Barça Media Centre | Strictly Barça related Articles/Photos/Interviews/Comps NO MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also love to know the full backstory on that one too, Thiago was given #4 in preseason, but as I understand it that was before the final determination of jerseys was made. And it seemed that it was still understood by Thiago that Cesc would get #4 if he came (don't think Barca had to ask him to give it up). So not sure if Barca was giving it to Thiago in preseason to say to Arsenal and Cesc, 'now or never, quit stalling and make it official / not sure we really need your guy but he sure will be disgruntled if you keep him after all this'. If so I guess it helped/worked.

2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This is why the Putos are scared of hosting the Copa del Rey final.
    The best part starts at 5:55.
    And LOL at Stoichkov @ 8:40.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uPWeOcyvsc#t=356s"]Celebracion del barcelonismo en el Santiago Bernabeu final Copa del Rey 1997 - YouTube[/ame]

4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  5. Richarded

Richarded Member

May 16, 2006
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  6. skalomax

skalomax Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is that messi with the mask?

7. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Messi, he played just days (9 days IIRC) after fracturing his orbital bone, promising to wear the mask (a mask Puyol had worn earlier that season), but ditched it after a few minutes of the game - putting himself at even greater risk. So he made sure to score 2 goals in the first half, his team up 3-0, and then let the coach sub him off at half-time. That was the last season Messi, Cesc and Pique played together (as 16 year olds) before this one as Cesc left that summer and Pique left the next summer. There was a link to the article when the photo was first posted.

8. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Did you catch the announcer at 5:45 say: "...And who else should be "happy," in inverted commas, must be Mourinho."

Ron, can you or anybody explain what he was alluding to there? I know "The Translator" was Robson's assistant that season, but what was that comment about?

Also, on the treatment of injuries issue, there's this rare non-fluff piece from SPORT on how Cesc gets special personalized physical analyses and training regimes, as do all Barça players. This contrasts with the system at Arsenal, where all players train the same. The author argues that this is the standard at all English clubs, and he estimates that injuries cost Prem clubs 105 million euros per season on average. :eek:

Cesc apparently showed symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome at Arsenal, but no one recognized much less treated it. He had trained like an adult since age 16, and there was no special consideration for his age or condition or physical history.

In 2010-11, Cesc and Van Persie went against the tradition of getting 2 days rest after games. Instead they did individual recovery sessions, including aquatherapy. The result was that Cesc played 18 consecutive full matches without problems. His injuries were no longer muscle tears, as they had been in the past, but rather muscle fascia injuries, which reduced his average time out from 10 days to 3.

If you can read Spanish (or Google translate it), it's worth finding out more about the fitness regime at Barça:
    http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/marti-perarnau-plan-para-cesc-1440701

9. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
  10. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In a sport full of phonies, Lionel Messi never dives :

This video isn’t about a bunch of amazing kicks and goals. It’s about staying on your feet when the rest of the soccer world tries to get a penalty called instead.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S7hlL4sJek"]Lionel Messi never dives (New Compilation) - YouTube[/ame]

best comment : That guy probably doesn't even dive in to pools, he tries to walk on water :D

11. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt0D3wnps1E"]Iniesta y Casillas le piden autografos a la gente en la calle - YouTube[/ame]

Casillas and Iniesta treating random people on the street like celebrities. :D

12. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  14. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    pep raging at alexis for playing 90minutes for chile?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNSXdr2QPs4"]Pep Guardiola echa la bronca a Alexis Sanchez por su lesión - YouTube[/ame]

15. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    wow. and followed by some real tenderness today:

Pep:

16. W.Lewin

W.Lewin Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Argentine coach Alejandro Sabella explains his tactics against Barca during the CWC 2009. Sabella is currently the NT coach for Argentina. His team did very well against us in that final, much better than Santos during the Dec. 18th massacre.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnUkSnicSaQ"]Sabella explica cómo le jugó Estudiantes al Barcelona - YouTube[/ame]

I find this very interesting. Can anyone translate?

This related

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2009/12/pep_guardiola_is_piling_up.html

17. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I missed the Sporting match, but I watched the video above where Pep called out Alexis and read the quote about it posted by inswinger. I am pretty sure I understand the Spanish (maybe I am missing something), but I don't get exactly why Pep was pissed at Alexis for not "using his head". Is it because he played the full international match in mid-week in the US (not something he can control really, right?) or is it the way he played to get injured in the Sporting match?

Also, Pep saying that he's been talking to Chelsea "every day" is a joke, right? :eek:

18. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    alexis possibly asked to play the full 90 minutes for chile, if he had asked to come off in the second half maybe his body wouldn't have been as strained for the sporting game. "use your head" meaning, consider the consequences of insisting on playing 90 minutes of a friendly match when your clubs needs you.

and yes, talking to chelsea everyday was a joke

edit: apparently (according to the sportsnet pre-match preview today, alexis had agreed to only play 45 minutes for chile, but went on to play the full 90, so that explains pep's outburst)

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The Spanish Federation have unveiled a new logos for both the Copa del Rey tournament and the Supercopa...

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LujRz5CY9s&feature=player_embedded"]La RFEF presenta el nuevo logo de la Copa de SM El Rey - YouTube[/ame]

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7jAQu49bo"]Nuevo logotipo de la Supercopa de España, presentado por la RFEF - YouTube[/ame]​

20. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Too much to translate the whole thing, but the nutshell Sabella is explaining is that his main tactic with Estudiantes was to make sure that the Barça midfield (X-B-I + Messi at times) did not have numerical advantage to pass at will in the middle of the pitch.

Then the question came: so why did Estudiantes falter?

Sabella: fatigue! It's extremely tiring to defend and pressure Barça for all the time they possess the ball, and when you win the ball you are exhausted and they are coming at you with fresh legs...

He goes on to talk about the 4 Clásicos vs. LPB last season, of which Barça only won 1, so LPB, in Sabella's opinion, are "right there with them." The key for LPB was that they conceded possession to Barça but they did not concede "quality possession," i.e. they did not let Barça have the ball in dangerous positions.

~~~~~~

I think on the last point, he is partially correct. However, his earlier point also applies--LPB have not found a way to defend with high pressure for 90 minutes, which is really the only way to have a chance against us when we're hitting all cylinders. That's why you see the same pattern in the Clásicos where LPB are dangerous early and we seem out of sorts, but then they fade as the game wears on.

21. _LMG_10_

_LMG_10_ Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Lionel Messi is going to break the record for breaking records.

He's on 48 goals in all competitions - the record is 63 goals in 1 season by Dixie Dean in 1927 for Everton.
    Messi is also on pace to becoming Barca's all-time top goalscorer this season. I found the info here:
    http://tenmillionslaves.com/lionel-messi-the-greatest-ever/

22. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Here's a short article on Twitter. :)
    @barcastuff: Messi's average Barcelona goals/game last 4 seasons: 0.74 - 0.88 - 0.96 - 1.14 (ongoing)

23. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Welcome to BS and to the Barcelona forum, LMG.

I can't help but notice that every post you've put up so far includes a link to this website. I assume you are affiliated with it, or maybe run the site. Nothing wrong with trying to get more traffic to your site, especially since it's related content, but it might rub some people the wrong way if they perceive it as spamming.

25. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ^^^
    I must say, though, that one of those links provides a great image that I can't recall ever seeing. (It's not from this season based on Messi's shirt)
    VeB needs to use this when he starts the next Clasico thread.

[​IMG]

And seeing that, I can't help but include this classic...

[​IMG]