in that backline I had stated exactly the same explanation as for why a players has to act there like Mustafi acted. On the contrary, Mustafi ********ed up at the 2-1 vs Lewandowski. And "he IS at fault" is not a qualified counter-argument to the point that I made.