Battery vs. PR 8-9 pre/post (R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by ox utd, Aug 8, 2006.

1. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Otherwise known as the Norkus Dive Squad. Will probably be a somewhat heated affair - that is if others have the same memories as I do of our other home match with them. My lineup would be:

---Dusty---
    Karalexis--Curran--Watson--Catalano
    Omar--Fuller--Lazo-----Armstrong/Vercollone
    -------Gavin----Ben-------

Maybe sub in Corcoran if he's up for it. It kills me to not have my man Ugo in the starting lineup, but with Fuller back from suspension I'd have to go with him. I also think Curran will be back tonight and he's been a rock all season. Armstrong/Vercollone is a tough call, they've both impressed me and I'd be happy with either one. I'm leaning towards Vercollone b/c of his work rate, but I'm barely leaning. Prediction: 2-1 Battery in a physical and somewhat nasty encounter with quite a few yellows.

2. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    My man Norkus isnt playing for the rest of the season, his injury needs surgery, maby he will be back for the post-season.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

too bad, I liked Caleb as a person and even met his parents. Its a shame his time in Chile tainted his playing style.

I might bring Ugo in earlier than normal or even give him the start. After the game against Toronto, he was grining from ear to ear and full of confidence after the match and said he had been waiting a long time to get that monkey off his back so to speak.

I might consider putting Armstrong in as left back again and play Vercollone in front of him. Those two overlapping late in the game would cause any defense trouble with fresh legs, much less legs that are tired. combine that with Glinton and Ben up top (or Ben dropped back to Mid.) and Daley on the right. that is one hell of a fast offensive attack.

Its a 6 point match and Charleston could do well to ensure their play-off hopes with a win Wed. The victory would give us 3 points but also deny PR a crucial 3 points as well.

The Battery have been playing well lately and I think they will win this one as well. Ill go with Battery 2-0; goals from Glinton and one from someone who is also "due", Lazo.

Mikey

4. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    As much as I hate it for Armstrong, because no offensive player likes to play defense, I have to go with Stephen at left back with Vercollone on the side. He is just too good not to have on the field, and I don't remember anyone from Toronto giving him a challenge. If I thought Vercollone or Fuller could play left back better, I would put one of them back there and move Armstrong up the field.

I would give Armstrong a lot of freedom to overlap, as Lexus did last week. When he does, Lazo, Fuller, Vercollone just have to be on their toes to cover because PR is fast.

I agree that it hurts not to start Ugo, but Fuller's height is needed. I think Ugo played on the back line in one game, but I don't think it worked out too well. If Hugo could hold up the left back position, then I would have a tough decision to make with Fuller/Armstrong. I might bring Fuller off the bench as Armstrong is also tough in the air. Trying to pick a starting line up because of too much talent is a nice problem to have.

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    It's official. The Battery's Achilles heel is the Islanders and Apes. Zero wins in 8 games with only 3 points on draws. Letting PR back in the door twice was not a good idea.

Andrew Mosier wrote in the game brochure that the Battery had a tough road to the playoffs. He is right. While I would rather have our record than those of PR, Apes and VB, with two games in hand, they could play havoc.

We have to win 2 of the remaining 6 games, 5 of which are on the road. It is certainly doable, but it will not be easy. There is no comparison with this team and last year's, with only Lazo and Hollywood back as starters, but it is interesting to note that in the Northwest Passage last season, we lost 0-1, 0-1 and 0-4.

Montreal has not lost at home. Vancouver has lost once, Seattle twice. Our best shots will be at Miami and Portland, teams that have seen defeat at home 5 and 4 times, respectively. Rochester will be tough in the final game at home.

7. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, not good but other teams have similar "streaks". Rochester hasn't won or even scored a goal in Montreal in many years. But if we don't make the playoffs, the PR/ATL stat will certainly haunt us in the off season.

But back to last night. Once again, our inconsistent play rears its ugly rear and just drives me crazy. But alas, that's what makes our little league so exciting and fan friendly. Two good strikes by Omar and GG. Omar's goal was right in front of E10 and he turned Rivera inside out and when Segovia showed up to provide cover, his jock was also left hanging out to dry. I hope that goal clip shows up on the highlight reel. I think Rivera getting constantly smoked by Omar in the early going was what forced him to be subbed out before 30' because he wasn't noticeably hurt.

The defense, which has been consistent and good most of the year was too loose last night. Around 70', we just let PR have the ball and when they approached our box, we didn't put ANY pressure on the ball at all. We just let them tee it up and have their way with us. The hallmark of all Battery teams is high pressure defense on the ball and we did not do that late in the game. Very disappointing and at home, no less. Shame on us.

Not the end of the world but we've just made the rest of the season interesting. If we do make the playoffs, it will be because we won some August road games so I guess we can say we earned it.

8. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Does anyone else think this yeivo guy over on the USL forum is an absolute screwball? I mean, the type who lives in a cave with an aluminum foil hat to keep the US government from sucking out his brain juice? I think he needs medication, or a lobotomy.......or maybe he's already had a lobo job? :eek:

9. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    MMM... why dont you ask him yourself?

10. pr'rican

pr'rican New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    exactly, why dont ask him personally?
    or why dont u talk about norku's mom when hes around?

oh yea i know, never mind...
    you, duke and buck are the same kind...*snip*

11. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    I've never said a word about anyone's mom. Why don't you spend some time on your forum, oh yeah you don't have one.

12. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Um, I don't live in Puerto Rico.

13. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Well atelast post your offensive comments where he can read them, and your Cryston friends did insult Norkus mother.

14. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    I'm trying, but the USL site keeps coming up "under construction", so I can't.

15. pr'rican

pr'rican New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Moderator wrote me a PM:
    HAAahhahaa
    several

Yeah we have one, oh no, we have two. But you dont know spanish, do you?
    www.hiapr.org <---theres one, use the babelfish thing if u have any doubt

EDIT: Mod, have to edit ox when he quoted my bad language

16. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Caleb's Mom take offense, to our razzing him after his last "diving performance" here in Charleston or was it about his Elimi-Date championship
    ?