Aztex in the media

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by VioletCrown, Jan 23, 2009.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had one of these threads last year, but I figured I'd just start a new one rather than dredging up the old one.

Alejo's comment on another thread got me poking around the KVUE website. Didn't find the one he was talking about, but I did find this.

2. explosionsinthesky

explosionsinthesky New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks for finding that link man.
    Will be interesting to see if 4-5k people will show up on a regular basis.
    Nelson Field capacity 10k
    House Park 6k
    I wonder if House park would be scratched if average attendance rose above 6k at Nelson.

Just a thought.

3. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now there's a conundrum. We're so successful in drawing consistent crowds of 7,000 - 9,000, that all of a sudden a park that a majority of folks would love to play in (House) is no longer an option. Just one more reason this years going to be an interesting one.

4. explosionsinthesky

explosionsinthesky New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  5. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll never happen, less Phil has performed some kind of magic Jedi mind trick on the collective UT governing body.

[​IMG]
    Phil: You don't need, to pe paid for this.
    UT Imperials: We don't need to be paid for this.
    Phil: This isn't money your interested in.
    UT Imperials: This isn't money we're interested in.
    Phil: We can go about our business.
    Up Imperials: You can go about your business.
    Phil: Matches are on.
    UT Imperials: Matches are on *waves * matches are on.

6. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I will be suprised as well if UT allows this. I think myers stadium is crap anyway. But what better option is there for a match with over 15 thousand people?

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a central location? There isn't one. They used 'the Palace' out 183 -- the Round Rock football stadium for the two Mexican club teams last year. That's where these games would most likely end up.

8. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year (July), Austin hosted two Mexican Primera Division teams in Austin (can't remember who, but I think it was America and Tolouca). They played in the RRISD Stadium off of Parmer. They not only filled that stadium, but from what I heard, it was Standing Room Only with folks everywhere. Reports said that there were 16,000 in attendance, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more.

Considering that stadium can seat 16,000, and Meyers can seat 20,000, if UT is not an option they could always go north. I agree, that Meyers is unlikely since they have repeatedly refused MLS match requests.

9. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When are we playing these games ? anyone know.

10. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. We don't even know if they're going to be played as there's been nothing official from the Aztex. The challenge is once the season starts, when do we play them? There are a lot of fixutres for the Aztex between April 18 and September 13, so any exhibition matches with a Primera Division team from Mexico, or even a possible exhibition with Stoke Premier side, will be logistically challenging so as to not negatively affect the Aztex's attempts to reach the playoffs.

11. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  12. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I just heard on the radio this morning that Phil Rawlins & Adrian Heath will be on 1300 AM "The Zone" around 9am. They will be discussing the upcoming Austin Aztex tryouts on Saturday & Sunday.

13. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on an email that I got earlier from the Aztex, you're right. They'll be on sometime between 9:00 and 9:15. For those of you outside of the Austin area, you can listen online as the station streams their signal as well.

14. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As mentioned on their blog:

http://aztexchief.blogspot.com/2009/02/on-air.html

Plus they will air their commercial on TV and put up ads next week.

15. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we're getting a billboard on I-35 near parmer lane/

"sniff" this is the happiest news of the year for me, to date. :rolleyes:

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can never decide if billboards are worth the money spent on them.

But I mostly hate them.

But I guess I'll put that aside for this particular set of billboards.:)

17. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still waiting for the news about the piece of land they will have bought for the stadium they need to build. But other than that, things are off to a good start for sure.

18. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't get the damn thing to work online for me, and ended up busy anyway. As far as I can see, they haven't posted it on their site yet... but I understand. Got to get Coach Brown up first.

Anyone care to recap?

19. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing that this group didn't already know. Adrian did most of the speaking about the squad, and the pressures of succeeding in the inaugural season. One thing I took away was that the practices are at Hyde Park Church and will be open to the public.

They said that the interview will be online sometime after 10:00, but no love yet.

20. animategrayskies

Sep 22, 2006
    Austin
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on this one, but I think the more publicity the better, at this stage, for the team. The word still needs to spread like wild fire! The radio interview was good, and informative for those that didnt know much about what will be happening come April. Funny part was when Adrian, or Phil, cant remember...was saying he went back to England to watch a match (Stoke City I presume) and was in a local pub, talking the patrons about football. But since he had been in the US too long, "soccer" slipped out...and he said the room went silent, and everyone looked at him weird! haha...sorta reminded me of those "wanna get away?" Southwest Airline commercials!:D

21. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Adrian who said that, and it he West Midlands around Stoke, that's a massive gaffe. And coming from a former Stoke and Everton star, it's even worse. Along the lines of, "Cut him off, he's had enough".

22. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some may not like the biillboard ads, but it sends out the message about the club, the team and the players. There were already ads on Taxi cabs and having them on the Zone helps out building a growing soccer fan base in the area.

And I'm doing my part out as well trying getting the word out. ;)

* points to the blog link on my sig * :cool:

23. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I really want to hear the show. I'm going to have to shoot them an email.

24. Oo Ah Cantona

Oo Ah Cantona New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Austin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appologies if this has been posted already, but they discussed this weekends practice at St. Ed's. Have practice times been posted. I think they said it's open to the public.

25. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep!

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16837446&postcount=34

I know mgrayscale's going to be out there all day with a tent. All you need to bring is your own chair.

I'm going to lug a cooler with some beverages out there (doubtful on the alcohol, as I'm not sure what St. Ed's thinks of that), but I won't be there till after 11, as my Rovers are on TV against Villa. And I'll not miss Friedel coming home.