Bayern Munich v Spurs, CL, Wed. Dec. 11th, 3 pm ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    With nothing on the line for this one, Jose will be able to rotate the squad with a big game away to Wolves on the horizon. Amazingly, Bayern sit 7th in the Bundesliga, 7 points off the lead and you would also expect the Bavarians to rest most of their big hitters.

I would expect the likes of Parrott, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Eriksen, Foyth and Walker-Peters to see action.

With today's results, we now know that our last 16 opponent will come from PSG, Barca, Juve, RB Leipzig or Valencia.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'll be giving this one a pass in favor of Derby v Sheffield Wednesday. o_O

… let's just say there are extenuating circumstances. :whistling:

3. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It'll be nice to watch a match with no pressure on either side. Guardian reporting that it will be Sessegnon and Lo Celso supporting Moura as the centre forward, with Eriksen taking Dele's role as the most advanced midfielder. Probably Dier and Sissoko making up the midfield, back 4 of KWP, Rose, Foyth and Alderweireld.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Big game for Wednesday, a win would take them into the top 6 of the Championship. Would be something to see Leeds and both Sheffield clubs in the PL next season, it has been a long time since the last Yorkshire derby in the top flight!

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Wednesday match is off* - Bayern/Spurs it is.

*I've got a Wednesday mate from Sheffied (Rotherham, actually) who informed me yesterday that he'd heard something that might interest me. There was a guest on an OwlsAmerica podcast from Fort Wayne (where I live) who has opened a pub/restaurant in North Manchester (about a half hour away). He's a Wednesday fan, apparently, and he shows Owls games in his pub. I googled it, and it looks like they have a good menu and a decent selection of beers, so I was (having the rare day off this month) going to head over, meet this fella, see his place, and watch Wednesday. But I got a text this morning from Southy saying he'd mentioned it on twitter, and the fella said he wasn't in today, and the match wouldn't be on. er … how about the staff putting it on, then? who knows, maybe he's the only one with the password or something.

anyway, i'd estimate the total number of people in/around Ft Wayne Indiana who might get word of a Sheffield Wednesday podcast - let alone give two shits about it - at roughly 1. and he's just been told "don't bother". interesting action plan. Come on you Spurs, then, eh?

BalanceUT repped this.
  6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Pookspur, you obviously haven't read the Spurs Commandments:

1. If Spurs are on, thou shalt watch the game.
    2. If the channel is showing another game, thou shallt change said channel to the Spurs game.
    3. Seeth 1 and 2 above.

BalanceUT repped this.
  7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Still don't understand VAR (and I guess I never will). Was watching the first half of City's game and a Dinamo Zagreb player clearly elbowed Rodri in the face. Not that I have any sympathy for the Mancs, but the lad should have been sent off. I don't think the VAR even reviewed the incident! Yet they will look at a replay for 5 minutes to determine if the ball skimmed somebody's arm pit or measure an offside to the millimeter.

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

oh, I know. and I'm no splitter - I deffo am and always will be Spurs. But I've loads of mates at Wednesday and have been to Hillsborough numerous times, so if there's someone around here who occasionally drinks at the New Barrack Tavern or sings on the kop, I wanna meet him.

not to mention that our match means nothing, in terms of the competition. no way would I miss it were progression on the line. still, i'm glad that I'll be seeing it, even though I would've enjoyed seeing Wednesday at a new venue.*

*the pub, not pride park. :unsure:

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don't understand militant Islam or the appeal of the Kardashians. But sometimes it's enough to just know when something's bad and despise accordingly.

BalanceUT repped this.
  10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Here are the teams:

Spurs: Gazzaniga; Walker-Peters, Alderweireld, Foyth, Rose; Dier, Sissoko; Eriksen, Lo Celso, Sessegnon; Moura

Subs: Austin, Sanchez, Son, Wanyama, Skipp, Tanganga, Parrott

Bayern: Neuer; Pavard, Martinez, Boateng, Davies; Alcantara, Kimmich, Coutinho; Coman, Gnabry, Perisic

Subs: Ulreich, Goretzka, Singh, Müller, Mai, Lewandowski, Zirkzee

Referee: G Rossi (Italy)

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Crikey, that's true! I figured I knew what you meant (the 'big' Yorkshire clubs), but I thought I'd be a smartarse and mention huddersfield v hull or some such ... but none of the 'lesser' Yorkshire clubs have been in the top flight at the same time since Leeds went down. Leeds v Bradford City in 1999-2000 was technically the last PL Yorkshire derby, which was only one year after Wednesday (and the last of the 'big' Yorkshire derbies) left the Prem.

… Anyway ... COYS, and let's have at the Bavarians.

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I just hope somebody kicks Gnabry into the stand...

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    In a result that will be celebrated by travelling secretaries across Europe, CL débutants Atalanta go through after beating Shaktar Donetsk 3-0 after having only 1 point after 4 games, bonkers!

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Bayern all in red, Spurs in their classic all navy blue away kit.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    And we are underway!

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Sessegon breaks down the left and forces a save from Neuer.

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Lo Celso is playing on the right, Sessegnon on the left with Eriksen in the #10 role behind Moura.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Gnabry forces a save by Gazza, open start to the game.

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Big chance for Bayern, Pavard drills a volley from the right that forces a double save from Gazza as Thiago triew to force in the rebound.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    1-0, Coman, 14 mins.

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs opened up like a tin of beans, neither Walker-Peters nor Lo Celso pay any attention to the Bayern winger who was in acres of space on the right. They are not making a good case to get into the regular XI.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Meanwhile, Wednesday take the lead at Derby!

pookspur repped this.
  24. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs should look to expose Alphonso Davies at LB. I have seen him play for Canada and he is good going forward but terrible defensively.

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    1-1, Sessegnon, 20 mins.