Battery players in the offseason

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gavin Glinton I know Glinton had a trial with the Galaxy but haven't seen if they are going to pick him up or not. most there fans don't know if he is the right fit or not for there 2007 season

Luke Vercollone was training with Colorado and played in the reserve game

Chris Corcoran was playing with the Red Bulls and good to see he recoved from his injury

Stephen Armstrong and Lazo Alavanja look to be playing with Chicago Storm indoor team

Troy Lesesne assistant coach with College of Charleston

Omar Daley and Shane Crawford Both playing with Jamaica National team but looks like Crawford injured himself again

anyone else have any info on what some of the guys are doing this offseason?

2. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brandon Curran is here working somewhere. There are some others still in town, because they played with Hawk's team last week against a Canadian team on a soccer vacation.

3. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to a CofC game several weeks ago and saw Lexus, he's also in the area, rooming with Troy in the offseason. Gores was at the game too but didn't speak to him. Saw Watson and his then fiancée, now wife. I'm pretty sure they're in the area since Watson has a house.

4. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I do not think you will be seeing Lazo in a Storm uniform this season.

5. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    I think Lexus is working at East Shore Athletic Club at Park West this off season. Nylen was heading back up to Mass. to do some youth coaching this fall, then will probably head back to Wilmington then here. Any word on if Troy is going to play next season or stick to coaching?

6. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auggie told me on Thursday night, that Lazo had retired from Indoor. He said, it takes him to long to recover from it.

7. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talking to his parents during the playoffs, they seemed to think they were watching his last games as a player. Nothing definite, that was just their hunch. I've always liked Troy, he had a lot of speed and a good touch. But at some point, I think for a player in the USL, he has to decide if he's not going to start, it's a lot of work training every day for 6 months just to get a few minutes of action once a week. He could start for some other clubs in the league but he probably is starting to put down roots here & doesn't want to move.

8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Billy Jack Diego

Billy Jack Diego New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    The photo of Lawrence Smith in Jamaica showed he was getting buff. If Coach Khoury believes he has the goods, that is "good" enough for me. Anyone who has seen him play knows he can hit a frozen rope. My take is that Lawrence came into pre-season out of shape. I got the impression that the Battery was not much interested in out of shape players. My guess is that Lawrence was kept on for his locality, he was a Coach K project and he has some potential. As it will take a miracle to keep Gavin Glinton in 2007, we will be in need of a striker who can produce. Come on, Lawrence. My people at the CofC soccer games told me that Hollywood had been playing with a stress fracture for quite some time. The fracture gave out and went completely through the bone during a run vs. Puerto Rico in the playoffs. He will be better off because the stress fracture will also heal. Word has it the cast came off in October and he is in Europe seeing friends. Troy vs. Luke last year was a hard one. Luke worked hard and gave the ball to the player making the assist more than twice. He was also tackled in the box and handed out 4 assists. Troy is an equally talented player, but the coaches saw something that gave Luke the nod. If a player is not starting after two full years, he probably needs to re-evaluate his future. On the other hand, I saw where Luke has been to some MLS camps. If he were to hook up with MLS, I hope Troy will re-think the situation as he is a hairbreath away from Luke, IMHO.

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Troy doesn't have the MTV haircut like Luke does...:D

12. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every morning when I get up, my hair has formed a perfect wedge like Luke's. I could probably teach Troy how to sleep to get the same effect......

13. Billy Jack Diego

Billy Jack Diego New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Naaaaaaaaw. I can't hit that softball, but still, I wonder. . .

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Armstrong is doing well with the Storm.

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the update, You could tell he was going to do well with Indoor, hope he is enjoying it and stays healthy so we get him back in one piece!

16. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard Troy is hanging it up as a player. He gave it a go for a couple of years. Can't really blame him. If you're not playing regularly in the starting XI, it's a lot of work & sacrifice to just ride the bench and get the occasional scrap of PT. At some point, at 24-25 years old, you figure the dream is over and you have to get on with your life. Pretty common (and sad) for players in the US. Hope he stays in the area coaching, he's as comfortable with really young players as anyone I've ever watched.

17. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Jim, if you ever cross paths with him tell Troy to drop me an email. I'd love to bring him down here to our academy.

18. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andre, here's his email address: lesesnet@cofc.edu

19. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net

Super, thanks !!

I have to be 100% honest in that when Troy first came to us, I thought he was pretty 1 dimensional with his play and I wasn't happy seeing him getting any pitch time but he really changed my views on him after completing this season. I know he hasn't logged tons of pitch time but I really liked the way he progessed and given a bit more p.t. I think he could still be making a go of it as I hope he does. I was lucky enough to literally bump into him (probably after one of those yards of ale) at the 3 Lions one night and he was super classy and down to earth, which is big in my books.

Thanks again for the email address... I owe a pint or two of Boddington's when I get back to Blackbaud.

20. ohhh_yeah

ohhh_yeah New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Portland
    Bradford City is about to have the transfer completed for
    charleston battery player, Omar Daley...

21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn that will suck
    whats your source?

Lossing Glinton to LA and Daley both will leave some big shoes to fill in our offence this season but should both bring int some good money to the club as they were both under contract for another year

Mikey

22. ohhh_yeah

ohhh_yeah New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Portland
    Betsy McAdams

23. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I saw Lazo Alavanja yesterday in Chicago. He's not playing in the MISL this season because he needed a break and some rest. It looks like he's looking forward to returning to the Battery this year, rested and ready to go.

25. Chief of Smoke

Chief of Smoke New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Good news.