Babylon Berlin

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by White/Blue_since1860, Oct 13, 2017.

1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Babylon Berlin starting today. The city of sin during the 20ies Weimar Republic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My German is pretty good, and my DVR has them all. However, I had hoped for English subtitles with it, but the option isn’t available on my cable box. [emoji20]

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  5. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Late 20's early 30's Berlin. And yet not a single Nazi appears in the show :D

6. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are two more seasons to come...

7. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 4 episodes in and I absolutely love this show so far. One of the things I love are the little touches-- seeing how seafood was stored for preparation in swanky restaurants in 1929, for example.

8. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Woo Hoo the Nazis make an appearance at last.

9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I didnt realize it until I watched an interview with the three directors but they did in fact hire the whole cast down to the littliest extra after providing typical "faces" for time.

"People just looked different back then. They had different, untypical face forms compared to today."

10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [possible spoilers]

I was wondering the other day if international viewers can recognize the difference in dialects, accents and sociolects.

-- Rath for instance is from Cologne but speaks standard high German. He comes from a rich family and his father spoke standard German too. Unlike the pharmacy owner who speaks broad Cologne dialect.
    -- Charlotte is working class and speaks broad Berlin dialect like most "normal" people. His partner Bruno at the police somehow made it to a decent job but certainly by his dialect is from poor decent.
    -- Gustav Benda, the police president, Nyssen and other people from the upper class are not.
    -- Greta is from Stralsund, speaks with a slight Pommeranian accent which almost indistinguishable from high German.
    -- The Russians speak either Russian or German with a slight Russian accent.
    -- The flatmate from the press and the chief pathologist speak with an Austrian dialect.

In a sense, Berlin really was Babylon. The Babylonian confusion of tongues

11. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who speaks no German at all, I'll say that I could notice that Rath speaks in a more formal manner, but I really couldn't have noticed that Charlotte speaks in a more working-class manner. I think I detected that the pathologist spoke differently, also.

And the different accent among the Russian characters was fairly easy to notice-- it was similar in its effect to hearing Russian-accented English.

My wife and I do enjoy the way Bruno pronounces "Köln" -- sometimes we say it to one another just to be goofy.

12. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Khöööln! Such a hard task to say it right. It just doesn’t come naturally to native English speakers.

Hey @White/Blue_since1860 how did we get from Köln and München to Cologne and Munich?

Great observations! I can’t wait to binge this

13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The thing about Charlotte is most evident when she is with her family or Greta. Typical Berlinian dialect turns the German ch into k so that she always refers to herself as "ick" or "icke" just like native English speakers who cant pronounce the ch sound correctly. So she says "Vat ves denn icke?" instead of "Was weiß denn ich?" "What do I know?"
    From the original latin words of ad Munichem(at the monks) and Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (colony of...)

Boandlkramer repped this.
  14. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally finished all the episodes, and all I can say is WOW. It's like some scientists in a lab put together a TV series to cater specifically to my personal tastes.

I have three questions. Well, actually lots, but I'll just choose three.

SPOILERS ahead.

In the flashback to WWI, the final episode reveals that that scene took place on November 14, 1918. The armistice was signed on November 11-- I wasn't aware there was additional fighting on the Western Front after that. This could be my own ignorance and not a problem with the show.

Let's talk about Fritz and Otto. Were they Nazis all along? If so, why did they pretend to be Communists? My guess for this is that they knew a working-class girl like Greta would be more sympathetic to Communism than Nazism. Their motivation to kill Benda was actually anti-Semitic rather than Benda's role in the uprising of May 1.
    Or is the show making the point that young, unscrupulous men like Otto and Fritz were attracted to any and all radical ideologies, and for people like that the distinction between Nazism and Communism wasn't all that great-- they just wanted to say "******** you" to the system?

Finally. In the final episode we see Gereon learning who the psychologist really is. Does this take place at the end of the show, right after the Armenian saves Gereon from getting killed by the lady Communist physician? OR-- is that in fact a flashback to the FIRST time that Gereon was being held captive by the psychologist-- which means that Gereon in fact KNOWS who the mafia boss truly is for the final half of the series? Should we view all of Gereon's actions in the second half of the show in this light?

Anyway. What a wonderful show. I have been telling everyone I know to watch it.

15. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2nd season is out already!?

IMG_8806.JPG

16. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I don't think so. In Germany there was an 8 episode Season 1 and an 8 episode Season 2.

When Netflix brought it to the US they simply declared all 16 episodes to be "Season 1"

17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The third season would be in production already if ARD, the public broadcaster, had already actually broadcasted this series. It was on Sky here but not on free tv (before this fall) so they had to agree without actually ever having emitted a single minute of the show. Thats the joke, it is success worldwide and most of Germans have never actually seen it. ARD then after some time gave the go nonetheless due to the international success.

btw

18. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Next you'll be wanting us to put names of famous people on our foreheads.

19. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    On point 2 this confused me a lot as they befriended the maid before she was a maid.

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    standard German vs Berlin dialect (Charlotte and others)

22. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I prefer Northern Bavarian Dialekt.

23. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That video is really interesting. You can sure hear the differences there!

24. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Taking into account they do this without ARD ever showing it on free tv -and they paid a major share of the initial investment- this is a good sign. This hasnt even been a major thing in Germany itself since SKY Germany has like 250k subscribers.