Back for Year 2 + Tips for Playing vs Bigger/More Physical Opponents?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by MonagHusker, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Neko975

Neko975 Member

Red Star
    Serbia
    Jul 4, 2018
    Thank you, I do appreciate your advice.
    Social circle is there, outsiders have to work their way in. I am wondering if I should have had him play his age and dominate or have him grind versus older kids.
    Just to make it clear, he played most of those kids previous seasons and won most of those games.

2. StrikerMom

StrikerMom Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Hard to say because every coach is different. You'll have another growth spurt, but you probably won't be tall. Let's be real - there are not really a lot of really good attacking midfielders in general and a lot don't have any speed. And does height really matter in that position? So if you are as good as you say do your homework and get on the best team you can when you get to the US, get good grades, go to the gym, be the hardest working kid on the team and go from there. Let's us know in a few years where you're playing in college.

3. StrikerMom

StrikerMom Member

Sep 25, 2014
    If I understand your boy is U12 playing DAU13. There is a BIG difference in kids between 12 and 13 so that's good he can hold his own against older boys.

You are saying MLS DA is a slower pace than what he was playing before? Maybe because they are playing more thoughtful and organised football and not just running around pressing, kick and chase football. They went to semi-finals in state cup so they must be a good enough team.

Your biggest worry should be is he getting game time. Goals at this age mean absolutely nothing. An U13 GK cannot possibly defend the goal like a U18 GK. I find it hard to see if my child is improving week by week so if it's a good coach you just have to trust the process.

It also seems that coaches see him more of a defender because you said he's played CB and DM, but you think he is a better attacker than defender?

Why? Because he is not scoring goals as a DM?

He's not the star of the new team. So although he plays an important role a lot of kids can't handle not being the best on the team. They don't really love the game, they only play because they love the feeling of thinking they were the best. Not saying this is your kid, but if he doesn't get as much satisfaction from shutting down star strikers on the opposing team as scoring than it's something you all need to think about.

4. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Neko975, sorry, I misunderstood. Sounds like you have a plan.

5. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very similar to my U11 son's situation, but he's predominantly played a holding mid type roll. At 7v7 he could and did get up the field providing more offensive support. At 9v9 he's coached to stay back more and doesn't like it as much. He takes true joy in making good assists, even more so than goals.

6. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    From my observation, it is more often for CM in 9v9 to make hockey assists than assists on goals.