Battery welcomes Lynx...

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mister Obvious, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Charleston Battery welcomes the Toronto Lynx to Blackbaud Stadium Saturday night for a USL First Division fixture; kick off is set for 7:30 PM. This is the second game of a two-match series between the clubs; Toronto defeated Charleston 1-0 on July 9 in a game played in Toronto.

The Battery’s most recent outing was a PK loss to Major League Soccer’s FC Dallas in the US Open Cup on Wednesday night. The game ended 3-3 after extra time but Dallas prevailed with five converted penalties in succession to win the game.

Charleston’s last league game was a 2-0 loss to the Virginia Beach Mariners in a game played in Virginia Beach last Saturday night. The loss snapped a three-match win-streak. Charleston is in second position in the USL First Division (ahead of this weekend’s fixtures) (9-7-4, 31 points); the top six teams advance to the post-season.

Toronto is currently in 11th position (18-4-10, 16 points) but plays the Atlanta Silverbacks (in Atlanta) this Friday night.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a good match.

Toronto seem to be on a tear right now win several o fthere last games and drawing a few others. they are playing ATL on Friday and I think two games in the regions heat and humidity will be tough for them.

But the Battery are coming off a tough match agains FC Dallas. Glinton looked like he was struggling at the end of the match and Im sure that anyone who played the 120 min has got to be feeling the effects of that match. I wonder what type of line up we will see against the lynx?

I predicted a Battery win. Glintons due, Vercollone is due, Fuller is due, its about time one of our defenders scored and I would think that Armstong and Daley are due as well.

Ill got with a Battery win 3-0

3. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    I like it MM. The only defender I see coming forward is Lexus. He has the speed and skill, but by the time he gets down field, there is a traffic jam. I would settle for an assist.

Daley must be wondering what it takes to score. He had three shots in the 6 yard box vs. Dallas. One was an unfortunate pond shot. One hit the cross bar. The last Sala came out and luckily saved. I will settle for Daley unnerving the defense and centering the ball.

Daley played vs Gbandi on Wednesday night. For those who don't know, Gbandi was the numero uno pick in the 2002 MLS draft. If Daley played vs. Gbandi every game, Daley would be with Man U next year, if Man U could win the lottery. On a give and go with Gavin, Gbandi just half-heartedly swung at Daley as he went by. That is the last one where Sala came out and luckily (or to be fair, professionally, stuck out a leg to block the shot.) Daley has so many skills, but finishing - a work in progress. If Daley scored one goal to get the monkey off his back, no telling what he could do from here on out. BUT, Daley is not supposed to be a scorer. He is tied for 3rd in the USL-1 in assists with 4. The first two finishers in front have 5. Advice to Omar. Leave the scoring to others. Move into the lead in the League in assists tomorrow night. You won't be back in Charleston, but good for you.

Luke V is my man. He reminds me of George Whitefield. Google Mr. Whitefield. He was tried in an 18th century Charleston ecclesiastical court for something Luke possesses: Enthusiasm (Whitefield for the Glory on God and Luke for being on the freaking soccer field.) Although hampered with the second worst haircut on the team, Luke has a solid presence. I respectfully disagree that Luke is due to score. Luke's role is to break things and make things happen, which he does very effectively. Soccer is akin to a chess match. Luke gives the ball to the player who gives the assist. He rarely gives the ball away unchallenged - one of my pet peeves.

I also like S. Armstrong. He is cool and collected. He can score, as is evident. Fuller is also capable of scoring.

But, I am not sold on the fact that Daley, Vercollone, Fuller, Armstrong, Ugo, Lazo, Troy, Romero should be focused on scoring. Their focus should be on getting the ball into the center of the 18 yard box, or keeping their head up and sending a ball thru when some poor bustard is making a run in 99 degree heat.

3 - 0 sounds good to me.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i agree and I base the fact that they are "due" on that they consistantly are getting good looks at the goal and taking shots. Law of averages will sugest that they are going to get a goal at some point. I think Luke should sometimes take a few more cracks but I wont fault him for it.

But look at the list of players you have, opposing teams must be terrified when they see those players and have all have had good chances of converting goals this year.

I too would be content with them getting assit and twisting the other teams defence inside out, but I think they will score a couple too.

As for a defender scoring, I think it is more likely to come form a set peice than the run of play. All though I was impressed with Lexus coming forward last match. I don't remember him getting that inolved offensively in theh past.

Also here is an article on tonights match from the Post and courier
    http://www.charleston.net/assets/we...ection=sports&tableId=101054&pubDate=8/5/2006

5. Bill63

Bill63 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Oh my God! References to the Great Awakening in a BS post! Amazing!
    Praise God!

6. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Good win for us last night. We didn't look great, but got the job done and I never felt worried that Toronto would get back into it - even when they scored. They just looked very bad. And to make my night even better - my man Ugo gets a beauty of a goal!! He looked more surprised it went in than everyone else did! The guy deserved that goal and the reaction of the crowd and the bench players was great. Armstrong filled in well at left back, and Tim was my man of the match last night - made every tackle look easy and got forward in the attack very well. In response to Duke's post before - agreed with all you said except for one thing - who's got a worse haircut than Luke's??:)

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good match and they looked like they played a hell of a mathc on Wed. night. I thought I go my 3-0 score when Gavin had that header in the box but Zagar did weel to stop it.

I think Dusty was a little upset he let that one go in. but in the end it was a good victory

I think Armstrong did very well at left back last night. I like him better than Hollingsworth back there and it alows Auggie to get both Vecollone and Armstong on the same side doing some terrorising on the over lapping.

Lexus must have gotten a green light from the staff to go forward bescause in the last too matches I'v seen him push up more and more. good job at it too.

ugo was smiling ear to ear after the match and it was well deserved too.

here is todays recap fro the post and courier
    http://www.charleston.net/assets/we...ection=sports&tableId=101232&pubDate=8/6/2006

mentioned at the end that we have signed Wilmington Defender (and USL all-star) Kevin Nyland for the rest of the season. good to have some cover back there.

Finally, congradualtions to Mike Anhauser, Patrick Olelare and Gerard Walker for being inducted into the Battery Hal of Fame.

Also present at the match was Johnny Wilson, I know he was in town for the FC Dallas match but it was good to see him (albeit briefly) again.