Back home now - thoughts

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by whiskerxx, Jun 30, 2010.

1. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Got back today.
    I'm tired when I'm writing this, but my views are:

Good

Weather, hot in the daytime, cool at night but nowhere near as cold as we were led to believe it would be
    Taxi drivers. Lots of them and all very helpful. Not too sure about the safety of the vehicles though!
    All local airlines were on time
    Food generally
    Most people were very nice
    Didn’t ever feel threatened inspite of the hype.
    Durban stadium
    Kruger was pretty good, as was Table Mountain
    A couple of outstanding B&B’s which were really world class
    Restaurant staff generally
    The fantastic togetherness shown by the New Zealand team, management and supporters. They exemplified the true spirit of the World Cup. I was lucky enough to be in Nelspruit to see them draw with the Italians. It is not an exaggeration to say that I was in awe. I stayed for an extra half an hour after the game to watch their joint celebrations. Probably the highlight of the whole thing for me. If there are any kiwis on here – I salute you!

Bad

Virgin Atlantic – plane late, bags mislaid. They suck!
    Cape Town stadium. Temporary seating and portacabins inside! C’mon, it’s a joke!
    Queues for beer.
    Stadium catering was appalling, inside and out. Mainly due to the FIFA sanitisation of local traders. The whole eating/drinking experience at stadia was nowhere near as good as Germany and Japan
    Vuvuzelas – stupid, pointless, irritating, stripped away any kind of banter and rivalry.
    Being ripped off by dingy, tired b&b’s purporting to be boutique hotels. Bargain bucket more like.
    FIFA – just entirely incompetent at most things.
    Distance between stadia and lack of transport options
    The cost.
    Simply not enough supporters from overseas around

The overpaid prima donnas of the England team who played with abject mediocrity and were a total embarrassment to every English person alive and dead!! Public flogging should be compulsory.

On balance I enjoyed my time, but doubt I would visit again.
    For a World Cup it unfortunately doesn’t begin to compare with Germany.
    Much of the fault lies with FIFA. It now seems ludicrous that the southern hemisphere get it again in 2014.
    It cost me an extortionate amount of money, but the good thing is that it has already helped me determine that I won’t be going to Brazil in 2014, so that will save me a fortune!

On balance, if you decided not to travel I think you did the right thing.

1 person likes this.
  2. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hi - good post?

Why wouldn't you visit South Africa again?

Did you watch a game in Cape Town as well?

3. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    I saw a couple of games at the partly finished stadium in cape town.

There aren't any sufficiently strong negatives to make me avoid visiting again, just not enough pulling points to make me want to do it.
    If I go on holiday somewhere I guess I'd rather visit places without the high perimeter walls and electric fencing.
    The social imbalance is also truly appalling. I doubt any of the thousands of rand I spent will help improve the education and facilities for those living in townships.

4. nigelb

nigelb New Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Good:
    Cape Town (Great party town)
    Spanish/ Argentina / Netherlands / Brazil fans
    Local African hospitality
    Last minute SA domestic flights. (why did I book any flights early...)
    Hunters Dry :)

Bad
    Joburg, what a sorry sight for all the tourists.
    Nelspruit accomodation. Who needs heating in -5 degree evenings....
    Cape town illegal taxi's. Fare Meter's that double as a stopwatch...

5. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nope - most of your money has lined Fifa's coffers. Hosting an event like the world cup should inspire all South Africans (and Africans in general) to believe they deserve a place in the world and start working towards uplifting themselves. Even after more than 10 years of being a democracy there are still people just waiting for the world to give them a handout - the rest of Africa is no different.
    You guys are lucky that you don't have to live with high perimeter walls, vast social imbalances and people hosting a huge event like this who cannot even afford to actually go and watch. Hope at least your visit has highlighted what your own life and lifestyle means to you and also that the rest of the world is NOT like Europe/USA.

6. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm sure the Southern hemisphere population, will have been saying the exact same thing for years....Imagine a South African/Brazillian having to go watch a world cup in a country in the Northern hemisphere that has a currency many times stronger than their own.

And it shouldn't be expected to either. Else they may as well have held it in Germany again. People should keep perspective that this is a first time host in a third world country...Brazil will surely host it better than they did last time...I'm sure SA will be able to host any other events much better in the future...I think its good that the WC is forcing development in countries that needs development, and not just countries like Germany. Thankfully there are also many people who will return to this country, knowing that it is not as bad as they once expected.

7. GalaxyStar

GalaxyStar New Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    First off, excellent thread idea.

I'm still here and I haven't missed home but I suspect when I get back I may feel differently.

The Good points I know I will be thinking of so far will be:

Black label Beer
    Black label Whisky
    Gorgeous Cape Town and Durban girls
    Cheap food and Alcohol
    The insanely warm nature of most of the people
    The hospitality Ive been shown (Invited round to dinner and Brai's every other day)
    The relatively warm and sunny winter
    Not as bad (crime-wise) as people and the media incessantly warned.

Bad:

Poor transport options
    Lack of visible policing in areas other than stadiums and fanparks
    Shops closing early and not opening on weekends

Thats it for now.

8. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Yikes - where are YOU staying? The shops in JHB and Pta stay open till 5 on Saturdays and Sundays - maybe you aren't looking in the right places?

9. GalaxyStar

GalaxyStar New Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    5 o'clock is early, there are one or two shops open around here til 5 on Saturdays but still, if I want food or a drink in the evenings I have to go to a bar or walk to a gas station which makes me spend a lot more money than I'd like to.

Back at home, most stores don't close until 8/9, and there's also quite a few 24/7 stores.

10. BoughtMyPoints

BoughtMyPoints New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Great that some people are taking the time to give us their reports.

My experience has been limited to the Cape, matches in Cape Town and Port Elizabeth and these experiences may be radically different from elsewhere.

Security

Overall, very good.

The real security lapse at the Cape Town stadium was not Pavlos Joseph walking into the England dressing room but the fireworks set off by the Algerians in the stands earlier, during the match. The police were right on top of it, even though they were not yet
    handling security at the stadium.

That said, it has taken to the R/16 match, Spain vs Portugal, for the SAPS to fully take over from the inept (striking) stewards and metro police.

Now the stadium should have been operational before the first match, but this is Africa, right?

I have thoroughly enjoyed all 3 matches I have attended in Cape Town.

The first "sell out" was Spain vs Portugal with an announced attendance lower than the fantasy figure of 64,100 co-incidentally given out for 2 previous, under attended matches.

The first match, it was not easy to get food or drink. This week, it was fine and they still had hot dogs available during the second half!

Parking has been very easy (and generally free) close to the Civic Centre transport hub. The remote Park and Rides are best avoided in both C.T. and P.E..

Port Elizabeth has coped due to the small crowds, with only 20,000 actually attending the R/16. Street parking is available right by the stadium, with a very sketchy P&R "system".

P.E. had roving food and drink sales people from the get go (though not beer!). But by the R/16, many of the sales people were out of control, actively demanding "tips" and short changing customers.

The big problem in P.E. is the stadium roof design, only covering the top half of the first tier and the upper tier(s).

Local restaurants in P.E. cannot cope with the additional business, if on a weekend.

Roads, specifically the N1 and N2 have not been particularly busy. Almost no police check points as police have been diverted to the stadium cities.

Crime

Just awful. In my group of 7, 3 have been robbed/defrauded, though without any violence. At the hotels, there are always stories of people having cameras, etc. filched.
    Thankfully, it seems the professionals have taken the month off and it's amateur hour.

FIFA/Match have been the real villains of the piece. They are the ticket touts, demanding ridiculous prices from visiting fans for the knock out stages and going after anyone trying to unload spare tickets.

I think the courts have finally read the resale statute, as it specifically refers to the prohibited selling of tickets "for gain".

Vuvus

It was noticeable at the Spain vs Portugal match that many visitors have learned more advanced technique(s) up north. To see hundreds of vuvus
    being played occasionally in unison to rouse a crowd is an awesome sight and not so displeasing to the ear. What is unconscionable is not being able to hear 500-1000 singing Korean supporters at all, due to the random cacophony, despite being within 50m of their bloc.

11. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    "handouts" - What are you talking about brother?

12. BoughtMyPoints

BoughtMyPoints New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Can I speak for you, Sister Gronum?

South African society runs on "hand outs", a huge percentage of national income is spent on social benefits and patronage. Yes, South Africa is a third world country but with first world aspirations, especially when it comes to givernment largesse!

Instead of job and infrastructure creation, we have consumption.

Whether it be smokes and booze on the day "all pay" when child benefits and old age pensions are distributed, or sleek Audi's being driven by middle level bureaucrats.

The poor whites used to be protected by having access to "reserved" occupations ... the railways, police, prison service, etc., where they were expected to earn their daily crust. Now patronage is on the other side and little work seems to be forthcoming. The 90% who don't benefit from patronage sure wish they could get on the gravy train. The alternative, meaningful employment in the private sector is scarce and pays a fraction and requires real output.

13. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Oh ok. Just never go to Italy then - restaurants in the countryside are closed between 2 and 6, no such thing as a late lunch!
    Spar stays open until 9 or 8 at night., Woolies till about 8, P & pay till 7 - all depends on where you are staying I suppose.

14. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sistah!

Ethiopia, Somalia, any person that wants you to help them without trying to help him/herself in return or do anything to make their piece of world a little bit better. Having kids when you cannot afford it even though contraception is free. Burning down your school when you are not satisfied with the choice of headmaster. Burning train carriages because you are dissatisfied with the service then wondering why it costs more next time to use the train. Not using the opportunities around you to enrich your own life. These are the handouts I am talking about.

15. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Hehe...or Britain...I could not get a normal "late" lunch in the day at a pub lunch place, because they were closed or something - I initially thought they just didnt like foreigners...was apparently normal for Britain. Found that very odd...

16. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Overwhelmingly good experience which will definitely see me return
    Weather-excellent
    People -excellent
    Hosts-excellent
    Service-excellent
    Stadiums-all the new ones I went to were excellent
    Driving-very easy with the assistance of a GPS
    Shopping-very competitive
    A few negatives which were a little irritating(being pedantic)
    Seemed a huge discrepancy between the effectiveness of park and ride plans from city to city.Should have been a single body overseeing the whole box and dice
    With basically all traffic to Rustenburg on a single lane for many many kms, load limits should have been placed to prevent trucks from travelling on that road for the 4 hours before each match there
    More staff for MTN and Vodacom at Airports
    i didn't appreciate being robbed either

17. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes...this is realistically very true. But one has to look at South Africa and understand that it would almost be impossible to build a public transport system for its vast locations. It would cost far more than this country could ever afford. Won't make sense for one person in "mooikloof" to take a tram to "menlyn" for example. The vastness/distances of possible routes would just be impossible to cater to all people in SA - and the locales are just expanding too rapidly all over the place in who knows where. This is why this country cannot do without the minibus taxis, or own personal transport such as owning a car.

18. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    To Rustenburg, toll gates should have either been speeded up, or free on match days on the Platinum highway for sure...the que through that was horendous....Thankfully i took another route on the way back....

19. GalaxyStar

GalaxyStar New Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    But the issue is: Buses, trains and minibus taxis exist and COULD be improved.

When they are, the public transport system will be better than it is at present.

20. African Biohazard

Apr 16, 2010
    Johannesburg
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    Nice comments guys - pretty balanced and which i think accurately sums up S.Africa, a mixture of things. I don't think there's a country in the world quite like this. Glad you all (mostly) had a good time.

21. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    I had a good time, and none of us were robbed!

Most of my disatisfaction is of FIFA's making.
    Empty seats in stadiums! DUH!!
    No opportunity to try some local "street" food or drink close to the stadiums.
    Budweiser! I felt so sorry for the poor staff twisting the tops of bottles at the game in Rustenburg. Their hands must have been raw by the end of the night. Selling out of programmes! No programmes (or rarely) available at the FIFA merchandising counters.

The biggest issue though was the pricing of tickets, accommodation and flights. The whole atmospehere would have taken a massive lift if three or four times as many people had travelled.
    Car hire was good. I used hertz and Europcar!! :eek:

22. Adamski

Adamski New Member

Barnet FC
    Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Ok...Can I play?

Good:

Pretty much everything..

The people I met..locals & fans from other countries

Doing 6 Games in 7 full days.

The Electric Blanket in my B&B.

Being able to wander round Joburg on my own without any problems.

Steaks

The Apartheid Musuem in Joburg.

Soccer City.

Bad:

People over the age of three who think Mexican Waves are a good thing.

FIFA.... Match ..and the "Man"

FIFA's attempt at "beer" at 30 Rand in the Stadiums...

People whinging that it was better in Germany. Surely rather missing the point of this world cup.

The whining "about" ..rather than "from" Vuvuzelas. Personally I prefer
    singing / chanting and good old fashioned abuse ..but if people want to blow a horn..good luck to them. If you need earplugs you might as well get some slippers and a blanket for your knees. (Actually for some games...I wouldn't have minded a blanket...)

The "fans" in front of me at Arg v Sth Korea ..who rather than watching Messrs Messi & Tevez decided to stand up and photograph themselves for the whole of the first half. They were travelling overseas fans so presumably not at their first game of football..

23. Adamski

Adamski New Member

Barnet FC
    Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Ok...Can I play?

Good:

Pretty much everything..

The people I met..locals & fans from other countries

Doing 6 Games in 7 full days.

The Electric Blanket in my B&B.

Being able to wander round Joburg on my own without any problems.

Steaks

The Apartheid Musuem in Joburg.

Soccer City.

Bad:

People over the age of three who think Mexican Waves are a good thing.

FIFA.... Match ..and the "Man"

FIFA's attempt at "beer" at 30 Rand in the Stadiums...

People whinging that it was better in Germany. Surely rather missing the point of this world cup.

The whining "about" ..rather than "from" Vuvuzelas. Personally I prefer
    signing / chanting and good old fashioned abuse ..but if people want to blow a horn..good luck to them. If you need earplugs you might as well get some slippers and a blanket for your knees. (Actually for some games...I wouldn't have minded a blanket...)

The "fans" in front of me at Arg v Sth Korea ..who rather than watching Messrs Messi & Tevez decided to stand up and photograph themselves for the whole of the first half. They were travelling overseas fans so presumably not at their first game of football..

24. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    What was the point of the World Cup?
    I do hope you aren't going to spit out some political diatribe?
    The point of the world cup is surely to celebrate the great game and witness the coming together of the greatest talent in the world and then for people around the world to enjoy the occasion.
    My criticism of FIFA is that the choice of South Africa as a venue severly limited the amount of travelling support and as a result, in my opinion it has not succeeded in the same way as Germany did.

I certainly didn't need earplugs at any game. The vuvuzelas just seem pointless, but worse still.......just boring and monotonous.

You are however, absolutely right about the steaks!! They should have been on my list too!

25. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    Yep it has highlighted that.
    But its not the people with high walls I feel sorry for, its the people with no walls at all.
    I certainly formed an impression that not only is life very different when comparing Europe to South Africa, but also when comparing South Africa to the rest of the continent.
    I can only hope and pray that there is sufficient good will and momentum to make change happen.
    I sincerely hope that South Africa does benefit from being a World Cup venue, but I do have a concern that the money spent on stadiums would have been better spent elsewhere.