Barrett Out as Coach for 2017

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AcetheTigah and *rey* repped this.
  2. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so Cabrera gets the nod because he got production out of Cubo when he had him in LA?

I truly hope that isn't what is happening....

3. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's gonna get it. I think his philosophy on play is really quite good based on the style his team was playing at RGV. If there is a better option we should do it, but I actually think this "might" work. Of course as DonJuego said in the other thread, no matter who the coach is we need quality players.

*rey* repped this.
  4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Turning off rational JC and gleefully drinking down Orange Koolaid, they did well enough he will land on his feet somewhere as an assistant, and probably get another head chance. I wish him well, he has been a good servant for many years. I just think this needs something else if it's ever turning around.

Rational hat back on, based on how he did here, the length of time we have been in the wilderness, the lack of tactical flexibility and game management chops apparent to this point, this is the correct decision. He can apprentice on someone else's dime.

My complaint would be, having dithered, three prime domestic candidates with MLS experience have changed jobs and we whiffed all three. As with Landin, Lopez, Miranda, Barnes, Bruin, Torres, an inability to promptly and ruthlessly make difficult choices with the focus on what helps us win more. Perhaps this is a figment of our relative poverty. We want things to work, we don't want to believe we wasted money. But hope is a bad thing in this situation.

Cabrera is probably now a prime candidate and would be a rhetorical excuse for yet more Torres, but managing a team to no playoffs during its Viking funeral year, to me, is little better than what Barrett offers as a resume. Doing stuff to try and make Torres work, as opposed to the team better, seems more like CYA than a focus on the appropriate goals of a franchise.

At this stage in our spiral what we need is a proven winner who understands the way we play and the personnel levers in this league.

5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    All I can say at this stage is thank god. There is a glimmer of hope for this organization.

Barrett is a class act. Needs to go to USL and build some head coaching experience.

*rey* repped this.
  6. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    There might be an opening at RGVFC soon.

7. OnceAggie

OnceAggie Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Re-arranging seats on the titanic

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really think we are gonna be able to attract and hire a proven winner? It's not a situation likely to walk into a winner given our talent deficiencies and if they have to answer to Jordan that eliminates half the qualified people upfront.

Here's what I think thru the use of a college football analogy - Dynamo job is sort of like what the University of Miami job has become - a good not great job that has a history of achievement but in the new era isn't the job it once was.

AcetheTigah, CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy, now we have "board of directors"?

10. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I see this as a positive move. Obviously the FO, and board want to take a different direction.

If it is Cabrera, he brings some different connections to the Dynamo, and a fresh approach. I'm just hoping it's not Sigi.

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that Board of Directors they are talking about is Brener and all the other silent owners that bought in with him last December, and thus their say where they envision taking this team.

From that article in the Chron.com:
    "We need an experienced coach and we need to change," Canetti said. "The status quo isn't going to work. We feel like we need to infuse new thoughts, new ideas and new energy to take us to where we need to be."
    I sure hope so Chris!

Do wish Wade the very best in his pursuits in life and coaching. Class footballer in his day, loyal captain to his team and just a good guy.

12. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Not sure Wilmer is the answer but Wade did not give me belief that he was going to work out.

He lost me when he went with Coyles lineup / system of play and Will Bruin for 10+ games.

I feel bad for him but I bet he will get a better gig than working for this dysfunctional organization / owner group.

Best wishes for our former captain!

repin1836 repped this.
  13. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I hope the front office goes the way of a coach who can harness and grow our regional youth talent.

we aren't gonna get a aging superstar to play here.

We need to find them young and get them to play crazy pressing soccer for 90+ minutes in this heat so we can torture these teams that come here with their pampered first class flying aged galacticos

14. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Any joy I have of Wilmer getting the chance he deserves is immediately tempered with the realization he may not even have a say in roster decisions, instead made by two dumbass clowns we have running this grand shitshow.

Also, didn't one of these dumbass clowns recently say he wanted "as many options as possible?"

15. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Wade Barrett. Sad to see him go, but I wasn't feeling his tendency to go with the "vets" when we need to go youth. He started to at the end of the year, but I like the fact that Wilmer knows how to develop players. He's done well with the youth ranks where he's been. I don't know how he deals with grown men?

16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not so sure about that. Canetti statement: "Need experienced coach. Need change. Need to infuse new thoughts & new energy to take us to where we need 2 be."

Cabrera doesn't fit the criteria of "experienced coach" unless you really stretch it. Corey Roepken appears to have come away with the conclusion that it will be Sigi Schmid.

17. Bradford 10

Bradford 10 Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No surprise. The fools in charge got what they needed from Wade. Bargain salary and they were able to score points with the Captain's ultimate Orange cred. All while saddling him with a garbage lineup THEY put together. And he never once complained. Someone out there saw how he handled himself under the worst of situations. He will be around.

NDS10, Westside Cosmo, MLSNHTOWN and 4 others repped this.
  18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    At this point he would be better than some other candidates, though I question how fresh his approach to MLS 3.0 is.

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This shows the freedom you can have to voice your opinion when you are on a guaranteed contract

Levy2k6 repped this.
  20. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Hahaha. Look at all the likes, retweets, and positive comments. To quote Dom: we truly have some uneducated fans.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cabrera coached the US U-17 team for a while and one of his assistants was current Dynamo assistant Paul Caffrey. Not sure how they sell that as "fresh ideas".

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To close the book on Barrett - I thought he did a decent-to-good job early on in terms of stabilizing things and getting the team organized and motivated but ultimately was too conservative when in spots that demanded some aggressiveness. With the talent deficiency on the roster there was only so much upside.

What bothered me most was at Kansas City in a 2-2 game late and SKC fading, he subbed on Alexander instead of an attacking player. Why? Go for the win, bring on some speed. Just seemed like he fell back on the Dom Kinnear experience too often.

On the FO, it seems like they may have or could have made this decision earlier and you wonder why they didn't do so and then tell the coach to play the young guys and trialists and get some evaluation time.

There is a part of me that speculates that the FO (Jordan) made this decision to buy more time on the job. I've noticed a troubling pattern of built-in excuses planted well in advance (need cap space for winter when trading Barnes, then winter spend dependent on selling Cubo, then summer transfer window is better for acquiring players than winter, etc) and all of the "transition period" to a new coach buys him another season at the helm of the SS Minnow.

Hydro, *rey* and repin1836 repped this.
  23. repin1836

repin1836 Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Houston
    I feel so pissed at Jordan and Canetti for putting Wade through this. Wade might not have been the ideal manager, but they never put him in a position to succeed. How do you lose Barnes (who I really hated on for a visible lack of effort) and Cubo (overrated player IMO), and get Eric Alexander plus two players with zero MLS experience to replace their roster spots. Then you expect Wade to compete? I know he made Dom-like substitutions, but I think a lot of that was to get a result and hopefully keep a job.

This is just not the way you treat your employees. Good performance or bad performance. Clarity is essential when you hire or promote someone and I don't think Jordan / Canetti get this. I wouldn't want to take the head coach job here.

Nothing will get better until those two are gone. HOW does Jordan keep a job? He hasn't succeed anywhere. I don't get it. Just look at the roster and you can see what a shit show he has assembled.

I completely agree with this.

It's sad that one / two people are completely tanking this organization.

NDS10, Hydro and Heft repped this.
  24. repin1836

repin1836 Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Houston
    He coached a last place Chivas USA... Win!

Great youth coach, why does he need to move up? This is something that Klinsi has stressed for US soccer development (his best idea). We always push coaches up the ladder as opposed to keeping coaches in spots that they excel. They aren't like players, we don't need move them up so they can "challenge themselves." I've talked to a few youth coaches at Chelsea and this is something that they stress at every level. The U-12 coach, coaches U-12 players he doesn't move up to try to coach the first team, because that would just be a failure.

I hope Wilmer stays with RGV, I think that's his best position in this organization, and Matt Jordan's only good hire.

25. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say you're wrong. I don't think that the best players at RGV were always pulled up this season. Regardless of who they are, I suspect that the coaches need to be in closer connection between the two sides.