Bad news for Brazil?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Guigs, Jan 22, 2013.

1. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Come on. Brazil, nowadays, has bigger possibility to be eliminate in Groups Stage (of the Confeds Cup) than to beat Spain.

I do believe Brazil has enough time to become a pretty strong team for the World Cup, but today is not even a team. It is mere a bunch of players in yellow shirts...

2. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ^

I could agree Brazil is weaker than Brazil's fans make them to be, but then again, even today's version of Brazil has shown potential. If they can click it together (and if their key players keep evolving until the World Cup), who knows what will happen. And anyway, I think it's risky business to underestimate traditional powerhouses. World Cup's format also makes things possible: I'd say in that in a "league system world cup" Brazil simply wouldn't win, but in knock-off system it's a bit different.

axxess mundi repped this.
  3. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Scolari looks to be in the same situation as he was in 2001.

4. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Minus the talent, world class players of course.

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agree. The squad in 2001 were much better in quality, they just need to be in sync with each other
    Even without Ronaldo, that team were still much better, The squad now are not just worse in quality, but younger and inexperienced .... SAD!

- FW: Romario, Elber, Giovani >> Fabiano, Fred, Hulk
    - AM: Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Juninho, Denilson > Neymar, Lucas, Oscar , Robinho
    - DM: Gilberto, Emerson, Kleberson > Paulinho, Ramirez, Lucas leiva
    - FB: Carlos, Cafu Belleti Junior > Alves, Marcello, Adriano ...
    - CB: Lucio, Edmilson > Thiago silva + David Luiz
    - even wider range of GK: Marcos, Dida, Ceni are atleast same as Cesar and Alves

On top of the wildcard of Ronaldo, and young Kaka,

MatthausSammer repped this.
  6. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Spain lost to england as well not to long ago

[]__[]

7. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Spain lost to england as well not to long ago

[]__[]

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The difference is Spain had actually proved themselves in international competitions of far more importance than these friendlies whereas Brazil hasn't done jack in international competitions since 2009.

9. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In a game spain dominated from minute 1-90, Brazil cannot share the same sentiment.

10. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Huge minus. It their darkest hour lucky for them they are already qualified for the WC.

11. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Huge minus. It their darkest hour lucky for them they are already qualified for the WC.

12. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Neither has germany, italy, france, holland, or argentina

[]__[]

13. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    We did not know that then. We all thought the situation was hopeless. And that was before being eliminated in the Copa America by HONDURAS!

14. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All of them, with the exceptions of Argentina and France, have been superior in international tournaments recently.
    Germany:
    Euro 2012: Semi-finalist
    World Cup 2010: Third Place

Italy:
    Euro 2012: Second Place
    World Cup 2010: Group stages

Holland:
    Euro 2012: Group stages
    World Cup 2010: Second Place

Brazil:
    Copa America 2011: Quarterfinalist
    World Cup 2010: Quarterfinalist

Brazil has been consistently meh, Germany has been consistently right there, and everyone else is all over the place.

15. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Your point was that brasil hasnt proven themselves in international tournaments while suggesting others have. Well other than Spain and Uruguay no other team has won anything in the international stage. Brasil won the last confederation cup in 2009 which is more than any other team can say. And holland didnt even made it out of group in the lat euros and Italy the same in the last world cup. But in your biased mind they both have done better than brasil.

[]__[]

16. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No one has won anything, but you can prove yourself without winning something. Germany have proven themselves as contenders by consistently making semi-finals and beating good teams along the way. Brazil have consistently made quarter-finals. You say there's no difference because both teams never won anythig. You know there's thirty-one others teams other than the winner in a WC, right? Your measure of you can only prove yourself if you win something is primtive and archaic. By your measure there is zero difference between Honduras and Brazil. And by your measure my point still stands; Brazil have proven jack that says they are ready to beat Spain. And yes both Italy and Holland have done more than Brazil because both came closer to actually winnning something than Brazil have done recently.

17. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL so germany is a contender because they made it one more round than brasil... meanwhile brasil hasnt proven themselves......lol your bias knows no end

[]__[]

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes it does mean Germany has a substantially better track record than Brazil in major international tournaments recently, but we're getting away from the main point; is Brazil ready to go up against and beat Spain? If your answer is "no", my disagreement with you ceases, if your answer is "yes", elaborate.

19. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Germany were beaten by the champions in 08/10......

Brazil lol, not so much ;)

20. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Right now nobody can make a case for any team around the world being favorites over Spain. They are the favorites (spain) until they are beaten in a major tournament they will continue to be the favorites.

There are plenty of contenders that could overthrown the current kings of football spain and brasil is one of them. Anybody that makes a list of contenders and leaves out brasil is crazy and biased.

I ask you the same question what has Germany done to make you believe they are ready to beat Spain in a major international tournament. Or Italy, France, Argentina or any other major contender being mentioned here.

[]__[]

21. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree, Brazil is one of the contenders.

Didn't he already answer? Germany "always" makes it to the semis. That means consistence and very high quality. That's a good combo when one's chances are considered. Italy? 2006 winner, 2012 Euro finalist. Argentina and France (and few others) - just like Brazil - powerhouses that are always contenders.

22. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Especially when accomplished by very young players in a transitioning team on the upswing. Brazil underachieved in 2010 with an experienced side.

23. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    To be honest, watching Barcelona play, and watching Xavi not even be able to run anymore and Iniesta just trying too hard but not able to dictate the pace by himself. I think Spain will be an absolute bust in the WC. They will be like Italy in the 2010 WC. Returning Champions with a bunch of old people.

Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina are my favorites.

Spain is done.

Only reason I put Brazil up there, it's because they are the home team. But this WC is way open right now.
    • Italy can quickly fix themselves and be a great contender
    • Germany has been the same team for a long time now, and has the same flaws defensively
    • Argentina has no defense.
    • Brazil went from the end of a transition period to the beginning of a new transition period, a year before the cup. (Felipao was bad news)
    That's an open cup right there.

24. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm sorry, but when you don't count Spain as a very serious contender, you can't be taken seriously. You don't have to like them, and they sure have their weaknesses and problems, but come on now.

PapaDoc23 repped this.
  25. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    The last couple of years has been so depressing for the Selecao. Loses to Mexico,England,Germany,France,Holland,ArgentinaI do not think we are going to win in 2014. The boys are too young and will be playing at home underneath so much pressure it is insane. I think they will be ready in 2018 but it is too sopn for 2014. Time magazine had a blasphemous title of calling Neymar the "next Pele" last I check he has not played a world cup yet to be called the next Pele. I have been against Dinho inclusion in the team for a long time. He hast played well for the team since 2002. When he was at his peak 2004-2008 he never played well in the national team. Why do we think that know at his decline he will be any better. And anybody who is delusional to think we can beat Spain is out of their minds. Spain has shown what chemistry and world class put together can do when done right. We would get our ass kicked by Spain like 4-2.

Spain is still one of the favorites but I do not think they will win. I believe it will be Germany's time to shine. They have been done hard by for so long and there youth players are matured and good enough to win. Italy is better and will go deep especially if the Pharaoh starts for them. Brazil it all depends this year pans out. We have alot of tough matches but if we lose them all and lose in the Confed Cup it will be a disaster. Well I am prepared if we lose. If we lose in 2014 I will be drinking caipirinha heavily and listening to Aquarela do brasil by Jao Gilberto wont return to this forum for a month.

MatthausSammer repped this.