Basile's Starting Line Up vs Brazil? 2006

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by Castroman, Aug 8, 2006.

1. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And you all disagreed when I said Basile wasn't the right man for the job :rolleyes:

2. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i said the same although i think that we will win 2010.
    [​IMG]

3. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    So one friendly against an incredible opponent like Brazil, where the team barely had time together for practice and you are already considering Basile a failure. Amazing. :rolleyes:

4. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pecho frio?.. LOL :D

A bit harsh on Riquelme, though. He was holding the midfield quite solidly, imho.

5. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I feel that the responsibility of the loss is due to the malfunctioning of our attack. You may always criticize the defense, but face it, they were not facing Andorra, but Brazil. At one moment or the other these guys will go through.

If our attack would have done their part of the job, that is create themselves good occasions and scoring them, then we would not have got thrashed that way. The Brazil goalie hardly had any work during the whole match...

6. Blue-and-White

Blue-and-White New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Canada
    Requelme did well today.....Messi as a forward and our defence was what did us in. Even with that we had plenty of chances which were wasted...and a couple beautiful plays.

7. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006

That may be so but nobody could know that after one game! I honestly am still a believer in Pekerman but I would love to give anybody a chance who seems to be interested in (supposedly) attacking football. At least we didn't shrink down once and try to defend our 1-0 loss. The defense was hurting today and we have problems to fix but you cannot assume that one game will tell you whether Basile is worthy or not.
    I do know this- our 3rd ranking for FIFA will definitely be over-inflated if we don't beat Turkey, France or Spain.

8. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Yeah some of those plays, if they had resulted in a goal would probably have been the most beautiful goals. I don't care what anyone says we needed Crespo today.

9. Aguero

Aguero New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    It's not all Basile fault. The players didn't perform to what they should have, they weren't on the same page.

10. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006

Agreed completely. Insua missed what would have been a spectacular goal.

11. Alexa

Alexa New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    The lack of finishing abilty was the most troublesome aspect of this game. Arg. had some real chances to score, but there was no real staight out striker. It was as though the team was populated with a million different midfielders. Messi is not a striker, and you can't really ask Aguero to come in with 15 minutes to go and turn that around.

Maxi Rod = Finishing ability. He was missed today, even though he isn't a striker.

I just hope that Basile is the kind of guy who learns from his mistakes and isn't all ego.

12. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    i was at the game today.

in my opinion, brasil totally deserved the victory, they looked dangerous when we attacked whereas we lacked a cutting edge.

when we went behind there was hardly a response until the second half started.

i have to say, i hope roman isn't going to be basile's permanent captain.

he didn't play well today but thats not the reason, i love roman, but sometimes we might be better off without him, w messi taking his place behind the strikers.

messi likes to come deep to collect the ball and that left us isolated up front, particularly because in the first half roman was playing way too deep and was never in a position to hurt brasil, behind the strikers.

in my opinion we need to play tevez alongside a centre forward and that man is aguero.

lucho had a totally anonymous game, but i have seen enough of him to know his class.

for me, bilos and colo are nowhere near international quality.

colo just plays with his hair all the time, he is slow, ponderous, has bad positional sense, no ball control and doesn't want to do the dirty job of defending, he inspires no confidence.

bilos was involved a lot but usually all he did was cut inside and play a hopeful high cross which their big defenders were always going to gobble up against our pibes, his best moment came when he set up messi for a chance, but all in all he just isn't comfortable enough on the ball.

13. Lyrical S.

Lyrical S. Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Morelia, Michoacan
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    come on its his first game!! and Argentina isnt the only team on his mind rite now!!!

14. Aguero

Aguero New Member

Aug 1, 2006
  15. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I do say he can be judged after one game. What manager would take out Bilos when he was our best player at the time, who would put Messi on as a striker rather than Saviola, or Kun?

16. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not how I wanted to start my day off:mad: Considering how new this line-up was compared to the World Cup, I still expected a bit more. Once Basile settles into a group of players that fits his mind-set, then we'll see some better futbol. El Pato is still showing good form from before that hack WC injury. Can't really blame him for the goals at all. Distribution was pretty good and I couldn't remember him freaking out once.

Roman at moments looked like the BOCA player I adored and others seemed out of sync with his decisions. I really don't like how much he keeps dropping back into the midfield. At BOCA he never did this but once he got to Villarreal, he made a habit out of it from necessity to Villa. He's always been at his best just behind the strikers. He's still our best playmaker and conductor and will probably see plenty of time under Basile.

Flaco Bilos needs to be converted to a striker somehow. I liked his attacking play and confidence. Where I didn't like him was with his defensive duties. In the first half he was solid but as the game wore on he kinda let it go. That being said, he does have the height we want up front some solid ball holding so why not look at it. Crespo will only be a stop gap due to age so why not experiment while we can.

Zabaleta was our motm from my perspective. Why didn't Pekerman bring him to Germany? He really reminded me of El Pupi at times and his determination was inspiring. He and Maxi on the right side is something to look forward to. He'll nail down his spot in no time playing this way.

Messi tried to do too much from a position that he's not comfortable at which I think sums up his match. Tevez had some good moments trying to set up his teammates but didn't really have the ops to shoot much today. Aguero just needs more than 15 minutes.

When BOCA wins here in a little bit I'll be for the most part over it but still pondering what our future holds.

17. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I bet the Conejito would have scored one or two. He's a real striker. A shame that he is not much tall either. The thing is that with so much talent, who are you going to bench?...

18. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    If it had worked, even just today, probably everyone would be singing his praises. It's a friendly. We have kinks to work out before any real competition. Now that he's had a chance to see everyone play and he's seen the team's weaknesses, he should be able to correct it. I always see games like these as "rough drafts". The "final paper" could be for the next Copa America...

btw did Messi take a more "striker" role in the game against Croatia? I didn't actually see the game so I'm just curious.

19. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    It is no coincidence that Messi plays much better when there is a real #9 like Crespo on the pitch. Whatever the system is, he cannot play without a striker ahead of him. Some people here argued with me that Messi would be more effective as a striker. I will say this again, Messi's potential is as a #10 not a striker.

20. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    you're right. i dont blame basile completly i mean the real blame is on grondona. but i think that we will see changes i just dont want to win by a lucky goal on the quailifier to sudafrica2010.

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Insua proved to not be NT material. Sure, he's a good player, but he's just not ready for the national team (and I don't know if he'll ever be).. Damn, man.. Basile needs to give D'Alessandro a chance..

22. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Look, people, we have to be realistic. You all seem desperate to have Messi in the squad, while the truth is we CAN play without him. You want to put him as a 10 when Aimar, D'Allesandro or Roman can do that? You want to put him as a striker with players like Chelito, Palacio, Cavenaghi, hell, even Tecla on the wings? What about as a left midfielder, where he'd be best, expect defense wise.

Basile has become biased to his old Boca players. No matter what you say, Insua isn't good enough, there are better options than Bilos, and Aimar/D'Alessandro deserve another shot. Roman has dissapointed since the WC, and it's time to change it around. And why the hell wasn't Crespo ther? Or Arruabarrena, so we could actually have a left sided defender.

23. wreckedmachine redded

Aug 15, 2006
    AHAHAHHAH argaytina got OWNED. you suck

24. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Someone make me a mod, I wouldn't hesitate to delete ban these f*ckers from our boards the minute they show up.

25. Aguero

Aguero New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    about this grondona dude
    hasn't he been AFA president since the 80's. Was he elected president or did he get the job some other way :eek: .

random question
    when will the world cup qualifiers be played, Has schedule been announced.

were probably going to face Brazil in the Copa America :eek: .

We will get are revenge :D