Babajide (Jide) Ogunbiyi at Hobro

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by footballticks, Mar 21, 2010.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    edcrocker and Testudo repped this.
  2. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Lissandri

Lissandri New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Viborg, Denmark
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Viborg actually won 3-0, but it looks like Jide isn't in his best shape yet after the injury. He played much better before Winter. Hopefully it will be better soon, and that they can survive relegation

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  4. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He should find some suitors at the SuperLiga level, provided he is healthy enough.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. Lissandri

Lissandri New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Viborg, Denmark
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think he's going anywhere and there's good reasons. Viborg said that they will improve the quality of the team even more in the upcoming season in the 2nd best league, more than it was in the Super League. And secondly, the next best division isn't that bad. There's professional teams too and it has become better and better the last years. I watched some MLS lately, and i think that even the 2nd best danish division is better than MLS. A good step would be the dutch league or simply a bigger danish club

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You're entitled to that opinion, but you're absolutely wrong.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, what's sort of budgets/wages are we talking about now?

I assume, somebody in the Super League might think of him as worthy of a ~ $300K (€250,000) wage offer. Do you think he's worth that? Can Viborg match that in NordicBet?

MLS is not the tidiest of leagues but it is very athletic and that's hard to spot while watching streams online. On tactics and individual skills, it can vary.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it to a developing player with ambitions - and a passport - to play abroad.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's quite a statement to announce here of all places.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    As a reader service, I've begun to carefully analyze the MLS/Danish second division issue, starting with the question of how the the New England Revolution would fare against BK Marienlynst. Here are some thoughts I hope will aid this discussion.

Of course Jakob Udesen presents matchup problems for AJ Soares, which puts pressure on Andrew Farrell to contain Jonas Kristiansen on the flank. However, I think Farrell is up to the task based on recent form -- he really outplayed his counterpart Duvall last week, and Duvall is essentially the same player as Marienlynst's Emil La Cour. (In fact, Petke has said he signed Duvall with the explicit goal of replicating what La Cour did with Svendborg a few years back, a story that has been widely covered.)

That said, as we all know Kristiansen's ankle issues since coming over from Fyn might mean they have to go with Salih Kaya instead. In that instance, if I were Jay Heaps I might be tempted to go with Rowe over Nguyen in the starting lineup knowing Rowe's game is tailor-made to exploit some of Kaya's well-known deficiencies marking guys trained in the UCLA system.

In the net, it's hard to say because while Heaps most likely goes with Shuttleworth in a match like this, we don't know whether Marienlynst would go with Munck or Kirk; I suspect must of us here would guess the latter, but Anders Nielsen can be hard to predict as we all well know! Oh, that guy...

Those are some of the more obvious storylines, but I'm happy to get into a few of the more intricate details if anybody is interested.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how much can the league afford to pay? If I remember (american defenders), Goodson was like on 500 K. Califf was around 250-300. Parkhurst was around 200-250. Not sure if euros or dollars. But that's not bad cash especially as the league is pretty decent.

12. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Jide has started 7 games for Viborg so far this season. They are first place in the Danish second division. Probably not good enough for a USMNT call-up.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    FYP.

14. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsi not averse to calling guys at lower levels if the potential is there. No reason to give up trying if it's a goal of his. A call up would've been unsurprising while he was starting regularly and performing well in Superliga, presumably he is still more or less the same player. If he can get back to Superliga, he has a chance to get in the USMNT discussion again, or Nigeria.

keller4president repped this.
  15. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Feilhaber got called up while playing in Danish second division - and deserved to be on the world cup roster in 2014.

16. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Testudo repped this.
  17. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I guess Miguel Ibarra and Jordan Morris are better than him though (cough).

18. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might be..but they play different positions than Bibe. Also, I believe he has said he wants to suit up for Nigeria.

19. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    That's what he says, but Nigeria ain't calling. If Jurgen called him, he'd respond in a heart-beat.

20. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you comparing a central defender to attacking players? If you want to belittle Jide's success in Denmark as an excuse to grind an axe against somebody entirely unrelated to his career, at least try to be half-knowledgeable about the cheap shot you're taking. There are attacking players out there earning their keep in distant corners of eastern Europe who would be more relevant fodder for your witticisms...

Hararea repped this.
  21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    They're now runaway leaders, with Ogunbiyi continuing to start. He and they should be back in the top tier next season.

mike4066 repped this.
  22. Lissandri

Lissandri New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Viborg, Denmark
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As I mentioned. The team is stronger now than last season. Only 11 goals against us in 22 matches and a superior 1 place. Jide became better aswell and is now always in the 11 lineup. He also speaks Danish now, so it helps too. The defense is rock solid :)

23. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States