Back at the Big Boy Table: A Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by speker, Aug 23, 2017.

1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boring draw - wanted a team outside the country.

Well we’ve shown we can beat Citeh. Tough to have the second leg away of course.

2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City is one of the teams I don't mind having the first leg at home. They haven't won at Anfield in about 30 years or something and Pep has only won 5 of 23 away games in the knockout rounds of the CL. They have a history of shitting the bed there this is going to be even bigger. No chance Sterling plays, which might be a problem for us, but chances are we head into second leg with a lead which forces them to open up in the second. We've shown we can win at their ground, so nothing to fear really.

Interesting that both teams have the derby at the weekend between games. I suspect the local rivals may have an advantage in those games.

bayern is god repped this.
  3. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    I frankly dont understand why people are calling this the worst possible draw...We Avoided Real/Barca/Bayern and arguably Juventus and end up playing a great team,Yes!!! - but they are novices at this stage in Europe and dont possess the nous and acumen at the business end of the CL which the triumvirate of Barca/Bayern/Real have in abundance...Having the second leg away is funnily preferred by most teams nowadays(away goals),and we'll score plenty at City you can be rest assured...All in all I think we have a Massive Chance and City are no European Behemoths just yet and We can more than go toe to toe with them

Fussballer and Navieko repped this.
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    terrible draw. I'd feel a lot better if we were at home for second leg. but so be it ..... we've had their measure better than any other PL team so we need to do it again. biggest concern is if we get any key-player injuries in the next few weeks, they can replace starters a hell of a lot better than we can.

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope we tell our players to take it easy on the international break

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    damn right. at least Woy Effing Hodgson isn't around the England team to eff up our players like he did with Sturridge.

7. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing a team you play all the time at this stage of CL is just a bit underwhelming more than anything else. Fans don’t get a good trip and you don’t get to see how you match up against teams in other leagues.

8. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    The Semis at the Camp Nou and the Final at Kiev should give the Fans plenty to celebrate about;):p...I see where your coming from man but all im worried about right now is our best chance of progressing and i will take City over Barca/Bayern/Real 10 times out of 10..Thank God Kloppo knows to beat Guardiola.

9. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally agree, but it seems City is on the level of those teams this year, if not a bit better, so while there are reason to be positive about about chances of going through against them, there isn't a massive difference in our chances against any of City/RM/Barca/Bayern. We can beat any of them, but none of them would be easy.

Perhaps worst is a bad term to use.

To get one of the 4 toughest teams AND a shitty trip AND home leg first equals "least desirable" draw.

10. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    538 doesn't hate our chances.

2.JPG

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    what a week ....
    April 4 - Man City (H)
    April 8 - Everton (A)
    April 10 - Man City (A)

bloody hell ..... I thought the Everton game was on the Saturday not Sunday. we should try to move it.

speker repped this.
  12. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11640F6B-96A2-4253-9103-AF54DA6F7DDA.jpeg For a laugh as we debate the draw

usscouse, el-capitano, oikos and 4 others repped this.
  13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That was my take as well. I think we could have surprised one of the European teams. City already know how good we are and Pep will have a plan.

With that said, we have done very well against them in recent years. City won’t be celebrating this draw either. It’s definitely going to be must see TV.

speker repped this.
  14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the general discussion says there will be an attempt to move it. Apparently the 7:30am E slot is available on that Saturday April 7.

15. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Could have been better. Could have been worse. Agree would have been more fun to play a foreign side. We have a new CB and a new keeper with a man-bun so maybe that can shade it. Either way it's great fun to be in the last 8 so let's enjoy it and have a go.

CB-West, bayern is god and imasyko repped this.
  16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton game has been moved to Saturday.

Fussballer, dcc134, ryered and 1 other person repped this.
  17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know if my heart is ready for that. Gonna be fun though.

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that would make a lot of sense but Everton wouldn't be interested in cooperating would they.

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    not according to the official site or the bbc. where you seeing this?

20. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yup get as many of the dirty Engerlish out of there so our elite Yooropeen teams can contest the semis and final. No fix in whatsoever of course.

Wingtips1 and liverbird repped this.
  21. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have no choice and the Echo is reporting the move

22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Joyce

dcc134 repped this.
  23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I see it as a 50-50 game. Definitely not easy and of the big 4 I would have preferred Real Madrid, but maybe we'll make that semi!

Sure it would have been nice to have been handed the soft option, but such is life....
    There are no surprises for us with Man City at least ....

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why does everyone keep putting Real Madrid in the same frame of reference as Bayern and Barcelona?
    They are not!!

25. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they have won 3 of the last 4 and just eased past PSG. They've had an interesting season so far, but appear to be rounding in to form and the CL is pretty much all they need to worry about.