Aztex in the media

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by VioletCrown, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess there goes my Westlake theory. House Park would be great, I love the location.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my first thought. But we had old college friends visit this weekend and they have a 7 year old, and their (yes, not just their kid, them as well) normal bed time is 9.

I'll also admit that I'm out of touch with HS sports in general. I've noticed when I drive by House on my way home from work, the soccer games (going on now) start at around 6:30. Which means they're done by 8:30. Does football also start that early?

In which case, as grumpy as I am about this, I'll have to admit that, yes, we're an aberration from the norm at the stadium.

Man, there are SO many barriers to the beautiful game!

(I'm not going to be the one to tell SheDevil about the 'No cowbells' ban!)

3. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I've learned during my time in Austin is that the "neighborhoods" seem to be a barrier to just about everything.

4. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a much bigger background in the story than what the writer included. She painted this that it was lucky the Aztex got this far, when in reality, the Aztex (specifically David Markley) have been tremendous at working both AISD and the HOA. For now, I know that neither the HOA or AISD expect fans to be quiet. They know that there will be cheering, yelling, etc. What they didn't want to have were the vuvuzelas (which I support), to keep the drums down (sorry drum corps) and to have some changes made mostly to the PA infrastructure so that the speakers point more into the stadium that up (makes total sense to me).

At the end of the day, I think that all of the items that we look forward to in the environment will stay, and the things we've not liked as much will either be gone, or significantly reduced. All is still "unofficial" until the AISD Board votes at the end of the month to approve the contract.

5. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man we should go down to that meeting with our cowbells, our horns and our drums and show that school board that we know how to MAKE SOME NOISE!!!! Wooo-hooo!!!!

Oh, whoops. No. Bad idea.

1 person likes this.
  6. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    Let's just hope that attendance is high enough for this to be a relevant concern.

7. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great question, and at this point one that is pure conjecture, but what are everyone's thoughts for average attendance this season (and I'll include the full season including post season)?

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it depends on whether they count the 250 tickets per game they're donating to AISD (a too-high number, IMHO);)

...and also depends on the ticket prices. Have we heard that info yet?

Would David like us to put in an appearance at the board meeting, as long as we *don't* bring the drums?

9. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    I really hope I am wrong but I think you could give out 250 tickets,charge $5 at the gate, and still be really lucky to get anywhere near 1,000 people. I am predicting crowds between 100 and 300 by the end of the season. With all the marketing they are doing, and the past reputuation already built, maybe I will be proven wrong...I hope so.

10. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What were the old Aztex getting by the end of their existence, something like 2-3K per match? I wonder how many of those people knew the difference between PDL and USL, and how many of the ones who did would stay away because of the drop in tiers. I'm betting not many on both counts, so I think it's reasonable to expect a climb back to the same attendance level. But that's just an uninformed guess, really.

11. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing that!!!

12. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Asuming we don't suffer a prelonged losing streak, my guess is attendence will average a little over 1000 while we are in the PDL. (The also assumes that enough is done to let people know we exist, and when our games are.)

We'll benefit from the familiarity people have with the previous team (who have been missing going to games), and the location (if we get House Park).

13. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a new article today in "The Daily Texan" about the Austin Aztex and their relaunch this year, written by Anthony Mannino. Not a bad article, and nothing new for many of us. A good read none the less.

14. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading this article, the reality that we are actually going to have a team again is starting to set in. I like what Markley is saying and doing in this new version of the Aztex.

As for attendance, I think it will be very good for a PDL side. I do not expect it to keep up with the Pro attendance from previous years. However, with more players being local products it should increase exposure with out expensive marketing. Speaking of marketing, did you see the Aztex TV spot during the Arsenal/MUnited "tears4piers" presentation on Sunday? Simple but well done, sorry I don't have a link for it.

I am excited about our new team. Hope you are too!!

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On KXAN last night, at the very end of a piece about AISD finances, they mentioned that the Aztex lease was on the agenda (tonight?) I really like it that the Aztex name is just being mentioned.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tonight's story; man wearing an Aztex jersey shoots and kills 20 people!

Score! :p :D

17. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the AISD Board Meeting is tonight at which they'll vote on the application to use House. I believe that it's not surprising they mentioned the Aztex, as I believe we're the only ones whose application is up for vote.

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea what time? And those meetings are typically open, right? It sure would be fun to go, after reading about the fans from so many other cities getting to participate in public meetings in support of their team.

I just happened to be wearing one of my Eberly's Army t-shirts today.:)

19. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There meeting is a regularly scheduled meeting that starts at 7:00 p.m. tonight at the Carruth Administration Complex (6th Street). There's more information here. We're agenda item 14.6, so who knows how long it'll be before we're presented by Tommy Cox, the Athletic Director.

20. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't get to see it live, but saw it on the news, it's official, Aztex (professional soccer team;)) are at House!

22. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Aztex related, but I was watching Fox7 this morning and Ching's staying in Houston was included on the bottom-of-the-screen ticker among the couple of sports items listed. A cool little surprise, and another tiny indicator that soccer is making headway, even here in Longhorn Town.

25. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi guys.

Former Austin Aztex Jay Needham has an interview about their upcoming season on the Puerto Rico Islanders website.

www.prislandersfc.com

Jay should be in San Antonio with the Islanders for the SA Scorpions first home game in April. Hope to see you there.