Barry Maguire at VVV Venlo

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by new_skin, Jan 20, 2012.

1. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Article: Maguire infamously rejected a call-up to the Irish U21 team in 2009, choosing instead to play for the Dutch U20 team but re-affirmed his interest in playing for Ireland in 2010.

So now we qualify and he's all super interested.

3. Oh my god, I didnot expect soccer players to be sooo opportunistic!!!!;)
    But about his choice to go the Young Orange squads track...I think one can safely say that that didnot hurt him, as he most likely learned alot more there than he would have at the Young Irish teams. No offense intended.
    So if it is possible I would say profit from it.

4. This weekend he managed to beat my club thus ruining our prospects to get into the top 4. The bastard.

5. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I'll bet you felt exactly the same way when Darron Gibson switched to the Republic. Probably Aidan McGeady too. :rolleyes:

Also, if he reaffirmed his interest in 2010, Ireland hadn't qualified for anything yet.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Are you serious!?! Gibson switched as soon as he could at U-17 level. He never ever turned down a Republic of Ireland callup to play for another country.

Aiden McGeady never switched. He has always been a Republic of Ireland player.

I'd feel the same way if someone like Kevin Nolan all of a sudden changed his mind (he turned down an FAI callup before) because we qualified for Euro 2012.

Don't insult Gibson and McGeady when you obviously know nothing about their situations.

There is this tool called Google you can use to check what you write before you post so you don't look so dumb.

7. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of whether or not Gibson turned down anybody, he originally played for the North. He did not 'switch as soon as he could,' which would have been never playing for another country period.

And McGeady did switch, having represented Scotland at the schoolboy level. The only reason he plays for Ireland today is the fact that Celtic would not allow him to play for the Schoolboys once he joined them.

And as for using Google to avoid looking dumb, is Google what you used when you decided that Ireland qualified for Euro 2012 back in 2010? Irony.

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    You can't switch unless you are called up. As soon as Gibson was called into an FAI squad he has stuck with FAI since. Thats a fact.

Schoolboy level is not international football. It's like ODP, its based on where you live not your citizenship. Look at the Andrew Driver case as an example. Ryan Giggs captained the England schoolboys. Are you going to tell me Ryan Giggs "switched" national teams!?!?!

Cmon man. :rolleyes:

Surely you can see the difference between the Barry Maguire situation, the Darron Gibson situation, and the Aiden McGeady situation.

And as you'll notice I never claimed I didnt want Barry Maguire to play for Ireland.

There are plenty of current Ireland players who have similar backgrounds to Maguire (England YNT players) but to my knowledge none of the current playing squad have ever been publicly called up to an Irish squad and then turned it down in favor of another national team.

If you can find one that has then let me know. But that is how Maguire differs from the rest of the current Ireland squad.

9. Amberss

Amberss New Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
    Surely you can see the difference between the Barry Maguire situation, the Darron Gibson situation, and the Aiden McGeady situation.[​IMG]