Rumor: Baggio Hušidić - to Hammarby?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Corn, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
    According to this twitter Baggio Hušidić on the move to Hammarby (the same club as Charlie Davies started his European carrer in).

RT @iansarachan Couldn’t be happier for @Ba99io on his move to Hammarby (Sweden). Only the start of many good things ahead!

Does anybody have anything to say about his ups and downs?
    Is he the savior Hammarby desperatly need to fight their way back up to the Swedish first division next year?

2. gvsu

gvsu Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Adding to Corn's info: The tweet was removed by Ian Sarachan just after it was found by Swedish tweeters - whatever that may mean. There has been no official info from the club or any other source.

Hammarby, as some may already know, signed Gregg Berhalter as head coach a few weeks ago, and had several US players on trial in November, including Kamani Hill. AEG has a 49% share in the club and former Galaxy player Chris Klein is on the board of directors. So even though Hammarby is a second division club at this time there may be some substance to this rumor.

And, to reiterate - is the guy any good? :)

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we please stop calling him Baggio?
    It's just embarrassing....
    His name is Adis Hušidić.

What would you call Adam Cristman if his father nicknamed him Pelé?

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  5. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'd call him whatever he wanted to be called, for the same reason the Galaxy doesn't have an Adolph DeLaGarza on it's backline, or Toronto has a Ty Harden instead of a Robert Harden or the endless supply of Brazilians who go by a nickname professionally.

Seems a strange critique, I mean, it's not a J.P. Peguero situation where it takes a few years to discover which is his first name and which is his last.

If he was indeed heading to Hammarby, I'd expect him to be a good signing for them. He's not fast, but has decent technical skills and can pick out a pass well enough. He's in a large group of MLS players who aren't really good enough to be regular starters, but is a good option off the bench. He'd probably adjust to Sweden's more technical approach better than a lot of MLSers.

I wouldn't call him Hammarby's savior (by a long shot), but he'd be a good pickup for them.

That being said, with Hammarby's financial woes, he may find it more lucrative to stay stateside (he made $124k last year due to his former GA status, but would certainly have to settle for less if he wants to sign with Colorado), but I don't really know what kind of wages Hammarby would be willing to give him.

6. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, would he be considered a Yank-Abroad? I dont think he was ever eligible for the US which is sad seeing how he spent a healthy portion of his life here.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yeah, I was just wondering the same thing; he didn't move to the U.S. until he was 10 years old. Anyone know if he has U.S. citizenship?

EDIT: according to this post, he does:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16575827&postcount=14

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I've been told by someone who would know that Husidic has US citizenship.

10. Corn

Corn Member

Aug 17, 2006
  11. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now i know :D

Baggio has talent though a tad slow. He didnt have the best season in 2011, but 2010 he had quite a successful one. He is by no means a savior but he is by no means a scrub. I've always like Baggio's game and thought some fans judged too quickly. Hope he finds success with Gregg

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Hard to say, not just because they play different positions, but also because of the fact that Hill was in Europe for over 4 years and barely even played 10 games of first-team football.

13. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. In addition he may find Europe slightly better for his skill set than MLS. He has little speed, but his touch is very good and he has nice vision. I liked him while he was with the Fire, but his 2011 season was not the best.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm surprised people are saying he's slow since he was an accomplished sprinter in high school.

Or, maybe I'm surprised he was an accomplished sprinter in high school since so many are saying he's slow.

Regardless, there appears to be some incongruity.

15. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, he was accomplished in high school. Now he's running against professional athletes. All of them could have been sprinters in high school.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me of a segment of one of Bill James' old baseball abstracts.

From the late 50s to the early 70s, there was a great, great pitcher named Bob Gibson. Then, in the 80s, there was a thoroughly mediocre pitcher named Bob Gibson. James wrote that he knew it was silly and irrational, but he was offended that someone as unimpressive as Bob Gibson was using Bob Gibson's name.

17. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Sounds like a really healthy signing for Hammarby if true. They need to stop thinking about signing "saviours" like they have in recent years and instead slowly raise the overall level of all eleven starting players which has been really low over the last few seasons.

If he were to sign I'm pretty sure that the contract would be written in such a way that he gets one type of salary right now in the second division and then an increase to a bigger one if/when they are back in the first division.

18. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isnt any real evidence that has come out saying he is a US citizen. I know he has been here since 10 but he may not be a yank abroad if he never got citizenship. He is straight up Bosnian from everything I have ever seen on him. Until we know for sure, lets use this as a congratulatory thread for Greg Berhalter for signing him on.. :D

19. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    As a Fire season ticket holder. He's slow...he's slower than a 30 year old Logan Pause.
    When you have players in this league like Dominic Oduro, Zakuani, Landon Donovan and etc, that's a problem.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you Fire fans considered the nickname Logan "Theo Walcott" Pause?

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worse MLSers than Husidic have done well in Sweden's second tier.

22. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    The signing has now been made official on the Hammarby website.

The director of sports commented:
    "Colorado drafted him but we acted quickly and gave him a proposal before he had signed anything with them. He liked the thought of playing for Hammarby and he is very excited to come over here to us."

Berhalter commented:
    "Baggio is a player with a nice understanding of the game and good technical qualities. He has the ability to put his teammates in good chances with his passing. He will add a good balance in our central midfield by being able to penetrate from a lower starting point. We're happy to have him at Hammarby."

23. djaeb2000

djaeb2000 Member

Jun 6, 2000
    ~~~Arsonists~~~
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If he puts him at foward, good luck. If he plays him at midfield, he might be a decent Swedish league player.

24. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rt2h0NoIi8"]HTV: Adis "Baggio" Husidic redo att köra igång med Hammarby - YouTube[/ame]

25. Rolle

Rolle Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lMz4JpJMIw"]HTV: "Baggio" om första tiden i Bajen - YouTube[/ame]