Aztex SG Meetup

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by VioletCrown, Feb 28, 2008.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, it's been a while, and a couple folks have been calling for another get-together to see if we can firm up this SG.

We'll meet Wed, March 5 at Mother Egan's at 6:00.

I don't usually do happy hour -- they're typically something like 5-7, right? I usually work 9-6, so I'm always get there just when things finish, but I'll shift my schedule for soccer.:)

If people want to get together earlier... then I guess I'll just have to go to work earlier!:)

2. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wish I could have joined you guys, but alas....It´s a bit of a distance from Germany.

3. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great. I've put it on my calendar and should be there. Should we contact the Aztex and maybe they can distribute the info on their mailing list?

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it'd be better to be independent. If The Liquidator bring half the people he brought to the US - Mexico viewing, it'll be a party.

5. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will have previous engagements, but I hope to join up from time to time as schedule permits.

6. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too would love to be there. But I'll be at the Texas Pro Soccer Festival that week. Keep me informed and I will try to make the next one.

James Hope
    Texas Pro Soccer Festival
    http://texasprosoccerfest.com

7. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good, I'll be there! :)

8. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless something comes up at the last minute, count me in.

9. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there. Might be slightly late though.

10. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll try to be there. We should all bring our laptops and post to each other from the bar.

11. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's not why we're meeting, but if ME's has FSC I wouldn't mind rooting for the Jamaicans to kick United's ass in the CCC while we talk out SG issues.

Actually, I don't have anything against DC, but you can be sure I'll be rooting for Municipal at 9, sorry fellow Austinite supporters of the Dynamo, but it's true.

12. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The jealousy is rather unbecoming. :rolleyes:

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you might be a week off. Both Dynamo and DC are in San Antonio for their first games in the Texas Pro Soccer Festival. (there you go, jhope, I just pimped your event;))

Looks like it's Milan - Lazio tomorrow evening.

...maybe we can have another get together next week, and have our first SG Intense Disagreement :) (I'm rooting for both of them, Dynamo less enthusiastically, because the better MLS does in general, the better for US soccer).

14. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. I can't help but be bitter though. I've been waiting for 12 years, though I haven't been an ardent fan all that time. And then you lot come along and get two free passes.

You're right. I'm off by a bit aren't I?

15. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be that much sweeter for ya when it comes. :)

Game is next Wednesday, so I imagine right after San Antonio they'll be leaving for Guatemala.

16. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it was good to meet those of you who came. And though we didn't get anything official accomplished, we did hear that it is supposedly down to two stadiums regarding where the Baby 'Tecs will play this season. Hopefully we will learn soon where, and it will be good.

Word is they are waiting to see where the eagle lands with a snake in its talons, and that will be our stadium.

17. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a crappy MS paint mock-up of an Aztex crest I did, obviously based on Stoke City. That's meant to be quetzalcoatl in under the "austin".

[​IMG]

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hm.

Hm.

Well, other than having to change it to just 'Aztex' instead of 'the Aztecs', it's a start.

How 'bout starting another thread where we can post our ideas?

I'm not going to be able to get to one today. As you can see, I'm just now at lunch at 2:30. Ick.

Regarding the 'SG meeting'... we're planning another get-together again next Wednesday to watch the DC and Houston games. Mother Egan's again, game starts at 7.

And, yeah! Cool to meet/remeet everyone! Now we have realworld names to go along with the BS handles.

19. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was a pleasure to meeting everyone at Mother Egan's last night. Though we couldn't come up with the SG's name, I felt that we made some progress to it.

Like Violet said, we're getting together next Wednesday. In fact we're planning to make Mother Egan's our regular meeting / hang out and perhaps our USL watching party on FSC when the season starts. That way we can study & scout our future opponents (especially Charleston Battery ;) ).

Also there are Aztex tryouts this weekend at St. Edward's. Some of us are planning to attend on one of those days.

20. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having second thoughts about meeting at Mother Egan's Wednesday.

We five are clearly 'with it.' (Which is particularly embarrassing for me, as a musician.)

There's a small event going on starting Wednesday that, while it doesn't have any bands officially booked at ME's, has a tendency to spill over a vast swath of the city. So I called them, and while they aren't officially in That Event That We Forgot (how could we?), they do have bands booked starting at noon and going until well after the cows come home.

So, any other suggestions for our fall-back location? The one place I can think of is Bagpipes. We may have to wrest a TV away from college hoops fans -- but the Big 12 championship doesn't start until Thursday, so at least it won't be Longhorns that we'd have to try and wade trough.

Then again, maybe Northside Rovers would let us crash his place around the corner from Bagpipes.

21. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. On top of SXSW, I now have a cold or something, so I'm going to wimp out on tomorrow night.

22. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly I won't be able to make it as well due to my overloaded work schedule. I only had one day off (yesterday) this week. But at least I have next Sunday & Monday off. Besides I'll be heading to Frisco after work on Saturday.

23. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to attend tonight and get to meet the team, unfortunately I most likely won't be able to. As far as locations to meet, I think anything in Austin is going to have SXSW tied to it. I checked and the Women's team plays at 6:00 on Fox, but I don't know how many bars will be showing that. An option would be to go to Plucker's to watch the game. They've got enough TV's that I think we can snare one. My preference is to use the one on South Lamar by Ben White, but I'm being greedy as I'm in Buda. If no one can make it tonight, maybe we should just plan another get together in the future after SXSW.

24. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cruised by Mother Egan's tonight, but it was parking hell, of course, with SXSW going on. So I headed up Mopac to Bagpipes and saw the first half of the DCU game. It's a bit pricey for pub food, but a nice place, lots of TVs, not that busy, and no problems getting a TV changed to soccer. Seems like it could work as a future backup.

25. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bagpipes is a nice place, but yea the food is pretty pricy. I like the fact that you can watch a game there and not have to fight for an area to stand like Fado's.