B1G 2017

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by GopherBob, Aug 22, 2017.

1. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    We used to have a nice Big Ten community here, is anybody left besides the Penn Staters?

Nittany Lions are the clear favorites but Northwestern, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Rutgers and Ohio State should all be strong NCAA contenders.

Anybody else going to join the party? Curious to see how Wisconsin does with life after Lavelle, and that result against Stanford was not pretty.

2. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have a personal interest in Michigan this year...Club teammate of my DD just had a stellar opening week to her year. Michigan looks to be exceptionally better in the early side of the season. Also connected to PennState and Purdue...love to follow the kids you have gotten to know over the years....good luck to all

3. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Thursday night scores:
    Butler 1 Michigan State 0
    Louisville 2 Indiana 0
    Wisconsin 2 Creighton 0
    Washington 2 Illinois 1

Northwestern is in California playing LBSU so that score will come in late.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Gilmoy, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    [Long Beach State-Northwestern] live stream not working for me
    48'40" 1-0 Jessica Vincent to Kaitlin Fregulia
    82'02" 2-0 Tori Bolden to Katie Pingel

FT 2-0.

5. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Tough night for the B1G...some fun power 5 match ups for Friday:

Minnesota vs. Notre Dame in Iowa City
    Iowa State at Iowa
    Penn State at Arkansas
    Michigan at Ole Miss

6. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Rest of the weekend went a bit better for the Big Ten:

Friday
    Minnesota 1, Notre Dame 1
    Maryland 2, Gardner-Webb 1
    Penn State 4, Arkansas 2
    Ole Miss 1, Michigan 1
    Iowa 1, Iowa State 0
    Nebraska 3, South Dakota 0

Saturday
    Ohio State 3, Buffalo 0

Sunday
    Furman 1, Maryland 1
    Minnesota 6, Iowa State 1
    Purdue 6, Indiana State 0
    Rutgers 2 UConn 0
    IU 4 Western Michigan 0
    Notre Dame 2 Iowa 0
    Loyola Marymount 2 Northwestern 2
    Michigan State 3 Samford 2
    Illinois State 2 Illinois 0
    Michigan 1 Toledo 0
    Nebraska 3 Missouri 0
    Wisconsin 2 Northern Illinois 0

The sample size is still too small for a clear picture of what lies ahead, but the conference looks very split between the top half and the bottom half.

Northwestern had a tough trip out west. Just a tough road weekend or a sign that they're due for a step back after last season? Nebraska is rolling early. Minnesota got a result vs. Notre Dame for the first time in school history...not that the Irish are what they were...still a solid draw though.

Some great barometer games for the conference coming up this weekend:
    Wisconsin at Virginia
    Michigan vs. Santa Clara
    Penn State at WVU
    South Carolina vs. Michigan

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 cpthomas, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Good observation about sample size. As odd as it seems, after next weekend's games, the sample size will start to give a decent, though definitely not perfect, picture of what lies ahead (i.e., better than pre-season prognostications).

8. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Sorry I'm so late to the party. Rutgers man here. Our team has compiled a gaudy record with lots of home games against some middlin' teams so far, but this weekend will be the real test. Away games against Northwestern and Illinois should really tell us what we're made of. We'll see....

9. dmthomas49

dmthomas49 Member

Portland Thorns
    Oct 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Barn burner going on between Michigan and Minnesota (watching Gametracker). Minnesota was leading 2-1 with 6 seconds left and Michigan scored. Heading to OT. Shots are Michigan 7, Minn. 32. I thought the 32 was a mistake, but is not. Should be a fun OT!

10. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    That game was basically the Gopher season in nutshell so far...tons of great chances, really entertaining soccer, unfulfilling result.

39 shots?!?! And the first time they've given up 2 goals in over a year.

11. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Minnesota took out their frustrations on Michigan State in a 7-1 victory...their highest goal total in B1G play, ever.

This team is very capable of creating great chances, finishing seems to be feast or famine however...5, 6 and 7 goal games but have also been shut out 3 times.

Next up is Rutgers who gave up their first goal all season yesterday. They've got to be my conference favorite at the moment.

12. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Ohio State beat Penn State 1-0 yesterday.
    It was the 3rd shutout in a row for Devon Kerr, who has 7 shutouts on the year.
    Kerr has only given up 6 goals in 12 matches, and has a 0.5 goals against average.
    Her save % is .860 (86% shots on goal saved).

All they had to do was develop her consistently, and not just platoon her.
    She's a Top 3 goalkeeper in the history of the Big Ten (excluding Penn State & Rutgers).

13. Lexanator5

Lexanator5 Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boilermaker fan here, Really impressed with how they've played this year so far especially given expectations at the start of the year. I have really only seen Purdue play and they look pretty good. I know they've got a much tougher schedule coming up. Anyone have any thoughts on the boilers, in first place through 5 games?

14. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    STANDINGS
    Purdue 4-0-1
    Ohio State 4-1-0
    Rutgers 3-1-1
    Minnesota 3-1-1
    Penn State 3-1-1
    Northwestern 3-2-1
    Michigan 2-1-3
    Wisconsin 2-2-1
    Nebraska 1-1-2
    Maryland 1-3-1
    Indiana 1-3-1
    Michigan State 1-5-0
    Illinois 1-5-0
    Iowa 0-3-1

Big Ten is WIDE OPEN at this point...

I've yet to see Purdue this season but they're obviously the big surprise. Maddy Williams being back this year and in form is a huge help but it looks like they're getting contributions from all over the field.

Minnesota scored two goals on Casey Murphy and Rutgers (who had given up 1 all season) on Friday to steal the win in New Jersey. The Gophers are playing some great soccer.

Penn State still has the most talent in the league, but the offense seems to be missing at the moment.

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My weekly simulation's current projection of end-of-regular season standings:

Rutgers 28
    OhioState 27
    Purdue 25
    NorthwesternU 23
    PennState 23
    WisconsinU 21
    MinnesotaU 19
    MichiganU 15
    MarylandU 11
    IndianaU 8
    NebraskaU 7
    IowaU 4
    IllinoisU 3
    MichiganState 3

jackiesdad repped this.
  16. Lexanator5

Lexanator5 Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purdue was absolutely robbed tonight against Nebraska, after a HORRIBLE offsides call in overtime Nebraska came back to score the game winner. I have no Idea what the official was thinking when they raised that flag

17. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Wow---though the TV angle isn't good, it does look like a terrible call.

18. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The girl who finished was at the penalty spot when the ball was played Yikes If that result pushes Purdue out of the tournament that would be a full blown tragedy

19. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the instant of the fk, everybody's onside.
    At the instant of the header, Purdue #3(?) is in an offside position, right up against Nebraska's GK, possibly screening her, and surely impeding her from rushing toward the ball. (The goalscorer is still 8m off, waaaay behind the ball.)

As it happened, the ball bounced completely over #3 (and the GK), so neither of them could play it. But if the AR deemed that #3 was distracting or impeding the GK, that's a callable infraction.

It happened to MNT vs. Italy in WC'2006 :(
    It looked for a moment like the U.S. stunned Italy with a 65th minute goal by second-half substitution DaMarcus Beasley, but McBride was flagged for screening the goalkeeper while in an offside position.

20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Gilmoy. I looked at the video, and the Purdue player next to the keeper was involved in and affected the play. I feel for Purdue, though, it was a brutal ending.

21. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I, too, looked at the video many times. If I were a Purdue fan I would probably make the claim that, although offsides, #3 did not impact the play directly or impede the goalie. The goalie was in a place to stop the first shot. That shot was flubbed and it took a bounce over her head (she made an unimpeded attempt to stop that 'shot' and missed it). #3 did kind of stick her arm out when both she and the goalie turned once it bounced over their heads, but the header was never going to be stopped by the keeper - which may support Purdue's case.

That being said, The AR called offsides (correctly). The head ref was right there, he consulted with the AR and the call to disallow was made so they must have seen things in a way that favored to home team. I am not one to question the judgement of the refs in this particular incident.

The refs did, however, blow a hand ball in the box in the Rutgers / PSU game. Clear handball by the PSU defender that was ignored. I don't have a video to load, but it was as obvious as obvious can be. Both Rutgers and PSU are good squads and should represent the B1G well come tourney time. The freshman forward from Rutgers is good (#17 A.A.) but has to gain the awareness to pass when the direct attack on goal isn't there or when she has 3 defenders on her and has a minimal chance to finish. #6 (A.F.) is also a freshman and is already has a good feel for the game and will get better in the years to come - very good distributor. Both are PDA kids (O'Neill feeder system / pipeline).

Penn State is solid all around, as usual.

Watched a bit of the NW - Minnesota game as well. Northwestern just plays a solid, fundamental game. Not a lot of flash, but rarely out of a game.

22. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I watched some of the Northwestern vs Minnesota match as well. The Minnesota defending on those two NW goals was horrendous. The one at the 44' mark, in particular, was really bad. There was a total breakdown in communication. I'm not sure what error was the bigger lapse - the central defender not clearing the ball and allowing the attacker to get around her or the keeper not coming off of her line to, at the very least, take away the angle of the attacker or, at best, corral the ball. Just awful.

NW's keeper, Lauren Clem, is very solid and came up with some good saves. NW is really dangerous on set pieces.

Here are the goals:

23. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Tori Burnett is one of the best central defenders in the Big Ten, but she makes one mistake on Northwestern's trampoline turf and you're going to post about how terrible she is anonymously online?

It's also NU, not NW.

24. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree, she's a good defender. I, however, didn't post that she is "terrible." This is what I stated about the defending:

Would you not agree that that is an accurate statement? If not, you watched something different than I did or your Gopher colored lenses allowed you to see the play diffently.

I don't like artificial turf for soccer - period. I'm not sure that Northwestern's turf is "trampoline turf" but any turf is bad. Soccer is meant to be played on grass.

As a Northwestern graduate, I'll call the school what I want to call it. I've interchangeably used NU or NW. I know that NU is "more" correct but I don't need a Gopher to tell me that. Thank you for your concern, though.

25. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Northwestern's field always seems to be faster and bouncier than most fake turf fields. Of course the Big Ten has sent Minnesota, a team based around precision passing and build up, there for four consecutive seasons...but it is what it is.

The Minnesota keeper got burned after coming off her line in the final seconds against Michigan and has been less aggressive since then, that Northwestern goal should teach her the opposite lesson.