Balkan Premier League

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by JoeTerp, Apr 13, 2009.

1. JoeTerp

JoeTerp Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA
    I don't know the politics of the region too well other than I am sure it is pretty complicated and heated. So I don't know how well the idea would go over with the people of the region, much less the governments and football associations. And then there would be the whole matter of UEFA and FIFA approving such a league, which again is highly unlikely. However, I would like to bring the idea up, and bring up the question on whether or not such a league would be beneficial to the clubs/players/countries in it.

I would imagine 2 18 team divisions from the following countries: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaira, Greece, Macedonia, Montenegro, Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Romania, and Albania.

All the countries would continue to run their domestic leagues as normal (but without their best teams) and the winner of each league would enter into a qualification stage to earn one of the 4 promotion slots to replace the 4 relegated teams from the 2nd division.

1st Division:
    Levski Sofia (Bulgaria)
    PFC CSKA Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia)
    HNK Hajduk Split (Croatia)
    FK Rabotnicki (Macedonia)
    FK Buducnost Podgorica (Montenegro)
    NK Domzale (Slovenia)
    KS Dinamo Tirana (Albania)
    FK Modrica (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
    FK Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)
    Red Star Belgrade (Serbia)
    Panathinaikos FC (Greece)
    Olympiacos FC (Greece)
    AEK Athens (Greece)
    FC Steaua Bucuresti (Romania)
    CFR Cluj (Romania)
    FC Dinamo Bucuresti (Romania)
    FC Universitatea Craiova (Romania)

2nd Division:
    PFC Lokomotiv 1936 Plovdiv (Bulgaria)
    PFC Litex Lovech (Bulgaria)
    NK Zagreb (Croatia)
    FC Rapid Bucuresti (Romania)
    FC Timisoara (Romania)
    PAOK FC (Greece)
    Aris FC (Greece)
    KS Vllaznia Shkoder (Albania)
    KF Tirana (Albania)
    NK Maribor (Slovenia)
    NK Celje (Slovenia)
    FK Vardar (Macedonia)
    FK Pobeda Prilep (Macedonia)
    FK Zeta Golubovci (Montenegro)
    FK Mogren (Montenegro)
    FK Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
    FK Zeljeznicar Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
    FK Velez Mostar (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

2. TorontoFCMelbourne

Apr 7, 2007
    I find it extremely strange that you give Bulgaria, Croatia, Montenegro 3 teams each and Bosnia 4! Yet, Serbia only has 2 :confused: Bosnia 4 teams and Serbia 2? Way off the mark.

I'd take out one of the Bosnian teams and add Vojvodina from Serbia.

But otherwise, you're right, the Balkans desperately need a unified league of some kind; the standard of football on a domestic league front, outside of Greece and Romania, continues to plummet.

3. Matakos

Matakos Member+

May 18, 2009
    Macedonia, Greece
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    You mean FYROM

4. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Hahahahahahahaha

The only possibility in reality is a unified ex-Yugoslav league, and that would be a far stretch.

This would be the 1st division if it were ever to happen:

FK Velez (Bosnia)
    FK Zeljeznicar (Bosnia)
    Siroki Brijeg (Bosnia)
    FK Sarajevo (Bosnia)
    NK Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia)
    HNK Hajduk Split (Croatia)
    NK Osijek (Croatia)
    HNK Rijeka or HNK Cibalia (Croatia)
    FK Rabotnicki (FYROM)
    FK Buducnost Podgorica (Montenegro)
    FK Mogren (Montenegro)
    NK Olimpija Ljubljana (Slovenia)
    NK Maribor (Slovenia)
    NK Rudar Velenje (Slovenia)
    Red Star Belgrade (Serbia)
    Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)
    Vojvodina (Serbia)
    OFK Belgrade (Serbia)

Realistically Romania and Greece have to be happy with their leagues after successful runs in the Champions League and Europa League in the recent 2-3 years.

Bulgaria would also be an option but they were never a part of the unified Yugoslav league so I doubt it. And as for Albania (same reason as Bulgaria)

BUT IT WOULD BE AMAZING if all the countries you mention would make a unified league. The games would be special.

5. RedStarBg

RedStarBg Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Serbia
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    The only reason why this league is not yet formed are hooligans (especially from Croatia and Serbia), for example it's already formed basketball league in which participate teams from Serbia, Bosnia, Slovenia, Croatia and Montenegro, but in first season after the establishment there was a big problem because of frequent violent clashes between fans of foreign clubs when Croatian fans are coming to Serbia, and vice versa. They solved this problem specifying that only domestic fans may be in the sports arena, and now leauge is functioning completely normal. As you said situation is pretty complicated and heated and it will take several years before they decide to establish this league. But i think without Romania, Albania and Greece, only former Yougoslavia countries and maybe Bulgaria.

6. scum

scum New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    If Greece could participate in a Balkan league why not Turkey, its Balkan territory is the size of Macedonia.

I went to some places in the former Yugoslav area recently, Croatia in particular was amazing.

7. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    No... the former Balkan league is simple... former Yugoslav countries. The other leagues.. Greece and Turkey for example function well. You have had success so I don't see the reason for unificatin.

The main reason behind the Yugoslav league is the quality of football. Before 1990's Yugoslav football was very good. And Red Star and other teams went fairly far in Europe.. that is what I am mainly arguing for.

8. RedStarBg

RedStarBg Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Serbia
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    yes that's the only problem, Turkey and Greece dont need to enter this league.

9. TiltoKolapsas

TiltoKolapsas New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, I did not know there was an pan-Yugoslavia basketball league.

This would make it a lot tougher for the Yugoslavia/Balkan teams to get to the Champions League, though. How much do teams like Rabotnicki and Rijeka care about their annual doomed appearances in Europe? Because they would no longer be qualifying for Europe if their little tiny leagues are all turned into one.