Ballon D'Or 2012 (part 2)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's nominally based on a calendar year, but people have to take also the whole season along when deciding, if they use team trophies as any kind of argument. The vote is at the end of November so it's basically 11 months nominally, but in practice from star of last season to end of November, depending on what voters prefer.

2. MailMan

MailMan Red Card

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    those messi shoes are incredibly ugly anyways

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the vote is before end of November. Mano voted for Brazil and he was fired on the 24th. I believe it's actually in end of October.

In all honesty there is no clear guideline. I remember before FIFA merged with Balon D'Or, the voting was done in September. Which would imply European season and not calendar year. As the award ceremony has been pushed later and later (now in January), the voting has been done later. But I still don't think FIFA gives any guidelines to the voters.

4. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The voting time is about a month, from october when the shortlist is published to the end of november, so you can vote when ever during that perioid.

5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  6. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Dude, can you just answer my question. As one of the main arguments against Ronaldo I'd like to actually know the methodology behind it, even if it works against him. If you don't know the answer, that's fine, but don't be a coward and continue to ignore it.

7. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You didn't ask me but I almost get the feeling that you may lose sleep if someone doesn't answer.
    That Celta match was a Copa del Rey second leg tie. Real lost the first match 2-1, so obviously his first goal mattered since it ultimately became the goal that put them through to the next round (on away goals). The second goal perhaps mattered as it meant that Real could've afforded to concede a goal without having that goal knocking them out of the tournament. Third goal probably didn't matter so much. Insurance goal more than anything.

8. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Keep your immature jibes to yourself or at least in the Barcelona forum.

Judging by your answer, you clearly have no idea as to the context of my question as I was simply using the game as a reference and example for the criteria he used. My question had to do with whether his criteria would award Ronaldo "points" for his goals despite the fact that his 3 goals came in a 4-0 win.

9. Skorenzy

Skorenzy Member

Dec 30, 2011
    I'm not sure, but I think his methodology is to just remove every goal (maybe also assists?) that Messi and C. Ronaldo scored from the match results and then look at the difference with/without.

By the way, I'm not saying I agree with this method or that it is a good way to do this, but just what I think he did.

Let's have a quick look, La Liga only (2011/12 season):

Lionel MESSI
    - 2-2 v Athletic [1 goal], a draw becomes a loss: -1pt
    - 4-2 v Betis [2 goals], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 4-1 v Málaga [3 goals], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 2-1 v Real Sociedad [1 goal/1 assist], a win becomes a loss: -3pts
    - 5-1 v Valencia [4 goals], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 2-1 v Atlético [1 goal], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 2-0 v Racing [2 goals], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 5-3 v Granada [3 goals/1 assist], a win becomes a loss: -3pts
    - 2-0 v Athletic [1 goal/1 assist], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 4-1 v Zaragoza [2 goals/1 assist], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 2-1 v Levante [2 goals], a win becomes a loss: -3pts
    - 4-1 v Málaga [3 goals], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 4-0 v Espanyol [4 goals], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    = -28pts (13 games)

Cristiano RONALDO
    - 4-2 v Getafe [1 goal/1 assist], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 3-2 v Valencia [1 goal], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 4-1 v Atlético [2 goals/1 assist], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 4-2 v Levante [3 goals/1 assist, a win becomes a loss: -3pts
    - 1-0 v Rayo Vallecano [1 goal], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 3-2 v Betis [2 goals], a win becomes a loss: -3pts
    - 1-1 v Málaga [1 assist], a draw becomes a loss: -1pt
    - 1-1 v Villarreal [1 goal], a draw becomes a loss: -1pt
    - 5-1 v Osasuna [2 goals/2 assists], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 4-1 v Atlético [3 goals/1 assist], a win becomes a loss: -3pts
    - 2-1 v FC Barcelona [1 goal], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    - 2-1 v Granada [1 goal], a win becomes a draw: -2pts
    = -25pts (12 games)

... Make of that what you want. (it's a ludicrous method; and I think he uses a more extensive method of counting assists, which would explain why he has 35pts and I got to 28)

Anyway, personally, I do think that Messi carried Barcelona more than Cristiano did Real, but it's obvious to anyone that the latter scored the most important goal that season (the 2-1 in the Clásico that effectively sealed the title).

10. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not going to explain it again, you can find all the info here:

Messi & Cronaldo La Liga 2011-2012

Goals:

Messi 50 (10 penalty)
    Cronaldo 46 (12 penalty)

Accuracy:

Messi 5.5 shots/ goal
    Cronaldo 6.9 shots/ goal

Individuality of goals:

Messi, 22/50 or 44% were directly assisted (no involvement in buildup play)
    Cronaldo, 35/46 or 80% were directly assisted (no involvement in buildup play)

Assists: (transfermarkt.co.uk FIFA rules)

Messi 20
    Cronaldo 12

Creativity:

Messi 56 throughballs, 92 key passes (resulting in a shot)
    Cronaldo 19 throughballs, 60 key passes (resulting in a shot)

Build up play:

Messi 176 dribbless
    Cronaldo 73 dribbless

Lost posession:

Messi 96 dispossessed + 61 turnovers = 157 times
    Cronaldo 79 dispossessed + 86 turnovers = 165 times

MoM (whoscored.com, OPTA 200)

Messi 24
    Cronaldo 15

Importance of stats:

Here is La Liga 11-12 without Messi's and Cronaldo's goals, and assists:

[​IMG]

http://king-football.com/bb/?p=431

Messi got points for the team in 15 games, 35 overall.
    Cronaldo got points for the team in 11 games, 25 overall.

11. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Look around, my friend. This whole thread is full of immaturity.

I got what you said. In the end, does it really matter what kind of criteria anyone uses? Sergio Ramos, Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Buffon, Casillas, Zlatan, Rooney, Özil... they all received first place votes. To each his own.

12. Skorenzy

Skorenzy Member

Dec 30, 2011
    You haven't even explained it once: you just keep posting the same stats over and over as if they're some sort of argument when someone asks HOW you calculated them...

The best I can figure is you did like I outlined it in the post before, but you have different criteria for assists (like pen. won, rebounds, deflected passes, etc.) ?

Also you're even wrong in your own stats. You say Messi won 35 points for Barça, but in that league table you post 58 for Barça without Messi. (91-35=56)

13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've multiple times, you can find the notes from the link provided, again. Yes you're right it should be 56.

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Villa scores 2 goals without messi playing
    , surprise surprise

15. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Lol no, dude, that isn't what I'm referring to. My question pertains to the whole "Messi's goals got this many points for Barcelona last season vs Ronaldo's goals got this many points for Real last season". I was wondering and asking about the methodology behind it. I used the game against Celta as an example as if it were a league game. Ronaldo scored the first 3 goals in a 4-0 win. If it were a league game, using Bada Bing's methodology, would he have "awarded" Real Madrid 3 points or 0 points because of Khedira's last goal. I ask because without Ronaldo's goals "technically" it would still be 1-0, and Real would win. In actuality, and logically, Ronaldo's goals absolutely and unarguably changed the course of the whole game. Let me know if this makes any sense. Having a difficult time trying to verbalize this.

16. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cronaldo assisted the last goal against Celta so in the league format his direct contribution gave 2 points. In relation this is the same methodology as you and others are using when you say Cronaldo scored the most important goal in Clasico. It was the team which kept the score equal so Cronaldo's goal became important. Furthermore Messi created the first Barcelona goal scoring situation with his dribble from the center, gave throughball to Xavi which he blundered, and was actually based on 200 collective OPTA stats better player in that match than Cronaldo.

17. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    as a LW.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What else is new? Villa has been scoring consistently all season.

19. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Villa scored 5goals at WC10 w.o Messi remember?

20. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, the way it's all written here everything you've stated makes sense to me.

Fuhkin' hell. lol I'm old school. I watch the sport for enjoyment. I don't even try to understand this whole numbers game with futbol and have always left that stuff to baseball. I've watched that sport my entire life and although I can explain the infield fly rule I've given up trying to understand the difference between an earned run and unearned run. lol
    Bing, I love you from the Barca forum but I'm getting a headache looking at all that. Sorry bro. :oops:

21. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How about the writers from Vanuatu and Outer Mongolia? Do they know more than the captain and the coach? Does the writer from Gazzetta know more than the coach or captain of Italy?

Who are these "experts" and who gets to determine who they are? There are fanboys amongst the journalists as much as there are amongst captains and coaches......
    Btw Sneijder is not the first to be "robbed" of the award, even before when there were two awards, there were players being robbed by journalists and/or captains and coaches.

22. DazerII

DazerII Member

May 27, 2011
    101 pages later plus other deleted threads Bada Bing is still posting this bul*#%t!!! For heaven sake who the f:#k really believe for some reason/s Barca were goijng to lose to the likes of Zaragoza just because Messi was not playing. Player 4 player Barca/Madrid always have more quality squads than any other teams in La Liga and as such even without their talismen (Messi/Ronaldo) claiming they were going to lose is either plain ignorance or just a pipe dream.

23. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So how many of Messi's goals have led to wins/titles and how many of CR7's for the period between November 2011 to November 2012 ( the time between voting for the 2011 award and 2012 award)?

24. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Interesting.....

I don't see him trying to shake his hand. They seem to be just exchanging looks or stares......remember when CR7 pushed Pep on the sidelines at one of the heated Clasicos?

Would Mourinho shake Messi's hand, btw? He wouldn't even attend the ceremony.....:)

25. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No problemo, those stats are just to further enhance argument. I also believe football is going more and more in the direction of statistical analyze, I believe most top teams are using them pretty extensively already. And with these stats, and the fact that Messi was chosen the best forward and player in La Liga, who was better in the league shouldn't be part of any kind of discussion in this thread, not at least anymore.