Battery 2011 preseason schedule

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the Carolina Challenge Cup is over, its time to turn our attention to the rest of preseason.

No Quarter: and now for the rest of preseason
    here is what we know so far.

Charleston Battery vs Clemson University
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011
    Blackbaud Stadium, 5 PM

Charleston Battery vs Carolina RailHawks
    Saturday, March 19, 2011
    Wake Med Stadium, Cary, NC, 4 PM

Charleston Battery vs College of Charleston
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011
    Patriots Point Stadium, KO TBD

Charleston Battery vs Atlanta Silverbacks
    Saturday, March 26, 2011
    Blackbaud Stadium,. KO TBD

Interesting we are playing two NASL teams. We played Carolina last season here in Charleston and wish I could make it up there this season but I already have plans.

I imagine Auggie had a good look at the players on trial and we will see some announcements pretty soon. We also should be getting some of our overseas guys (Colin Falvey, Nik Paterson, and Cole Peverley) and I wouldnt be surprised to see one or two other guys pop up at the matches.

Mikey

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery defeated Clemson 2-0 tonight. Goals by Seedy Bah and new signee, Dane Kelly.

Also their is some confussion about the Atlanta Silverback match on the 26th. The Front office is looking into iwhats going on, but for now it is off the schedule.

3. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think that means? I sure hope their dickbird owner isn't bailing out already. Those fans deserve a lot better....I miss them.....

You'd think in a city with 2-3 million people, there would be ONE person who could keep a minor league soccer team afloat. :rolleyes:

Probably just a schedule mixup but that's still a sympton of how their team has always been run...poorly. I thought when they built their stadium they had turned the corner but they managed to screw that up too.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I know

The FO told us about the match in Feburary at the Regiment meeting but they were waiting on confirmation from Atlanta before announcing it.

The Battery Press Release came out and had the ATL match listed. One would think that the Battery Front office (usually meticulous with this type of stuff) would have gotten the okay.

I post the link in the Silverback forum and am told that ATL is playing GSU. both of them have it on their websites.

I email Andrew and the response that I get is he is looking into it and the Battery take it off their schedule until they can figure out what is going on.

What I THINK happened

The ATL FO messed up and schedule two matches on the same day. I imagine they are busy putting together a team and trying to get things running again but small details like this are kind of an early warning sign of things to come. I know a former ATL front office employee who has some horror stories about way things used to be run and one would hope they would learn from their mistakes.

Sadly this effect the Battery more than ATL as the date is probably going to be hard to fill with a quality opponent so late in the game.

5. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah..you can't play CofC all the time! We have a good relationship with Coach Docking up at Coastal Carolina and we usually play them in preseason....maybe we can get them to travel down for the day. They almost always are in the NCAA playoffs and usually have a player or 2 go to MLS every year, they'd be a quality opponent.

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-0 against the Railhawks. hoping someone from the match can give some details.

7. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll get it tomorrow. Railhawks' president plays ball with us and Auggie too.

8. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a Railhawks fan's perspective: It was great to get a match against a regional rival today. Lot's of fans turned out for a totally non-promoted game. Estimates ranged between 275-350 people.

The game was played a very fast pace. It got a bit chippy and the officiating left much to be desired. Both teams had good opportunities in front of goal, but neither side could poke it in. On the whole, Carolina looked a little more organized and had controlled much of the play, but I thought the Battery looked more likely to score. And, of course, the Hammerheads brain trust was there scouting.

9. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the report...our team is a work in progress with so many guys on trial. Our two forwards from last year are now both in the MLS, so we are starting from scratch up top more or less.

10. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, he commutes from Cary? He can't find a league closer to home?

11. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, the Battery had some excellent point-blank shots in the six-yard box that our GK (name unknown) stopped by sheer will. It could've been two - nil early on. So, the chances were there. They just ran out of legs in the second half.
    We had our own opportunities that were squandered by some needlessly unselfish passing. Overall I thought our guys looked a little more organized and maybe fitter than the Battery. It was great to stoke up the rivalry once again. The players certainly felt it! I hope our teams do more of this in the future.

12. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it helps that our coach and your club president play on the same team in the Sunday city league down here.

13. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please note the change of day, time and venue...

14. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that mentioned elsewhere and thought it was a joke. Hmm. I wonder if your former asst. coach, Daniel Allen, plays on that team?

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr.O would know

Hope to get out to the first half of the match today at least. Should be able to see who is still with the team.

I would assume there will be some press releases coming down over the next two+ weeks as the team gets ready for the season opener announcing the players

also read somewhere about Nicki's visa issues nearly being resolved. Saw where Portland stopped working Kerrea Gilbert of Arsenal visa issues because it was taking too long with legal issues and thought we might have had a Mark Briggs type issue on our hands.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery tweeted that the match against ATL is cancelled.

17. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery won 2-0 with Armstrong and JC Mack getting the goals.

18. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, that mouthy reprobate is playing again. He had a hip resurfacing done in November of 2009 and has actually gotten slower, but he still talks a good game.

19. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha.

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 o'clock on Tuesday

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good deal look forward to it.

23. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is in Charleston, right? I can't be so lucky as to have the Battery come up to the Grand Strand, can I?

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anything else mister O? I havent' been able to sniff up anything official yet

25. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery won 5-0, with Levi Coleman, Stephen Armstrong, Seedy Bah, Colin Falvey and Dane Kelly all scoring for the Battery.