Backpass?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by fairplayforlife, Jun 10, 2017.

1. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel free to delete or direct me to another discussion if this has already been questioned, but I have to agree with the guy here. How is this not a backpass?

I caught this while scrolling through Facebook and don't really know much more beyond this clip.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the referee whistles (you see his hand go to his mouth) before the ball is played back. And Hart nonchalantly plays the ball to his hands, rolls it out to a defender immediately, and then--maybe--the defender just takes the free kick from a spot way back in his defensive third? That's all I've got. Not sure what he foul would be but that's the only good explanation I can come up with. But that's all contingent on him actually whistling.

Short of that, either the referee crew shut down and didn't notice OR they did notice and deemed the violation trifling because there was no attacking pressure and it clearly didn't matter. If they opted for the latter, this forum might blow up in debate!

dadman repped this.
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    What MR said.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Considering the other team didn't go stark raving bonkers I have to think there was a whistle.

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    There did seem to be something in the CC where a Scottish player fell into an English player, so it might have been that...

However, I must point out that the "latter" was advocated by a FIFA referee instructor at a high-level instructors course a couple of years ago, much to the shock and chagrin of most attendees!
    Whether or not this is now actual instruction to FIFA referees, I have no idea.

PH

6. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I didn't watch the game but on an other forum I wist regularly there quite a few people (non-refereeing England fans) expressed surprise that neither a foul nor a backpass was called. And as I can't find any live-text that mentions a foul at that time I have to guess that nothing was called so it looks like they ignored it.

7. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    If the ball was live, it's hard to conceive of a situation more trifling than that.

cinepro repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concentrate on the hand gestures that the defender who receives the ball from the goalkeeper makes. It seems to first be hands up, in the universal sign for "whoa, that wasn't really a backpass, ref!" But then he immediately moves his hand to his ear, almost as if he's straining to hear the referee, presumably either to tell him that "yes, I did whistle so take the free kick" or "no, I didn't, but people clearly thought I did so just keep going."

And then the one Scottish attacker you see right at the end, in the foreground, seems to also look at the referee to say something, too. Maybe questioning if it's a free kick. Maybe questioning the position of the free kick. But seemingly not protesting the lack of a backpass call.

My impression is the referee definitely acknowledged what happened and didn't just miss a backpass. And no one was upset, so no harm done.

9. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Also look at the keeper after he tosses the ball out. He turns his back to the field and casually walks back toward the goal. Not something I would expect him to do if the ball was in play.

But, if it was a free kick for England, it wasn't taken from anywhere near the correct position...

jayhonk and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  10. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Honestly, if an attacker isn't within 50 yards, at the level of game I ref I'm not calling it.