Balboa (no, not Rocky)...

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Bman, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Bman

Bman Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Beverly, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. NewRevsFan

NewRevsFan New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    I think they're just activating them so they can use him in the playoffs if neccesary. My understanding is they have to activate people they intend to lose before the last game of the season so...

3. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I can't imagine that he'd be anywhere near ready for Saturday's match.

4. NewRevsFan

NewRevsFan New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Meant to say activate people they intend to use.

5. nymetrostars2002

nymetrostars2002 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    Yeah Balboa has been seen rehabing with rehab GURU tab ramos and should be ready to play by 9/21/2005.
    but seriously tim howard will be missed he's been great, he owned the area until the defense would let someone go in alone and score :(

6. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    This (from Chris Bergen at PlanetFootball) seems to indicate that Balboa might actually play.

What scares me is the prospect of Ramos and Balboa on the field at the same time. Not because they can really play anymore - but because MLS officials have pretty much officially inducted these into the "blessed Hall of Fame players who can do no wrong" category (other honorary members, comically, being Alexi Lalas and Hristo Stoichkov).

I can't see the there being much contact with either of these "legends" that doesn't lead to a free kick of some sort for the Metros.

Yes, paranoid I know - but just watch and see if I'm right.

7. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    There is nothing in what Chris Bergan has written that says any more that what was released a few days ago by the MUTTS. Balboa has been activated(period). I would doubt that he is fit enough to play having just gotten back to full practice activity. However, I do hear your concern about "sacred cow" being protected by Refs. I don't think this has been a problem.

8. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Subtly different. This article/interview implies he may actually play on Saturday. Given the tumultous situation in Swampland and Oz' penchance for veteran players, I would no longer be surprised if we saw Balboa on Saturday - even if it were as a substitute.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.