Balanced vs. Unbalanced lineups on A team

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by ppierce34, Feb 26, 2018.

1. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    #1 ppierce34, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    So my daughter, U10, plays on the "A" team for her club. The coach starts, who we can only assume, are his top 6 field players and a keeper. He then just subs in the 2nd team and alternates like that throughout the game. Playing time is definitely fair, no complaints there. Just curious what your experience is with this. What i dont like is its really like having 2 separate teams within a team as none of the other players on the 2nd line play with any of the 1st line players. This is a pretty competitive club and most players on the team are solid. However, there is definitly a bit of a drop off between lines. Would you guys prefer to see a balanced line or keep it the way it is? I'd say my daughter just misses the 1st line cut because if someone on that first line is out she starts but as a parent i would like to see her out there with the top line kids every once in a while from a developmental standpoint.

Its really not a huge deal to me or my daughter but doesnt something like this debunk the "development over winning" mantra that so many clubs like to spew?

2. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My daughter played for a coach like that. He had his favorite 6 ; even had separate practices for those 6.
    It sucked.

The coach left our club so he can charge $3000 at a mid tier club and alienate more families.

3. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Soooooo you're not a fan of that approach?

On one hand i get it, best players should start. From a selfish standpoint i'd like to see my kid with those other players. We go 9v9 next Fall so problem most likely solved.

4. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Not a fan at all. The point is to develop players. What this coach did , set my daughter back two years in development. She got less playing time and attention.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not a fan either…the concept of “starter” at that age doesn’t really have meaning, it at least it shouldn’t…coaches like this do a disservice to everyone involved…players, club, and parents….

Just as no 9 year old should be pigeonholed into a position, neither should they be labeled, either formally or carelessly, as starter or bench player….at best, it’s no big deal; at worst it create expectations and divisions that have no reason to exist…

6. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I just think it creates a division within the team. You basically have 2 separate independent teams. The girls on each line bond with each other on the bench, during the game etc...There is no reason for it. Not to mention if we are truly about development, wouldn't it benefit the so called 2nd teamers to play some with the 1st teamers?

7. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #7 mwulf67, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Yes, all of that for sure…

Like I say, I think it can do more than that as well…

You create an A team “starter” out of an 9 year old….then come next year that same A Team player is now coming off the bench (a non-starter)….same playtime, same everything….yet you created the possible and likely perception that something has changed, that something is “wrong”….

OMG, WHY isn’t my kid starting anymore?!?! Time to change clubs….to a club that understands my little 10 years old is a STARTER god damn it!

Or you have kids leave, just to find someplace to be a “starter”…could be new club/team…could a different sport altogether…

It’s bad enough to have A teams and B teams at that age (but I accept the reality of it), but then to break the those teams down further into 1st and 2nd teamers (starters vs non-starters)….talk about doubling down on stupidity…

SimpleGirl and bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    At u10?

Wow :rolleyes:

IMO it's too young to be segmenting the kids like this. Sounds like lazy coaching.

bigredfutbol and mwulf67 repped this.
  9. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The position thing is an interesting one. Do you think that kids at that age should have a primary position that they naturally gravitate towards and then play different positions when the game is out of hand? Or do you think kids should switch up positioning every game regardless?

I understand that results shouldnt dictate this in a perfect world but we dont live in one and i think its better for kids to experience other positions when there may not be as much pressure on them.

10. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We actually have excellent coaching in this club. All "A" and "B" licsensed staff. Training is very good as well just that little thing with the 1st and 2nd teams irked me a bit.

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Do the u10 players have designated positions? Or are they moved around the field from game to game - or even during the game?

12. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What pressure? The internal, normal, healthy pressure of these kids might feel while playing…or the external, unhealthy pressure projected by and from adults…coaches and parents? Unfortunately, I have a feeling you are referring more about the latter, then the former….

But anyway, yes U-littles should be routinely moved/switched around positionally, without any or much regard to the score line, outcome, or standings ….a certain amount of healthy, internal pressure, the kind you can only get during game situations, is necessary for full and proper development…U-little coaches should be developing well-rounded Soccer Players….not forwards or defenders….

13. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Moved around the field during the game only when the outcome has been decided.

14. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This is one of those theoretically great ideas that never happens. We've played travel and in 2 clubs and i have never seen this happen.

15. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Again you say all the right things and i agree with what you say but this all happens so rarely. Our coach gave me the development over winning speech prior to us joining, as do all coaches, and presto we have 2 lines and the girl with the strongest kick takes every set piece. Both of those things scream winning over development to me.

16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yup.

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    At u10???

I would not have my kid there.

18. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #18 VolklP19, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    These are two threads you started which tells me that despite the license level of some of your coaches, you may be better off somewhere else.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/playing-time-apps-without-permission.2072390/

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-u10-practice-breakdown.2070551/#post-35870221

19. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Oh, I agree it’s ideal and maybe, and sadly, a rarity….but you did ask me what I think….

Nor, I am suggesting you confront the coach over it or necessarily leave the club…I just think they are dings against this coach/club that you should take note of and keep track of (those dings can start to add up...and then it make be time to find something else)….clearly he/they are blowing smoke up something with their whole development over winning spiel, which like you say, is hardly uncommon

ppierce34 repped this.
  20. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
  21. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Are the starters the same game to game (or weekend to weekend)? If this is just the first game/first weekend, I wouldn't be too concerned. If he does the same thing 3-4 games in a row, I think you'd be justified in asking questions (after a practice, not after a game).

As far as pigeon holing, I agree kids should be exposed to multiple positions. However, my son (now U15) has pretty much played defense since U10. He'd occasionally get moved up to mid, but that was only in blowouts. That's club ball. Middle school ball had him as a forward for part of his last season. DD (U12 on a U13 squad) plays keeper, defense, and mid.

22. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You'd love it there! Ha they also have 15 kids o
    Starters are the same every game yes. he did start the 2nd line once but the team we played was complete trash and he knew it. again, line 1 never mingles with line 2 no matter how he plays it.

23. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    what are everyone's thoughts on the fact that we currently have 15 on the roster for 7v7 and they can only take 11-12 to tournaments? And this club has a lot of tournaments. i dont think my daughter would be in jeopardy of not making the tournament cut but i'm struggling with that type of cuthroat nature at 9-10 years old.

24. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois

Training is huge. I feel the same way but we are older so that's when you expect positioning to start playing a role and having 1st and 2nd teams. However less DA/ECNL, all teams train together which is critical if a club is going to maintain any sort of development concept.

25. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Roster top girls with boys for tourneys and let the lower half find themselves - leadership/more play time etc... Tourneys are not as critical as training but can be beneficial in this sense.

Of course the boys may not like it :)