[B]US Soccer Flops on US Supporters for Costa Match?[/B]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by zerkdave, Sep 12, 2009.

1. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    Anyone else have a weird feeling coming up for the next 2 games?

Considering the Costa Rica match in DC MIGHT be the most important match in many decades (if ever) for the US team, MLS and USSF (4th place is an ARG death knell), you would think that USSF would pull out all the stops to make sure that we have a rowdy PRO US match in DC. While, no doubt the US will outnumber the Costa supporters, we should have an outright categorical fan advantage.

Not that DC should be treated "speeeecial", but we should consider this as a US match in OUR COUNTRY and do whatever we got to do to make sure that the fan component is there in full force.

I find it utterly unconscionable that USSF can be so myopic to limit the number of supporter tickets issued. To be honest it is a disgrace that these guys over at USSF would risk tens of millions of dollars (yes that is what it would cost if we don't qualify for some damn awful reason), to pull in an extra $100K in ticket sales. Who in their right mind would put take 100K when the risk in taking that cash could cost you tens of millions, heartache and --rightfully so -- your job (insert wall street joke here).

Unconfirmed tidbits include:

--Officials being surprised at the loud fan base for the USOpen cup (duh) -where have you been for the past decade? Obviously not a fan.

--Officials even questioning whether supporters should be offered ticket sections.

--Officials finally agreeing to release a LIMITED/REDUCED number of tickets to supporters groups. WHAT?!?!?!?! We allow unlimited for CUBA qualifier, but not for the possibly the most important game ever for the US?

Not trying to Michael Moore Muckrake, but this little unconfirmed anecdote has been steaming me for some time. To be honest I am furious....maybe others can correct if I am wrong or rile up further if completely right.

2. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude it's sunil gulati and ussf. He's not a manager or someone who cares more about the game than the attendance money

3. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I think Uruguay or Colombia would be worse. Hell, I wouldn't want to goto Quito either. In any case, that would emerge as a bigger match in the USNMT history. Would create a really high level of intense suspense. I think the US media would go crazy over a two leg affair w/ any of those fore-mentioned South American destinations.

4. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    This is why I'm always curious why we suck on the road, since we play on the road at home half the time anyway.

In a perfect world for the US, RFK will be sold out (regardless of whether there are 50,000 Ticos there) and the US will get the result it needs. History says the USSF is taking a good gamble. And even if we somehow botch the Hex, we'd still have the playoff leg, where maybe the USSF would be more judicious with tickets (and/or location). Given it's the USSF, though, and they could hype the crap out of the importance of that game and drive ticket sales, they'll probably pick the Rose Bowl or something...

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunil needs to go.

6. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be so sure. Being from NC, RFK is my "home stadium" in which to watch the Nats. I've been there when we've played teams like Guatemala and Honduras and been outnumbered. While I'm guessing there are fewer Costa Ricans in the US than Hondurans or Guatemalans, I'm not convinced this will be a home game. If the USSF could see past their arrogance, this could be a game where a home field advantage existed.

7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe RFK has good access to the players for Sunil's kids to get autographs.

8. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we've seen before, Costa Rica doesn't travel quite as well as Honduras, Mexico, etc.

The crowd will be at worse 60/40....what did they get 18,000 in Utah? I think the sad fact is that they can't sell out these stadiums with US fans alone.

9. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they could...just not at $40 bucks/ticket plus Ticketmaster's fees. IMO, someone at the USSF needs to go back and study the economics of supply and demand.

10. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica doesn't "travel as well" because there are far fewer Costa Ricans in the US than the other Central American countries:

More than 5 times as many Guatemalans in the US as Chicos.

Nearly 10 times as many Salvadorans and 3 times as many Hondurans.

1 person likes this.
  11. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    gracias TPS!!!

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ticos, not Chicos.

13. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they're just counting the Ticos chicos. :cool:

14. Michel_Platini

Mar 21, 2005
    War will do that to your country. In the eighties, we supported the Salvadoran government in their civil war. The reason there are so many Salvadorans here is because they fled the death and violence of the civil war, and it was easy for them relative to other nations to emigrate to the US.

Not so much for the Nicaraguans.

The Ticos don't even have an army, they are like the Swiss of Central America.

If you lived in Costa Rica, would you want to move?

15. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the US has issued around 50,000 visas to Ticos since the 1950s. And Ticos are not lining up around the block to come to the US.

There just aren't that many here. That's why I think we should play them in LA sometime. LA never gets quality games, just Scandinavian bench-warmers...

16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Ticos....so i FYP
    THe 2010 census will soon reveal new #s but yeah.....
    and of all Central American nations, they still are last population wise here in the US.....

17. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. My brain was mush after that game last night.

18. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QFI(rony). :)

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep quoting those numbers because I keep hearing places like Utah crow about their great home team crowd when number when they played against CR. Those games just don't compare against games with teams like Honduras or Guatemala. Now, if you were comparing against Jamaica or T&T, I think we could talk. I'm trying to find numbers, but can't.

20. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not worry too much about that..Even census 2000 numbers were at teh time somewhat deceiving as HIspanics had been greatly undercounted ...African Americans too IIRC.... So the 2010 census will bring new numbers and let's hope more accurate ones....

21. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm lying awake at night worrying about those numbers. What makes you think this cycle's numbers will be any more accurate than others? If anything, the last few years' focus on illegal aliens are likely to make less accurate. But, let's not go there lest this thread wants to relocate to politics.

23. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Ticos are going to travel to DC & they are coming in mass numbers straight from Costa Rica. This will be the biggest game of their qualifying lives & they are fully supported by their whole nation. Do not take for granted that this is a US home game, because it will not seem like it... Welcome to Estadio Saprissa del Norte & once again, Thank you Sunil & the rest of the USSF morons! :mad:

24. KZ Man

KZ Man Member

Jun 12, 2006
    NoVa
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm planning to be there, supporting the U.S.!

25. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    What we need is for El Salvador to win its next game and CR to lose or tie its next game so that the Salvadorans turn out to root against CR on 10-14. That would turn RFK into Cuscutlan Norte. That would be something to see (flash back to the DC United games after they traded Diaz Arce). Not likely to happen with ES playing in Mexico City and CR playing at home vs. an eliminated T&T . . .