Aztex v. Charleston 6-5 and 6-7 (R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big road trip for the Battery this weekend. They will take on expansion team the Austin Aztex.

Friday's match is live on FSC at 8pm EST
    Sundays Match is on USLLIVE.com at 7pm EST

The Aztexs have started off well for an expansion team with a 2-2-3 record.

there wins are against Cleveland and PR, Draw against PR, Minn, and Vancouver and losses against Carolina and Montreal (a 4-0 second half implossion)

Statisticaly there most dangerous player is Yordany Alvares Oropeza (#10) with 3 goals and 2 assisst in 6 games.

They also have a couple playesr including Gary speed form England that are waiting on there visas and it has left them a little short handed.

they have scored 9 but let in 9 as well.

The Battery are still undefeated and Im sure would like to keep it that way for some time.

with only two goals given up this year, the D has been solid as a rock. Both the midfield and the offense seem to be improving with each game.

Im concerned with the pitch in Austin, plastic field with tons of lines. But the boys will adapt im sure.

hemming will be available. Armstong is ready but I dont think the staff want to rush him. Antoniuk was supposed to be back this week but it looks like Yoshi might still be a week away unless Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid pulls a healing act on the Street Fighter. I under woodbine started soem light training as well.

As far as Fridays game will be live on FSC and we have a couple view location options. The Madra Rua in North Charleston or D.I.G. on Daniel Island.

DIG is the official away game sponsor for the Battery and I know it would be good to get a good size crowd there Friday night.

Game play I expect the Battery to try and play a defensive game and try and control posession of the game. i dont expect a high scoring affair with the possible ending up as a draw but if Spicer and Paterson play up top, I could see them getting in behind the defense for a couple good chances.

Battery Website pre match
    http://www.charlestonbattery.com/matches_previews.asp?cid=412

2. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm sorta curious as to the scheduling with these guys....why do we play two games on the road to Austin within a 3 day period, yet there's only one return match at home (according to my schedule) on 7/30? I'm assuming that since we'll be so far away from home anyway, may as well stay the weekend and play two. But, why not the same courtesy at our place? Just curious....and thought that some of you might have some insight.

Now on the plus side, the game at home on 7/30 will feature fireworks afterwards, but still...:p

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically teams plays each other three times so either two at home/one away or two away/one at home.

and your correct it is a way to cut travel cost by staying and playing both games on a weekend. fortuantly The Battery seem to have avoided any Friday/Saturday night games this year

another interesting fact is that unlike most other leagues, the USL sits in a room and hashes out the schedule with team reps. im sure there are alot of wheeling and dealing going in that room!

4. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there are no other teams close to them either.

5. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :eek: Sorry...wasn't aware that it was always a three game series. Had I known that pertinent fact, I wouldn't have asked the (in hindsight) stupid question...:eek:...it didn't seem stupid at the time....

But thanks for keeping me straight...

By the way Mikey....did you figure out the BYODT yet? :p

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh yeah Duct Tape!

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tonights match is on www.usllive.com and it is free.

It should be on the radio as well.

With the US Open Cup match on Tuesday, who starts and who comes off early?

Fuller wil be serving a yellow card susupension tonight as well so someone will have to fill his roll.

Dont think Armstrong, antoniuk or Yoshi travelled with the team (they wereent on the sub bench) but not sure I'd put them on that plastic pitch so soon after an injury anyhow.

From what I understand DIG is supposed to be playing the match tonight as well but Im not 100%

I'm not sure I'm going to get to the Madra tonight to hook up a laptop as I have alot going on today (maybe I should get my *** in gear and get going instead of posting here!)

Check back here later and Ill definately let post if im going or not.

some prematch from AustinAztex face Battery on Sunday

The Aztexan blog

Mikey

10. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting Line up:
    Wiggans
    Sanfilippo-Bobo-Akwari-Marples
    Williams-Buete-Hemming-Treshuck
    Heinemann-Antoniuk

11. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-0 at the half, as Austin gets a red card in the first couple of minutes and reduced to 10 men.

12. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOAL by Treshuck off of a rebound from a point blank save by the keeper from Antoniuk's shot.

13. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin scores in 77th minute to tie it up 1-1

14. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Real Salt Lake called and wants their field back.

Good grief...

15. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1 final score

Austin keeper deserved that much for the game he played.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing the line up at he begining of the game I would have thought 1-1 a fair result but playing against 10 men we should have done better.

The Austin keeper was on fire and easily kept the Aztex in the match.

Still undefeated but it is still early in the season and after the Battery imploded at the end of last season, I will take every point we can get.

Andrew said at the begining of his radio show that Woodbine and Yoshi will be ready on Tuesday night. Armstong should be ready for the Sat match against portland.

17. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    Especially since the lone Battery goal came on an obvious handball that only the ref failed to see.

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which we might've actually prevented had some STUPID fan in the stands not blown a whistle, and all the Aztex stopped defending.

19. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friday night's high lights: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxGAULtEaO4"]YouTube - Austin Aztex FC vs. Charleston Battery Highlights - 6-5-09[/ame]

20. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am with Mikey here... all points are crucial. Charleston could have easily come home with 3 points or less but instead came home with 4. A good trip considering the circumstances on what I consider a horrendous pitch for USL football. Goodness.

21. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. We love our home field:rolleyes:. If there were any other option in Austin, you know we'd be there.

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you guys get your own place in the future. You seem to have a pretty good team and a solid supporters group.

mikey

23. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was definitely impressed by the support. Having a place of their own would be great. What are the chances of that coming to fruition?

24. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I turn around, Phil amazes me by doing yet another thing that no-one said could be done.

Latest thing: Copa Aztex.

What's amazing about it? Pretty much everyone were certain that the University of Texas would never let anyone use the soccer/track stadium for anything other than UT events.

At the press conference for Copa Aztex, and hearing Phil talk, it was easy. Easier than he was expecting.

So, what are the chances of the Aztex getting a stadium of their own built? I'd say pretty good, because it's Phil and he has it as one of his goals. No clue what a time frame is, though.

But we're doing what we can to support it.