AZpiration is everything --Jozy in Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Just think of Foghorn Leghorn saying it.

1 person likes this.
  2. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martino: Mr. Leghorn we've heard you're a big fan of European football, what team do you support?

Foghorn: AZ- AZ- AZ- Alkmaar!

*rimshot*

FYI, I hear he also follows a Swiss club, too.

On a note related to Jozy. Since it is a new thread, how about a general update? What's the current status of his contract? We're coming up on the end of the season? Any transfer rumors?

3. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Jozy is in the starting lineup for today's Europa match against Valencia. They're a goal up but away from home. This will be a tough test. C'mon Jozy.

4. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just moved a series of pbp posts to the appropriate thread in the game day forum.

6. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was my post moved? It was a game recap. What should go in this thread then?

A recap of my recap: Jozy was terrible. I've watched games where he plays great, but this game was really bad. He didn't come to the ball quick enough, layed off by booting the ball randomly backwards many times and was at least one step behind the Spanish side.

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Valencia were simply a different class. From CB to striker AZ were second to every ball, and devoid of ideas when they had possession. Jozy played pretty much as you described, but had no service and no support and might as well have been playing alone as well as alone up top. He wasn't good, but no worse than the rest of the team.

8. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I included that in my original post too...yeah his whole team was a step behind. I thought he was perhaps a step and a half, certainly in the bottom half of his team, but you're right, he wasn't the main terrible guy on his team. I agreed with the announcer when he announced that a goal never seemed likely, which if jozy was messi RVP or maybe even Dempsey probably wouldn't be the case.

I just hope Jozy uses this to learn how tournaments ramp up and how to dig in and play at that very high level.
    Also I tuned out a bit when Benschop came on since it was decided, so I hope Jozy keeps his playing time.

9. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I hope the whole team uses this to learn. It's not all on Jozy. And despite his age, you could make the argument that Jozy has more senior-level international tournament experience than most of his teammates.

It was just a poor performance. Tons of games may have caught up with them or maybe it was just a bad performance. I think Jozy will keep playing. He's the team's leading scorer.

10. From the start of this round about 4,5 players at AZ's eleven arenot matching the Valencia quality, so elimination isnot that surprisingly. But it gives the players invaluable experience, because opposition like that you donot encounter for the most in the Eredivisie

11. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. Normally a recap is totally fine and the only reason yours was moved is that it looked like a continuation of the pbp that immediately preceded it. I'd move it back, but for the fact that you've already recapped your recap.

12. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. :)

I've mainly followed europa so I don't know about fatigue. I didn't see his name on a google news search, so maybe reports will come in about Verbeek or Altidore post game.

So now back to trying to capture the league title.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I really think the creeping depth problem they've had all season is finally catching up to them. It also didn't help that a couple of the playmakers are in production slumps.

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICKaVAbACek"]Metallica - Creeping Death [Live] (San Diego '92) - YouTube[/ame]

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge week for AZ, at they host Twente on Wednesday and travel to Eindhoven on Sunday. With 6 games left (also a big game at Feyenoord on the 29th)

4 or especially 6 points would go a long way to locking up 2nd place. That said, AZ look to have the toughest run-in (maybe Twente), but it is all in their hands. Wow, Ajax have won 8 in a row...

16. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say is Jozy is a bust.:rolleyes:

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For who?

18. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must be for Twente

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 Jolazos today

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay :confused:

21. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    2 great goals for Jozy. He was then subbed off for Benschop who pretty much sucked.

22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Might as well keep track of the Eredivisie goal-scoring chart the same way we're doing for Dempsey in the Premier League.

1. Dost (Heerenveen) - 25
    2. De Jong (Twente)/Malki (Roda) - 21
    4. Guidetti (Feyenoord) - 19
    5. Mertens (PSV) - 18
    6. Toivonen (PSV) - 16
    7. Altidore (AZ Alkmaar)/Matavz (PSV) - 13

He moves a spot higher up the list if you exclude penalties.

1 person likes this.
  23. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    After he scored the second goal, I knew he was going to get subbed out. Verbeek is a good (albeit peculiar) manager when it comes to his decisions, and i can't say that i always agree or understand them. That being said, the league position and AZ's run in the Europa league speak for themselves. I think I always fall into the bad habit of expecting managers to try to build a team around Jozy/play to his strengths, but here he is just another player. Which is probably best for his career anyways. Keep it up Jozy!

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Guidetti (F'noord) is the guy he jumps - he has 7 from the spot