Back for Year 2 + Tips for Playing vs Bigger/More Physical Opponents?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by MonagHusker, Jun 28, 2018.

1. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like my U12 daughter made the same club/select/competitive (never sure what is the right term, so will just say club) again. Without rehashing too much, the club is fairly new and sort of in-between the rec environment and larger clubs. It's the right price for us, they get state league experience in a more competitive way.

Being new and not at the same level as other clubs, it probably doesn't have the sheer #s to contend with in tryouts like the bigger clubs. As a result, we ended up having almost too many U13s and not enough U12s to make a team. We are still awaiting final team formations, but it appears they are going to field two U13 teams.

This is similar to last season -- not enough U11s, so my daughter made the U12 team. It's not necessarily new as the rec league she also plays on doesn't have a U11 or U13 division (after U10 it goes to U12 and then U14 ). The thing is, we had a chance to watch some U13 games last season and you really started to see much bigger girls and the play was significantly more physical.

My daughter has always been one of, if not the smallest players on the team. Size isn't everything, and I've seen plenty of small kids wreak havoc (the younger boy teams in her same club regularly beat us in scrimmages with smaller players). That said, I would love any tips/advice on dealing with bigger, physical and/or aggressive opponents. I think the physical part is probably the bigger issue.

Thanks as always for any comments/responses!

2. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well you cant make her grow and chances are at 11 she's not going to participate in strength training so you need to focus on what you can control and that is her technical ability. I'd have her work on that outside of the standard practices with focus on dribbling into space and getting away from opponents, first touch away from pressure etc....Players cant be physical with her if she can avoid them.

MonagHusker and bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the above advice. Other than that--just be patient, let her learn from the experience, and let time and puberty sort it all out.

MonagHusker repped this.
  4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Size starts to really come into play at the older ages (u14) and highest levels - ECNL and DA. I've seen many centers who lack touch on the ball but are just fast and big! They are just a wall in many cases.

5. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    You'll see a lot of size disparity in the next year or two. One advantage my "smaller" DD has is she's not afraid to mix it up with larger girls. I think that came about because she was going up against boys in when she played U8/U9, and occasionally plays with DS (who's tall).

But you will see plenty of girls where your DD probably doesn't come up to their shoulders. I agree work with her on technical skills. Have her try to get the ball from you.

FWIW, the way I treat it, a "club" refers to a select/competitive (those two terms basically interchangeable) organization that has multiple "teams" (sorted by age, gender, playing ability). So I would say your DD made the "team" (ie: Sockers U12 Blue).

MonagHusker repped this.
  6. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Really work on the less dominate foot (side) for dribbling, turns, passing and shooting. Game will open up for her.

MonagHusker repped this.
  7. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the suggestions! I do think she has come a long way with her foot skills and could see this as being something that can help. She is pretty quick, which may help as well.

8. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I will say that she has some experience playing her older brother (15 years old). He doesn't play soccer, but is athletic, big, and competitive enough to make it more than a challenge. He also loves to trash talk, which she hasn't experience in a game...so far :)

9. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the making the "team" comment. It makes sense.

I know she isn't afraid to play against bigger opposition as she has always been smaller. She is more reluctant to be physical or can be knocked off a little bit when someone is physical with her.

10. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! I can say that she has put a lot of focus on her left foot the last year. She isn't one to talk much about anything that happens in practice/games, so not a lot of post-match analysis is had. That said, two of her more proud achievements Spring 2018 season were left footed crosses -- neither resulted in a score, but looked like they were right about where they needed to be/narrowly missed. I think it surprised some that she was able to do it.

11. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    To help against bigger faster players I would encourage the habit of head checking. When you don't have the ball take quick glances behind you in either direction to get ideas of what is around. So when you do get the ball you have an idea of where people are around you and will have an escape plan and plan for your next play. It is a difficult habit but well worth it.

12. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, have her watch videos of Iniesta or Fabregas. Both are very adept at this technique.

13. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Core strength is vital in playing with bigger, stronger players...strong hips and core will allow for a better base.

A lower center of gravity should help in all but headers.

Agree on one thing, you can’t make girls be aggressive...let them grow into their competitiveness and develop their mentality towards physicality. They either have it or they don’t and if you try to force it, in those early teen years, you may push them away.

That advice was given to me from a dad with two soccer players and I employed it with my daughters with success. Now, sons are different and you can be a little more direct with the need to get nasty.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. SoccerDaddyO

SoccerDaddyO New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    I assume that your daughter is switching from 9v9 to the big field as well (11v11). Unfortunately size (and speed) matter here more than before. However, what level the team she is on matters too. Typically the lower level teams will have some smaller slower players. It is sometimes the reason why the player can't play as well at the higher levels. My daughter plays in the NPL and like most of the girls on her team they are big, fast, and strong. The difference between her team and the teams below it is not just technique, but size and speed. So if your daughter is on a Select team it may not be a big deal.

Next, if your daughter is fast and small she can use speed and technique to help overcome size and strength. Further, how strong she is does matter but how physical she is willing to be against stronger players matters just as much. If she's not willing to mix it up she'll have a hard time winning the ball.

You can teach physicality but it takes time to develop. When my daughter went to play in the NPL she was big and fast, but not physical. She had the ability to be physical, but did not know how. It really wasn't in her nature either. By the end of that year she had become physical, through the help of playing with bigger stronger girls, and also having a coach that emphasized it.

Honestly though I would talk to the coach about it if you are concerned, and they will tell you if they are concerned. If they are concerned they should be able to help. If they're concerned then you shouldn't be either.

15. RealChicago

RealChicago Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    I'd emphasize technical skills, too often American soccer relies on conditioning and physicality .You see how far that's gotten us? At this young of an age (my daughter is 9 and small) I'd work on getting her comfortable on the ball and dribbling in tights spaces. Dribble, dribble dribble. You can't do enough of it at a young age. Soccer here views the ball as something you run with just an object on the field. It should be a part of you on the field, part of your movements etc . I wouldn't worry about size or physicality yet .just my 2 cents

16. Neko975

Neko975 Member

Red Star
    Serbia
    Jul 4, 2018
    I am not a big fan of playing up, unless your kid dominates competition at her age and there is no challenge at all playing at her age group. I believe that kids should focus on technique untill they are 14. After that, they can still improve their technique but at slower rate. It is easier for them to demonstrate and enjoy newly-learned, practiced skills against kids their age and abilities then against bigger, stronger and faster kids. I might be wrong, this is only my view.
    Problem is, I have a kid that is stuck playing 06 and he is 07. He got on older team when there was nothing younger than u8 and we got stuck with that. I keep thinking if he should stay at that age or move to 07. He is solid Player at 06, made Fire academy team for that age but I am not sure we made a right decision

17. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Agree that a small percentage benefit from playing up.

When one of ours was young the topic came up...we happened to have access to an “A” license coach and asked them.

Their input was that playing up can change the player...they may go from being a leader with confidence and license to innovate to a player in a role with less time on the ball.

That isn’t all bad, if done at the right age...that same player stayed age appropriate but ended up changing clubs as they progressed...went from best player on one team to one of the top players on a better team before moving to be one of the top 11 on an outstanding team. But, that was after they had developed their confidence and personality...they went to the new teams confident in their ability and assimilated while being additive. They eventually went MLS DA and then Division 1.

It takes nerve to play at the highest levels and sometimes that nerve comes from the inherent confidence that the player, not the parent, KNOWS they are good enough to succeed on any field.

If knowledgeable people think playing up is the best avenue then that may work out. If the player is one month from being that age up it could make more sense than if they are one month from the year down.

Don’t force anything would be one last comment...people with less skin in the game can tell if your player should be seeking greener fields. If no impartial observers think the player should move it is unlikely they are all wrong.

18. Ian Larsen

Ian Larsen New Member

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Sep 30, 2018
    So Im in the philippines right now but was born in the U.S and moved here when I was 8. Im in the 9th grade and will be going to do 10th back in the 10th. I play attacking midfielder and i think i have amazing footwork,ball control, passing, everything. The problem is im only like 5'4 and i dont know how much more ill grow since my parents were pretty short. (dad is like 5'5/6) Do you think ill have a chance at playing at a high level even if im short? Would a coach pick a taller,bigger player with less skills over me in the midfield? Or should i try to be open and try out winger or striker? I have amazing sprint speed i know that... But my dream is to make it to college soccer and even pro if possible. Thanks

19. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    US college soccer puts way too much stock in height and muscles. So, that is not a great sign.

There are D1 players your height who succeed but you’ll need to be tough as nails and win more than your half of 50/50 balls.

D2, D3, you can play at that height.

Good luck!!

20. Neko975

Neko975 Member

Red Star
    Serbia
    Jul 4, 2018
    At the begining of this season we had few choices. Stay in our local club, plays both u12 and 13 at the highest club level after DA and ECNL,
    Play for ECNL team that is just as strong as our local DA teams if not stronger and play for u13 and u12 or go to MLS DA team u13.
    We made a decision to go to MLS DA team and maybe we made a mistake.
    Reason for picking them is that I felt that he was geting tired playing for two age groups. I felt that he was laboring and not having much fun.
    Group of players that he is with now is really god. Most of them played together last year. He is not performing on the level he did before, it feels that he is playing slower than before.
    I thought that he will enjoy competing against the best but it does not look like he is inspired to put some extra work by himself. Stupid Fortnite does not help either! When they travel, whole team is playing it on their phones. This is the first time that I ever put any restriction on their (I got 16 year old too) electronics use.
    He mimics his brother, he was great player when both of them were spending hours playing against each other. Since older boy went to HS they do not play anymore. I do not know how to bring fun back to his soccer game.
    He was the victim of team needs. Best player in his team, they always put him at the CB on the small fields at the early age. He would rack a lot of assists but also score plenty of goals since fields were small. Fields got bigger and they got him at holding mid. That meant a lot of running and working without many chances to score. It was still OK at 7vs7 he would still find the back of the net. He enjoys making assists, he would try to make even the weakest player in his team score a goal or two in the season. Trying to help others he lost his own fun. Last season he had only one goal for 06 and 07 playing outside. That is a lot of games since they played two leagues for 06 and went to semi-finals in State Cup. His 07 team played only one league.
    It is still early in the season, but, I have a feeling that I lost my great player I once had

21. Ian Larsen

Ian Larsen New Member

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Sep 30, 2018
    Im sorry i meant ill be going to do 10th grade back in the US.*

22. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    I don't know ... when I watch some random higher level youth game, I always notice the little player. Wow, that kid's tiny! Maybe he's playing up. He must be pretty skilled and fast to have made this team. That's what I'd be thinking. I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Research what clubs to play for first. Do they have a history of placing players on college teams? When you're in the states, find the teams that you want to play for and go try out and see how you stack up. Better yet, contact them ... see if you can get invited to a practice. Every club is looking for top end players.

StrikerMom repped this.
  23. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    If nothing else changed but he was scoring a lot of goals, would you feel any different? Does he want to play on the team? Maybe take a step back next season and try a different league.

StrikerMom repped this.
  24. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    There is an adjustment to moving to a new team and more so when it is MLS DA. Stick with it, it is a long year and the bonds will grow.

Tell them they will improve more in the year than the existing boys will and who knows when they will catch them.

Our experience was a MLS DA team is a bit of a clique and the player had to work to break into the social circle.

Even if your player is better they won’t get a ton of time early....coach will play the experienced kids. But they will get their chances and have the opportunity to win a job.

The player is getting better every day, whether they see it or not. The comment about speed of play is identical to what we heard...the pace of DA play is so fast that it makes the new one feel slow. Our player was very fast, very quick and known for playing very fast but when they hit DA it got harder fast and they were doing more thinking than usual. The old tricks didn’t work, you couldn’t beat anyone because they were slow, and the impression they had was that they were playing slower.

In a sense, they were. They were thinking more, observing more and learning new tactics versus relying on the old.

After a bit it changes and they acclimated to the pace.

So, from a parent that had been in the same place, keep at it...keep working on the field, in the locker room and on the bus to win their respect and friendship.

There is no room for self pity and no mercy if you pout and don’t play well.

The experience will serve them well in and out of soccer.

Neko975 repped this.
  25. Neko975

Neko975 Member

Red Star
    Serbia
    Jul 4, 2018
    It is not about me...
    I am the one that emphasizes importance of team play and assists. Contrary to most of the parents I do not value his game dependent on how many goals he scored.
    If you take a look at game report cards or league leadership boards that is ALL they emphasize.
    There are no assists leaders, only goals.
    Kids he played with last season started bragging about goals. Maybe that is the reason he does not have fun?
    I will wait till winter break and we will make a decision.