AZpiration is everything --Jozy in Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nooooo. What's creepier and more disturbing is Jozy has a man purse. Damn, he's gone all European on us! :D

stonejh127 repped this.
  3. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

4. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    thats what i was thinking. Complete silence looks like he is hiding behind a car. If there was audio probably just be him breathing heavily. :laugh:

stonejh127 repped this.
  5. t3oni

t3oni Member

May 9, 2013
    I think its done according to twitter and some unofficial blackcats pages. Altidore passed his medicals as expected and is on his way to Italy to join the rest of the group

6. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for a new thread?
    Jozy and the Footy Cats?

7. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do so many promising players go to sunderland and suddenly suck. Ji Dong Wong, Danny Graham, Connor Wickham, adam johnson, frazier campbell.

8. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey. It's not me who's "undervaluing" him. I'm just giving realistic points that undermine his value vs. Bony's in the open market.

I'm not saying that Bony is worth twice that of Altidore, club football is. If you want to make a point about scoring goals consistently with Sparta vs. not doing so with Villarreal, Hull, Xerez, and Bursaspor feel free. It's not me you have to convince though. ;)

9. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The positive is that: Bony will be expected to perform at higher level than Jozy for double the money. Imo this eases the pressure on Altidore somewhat.

10. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

Wickham is still young/prospect.. Johnson played well once PDC took over and the rest of those jokers were never PL talent to begin with.

11. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    danny graham wasn't PL talent before he went to sunderland? uh huh... o_O

12. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their record signing asamoah gyan left after a year and a half, and while still in his prime at age 26, to go to Al Ain of the UAE league... something is not right behind the scenes at wearside.

13. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

He had a nice season with Swansea.. but I attribute that more to BR's system/style than I do Graham... for what they paid to get him he's been a huge bust for Sunderland.

14. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe Gyan just wanted to get paid and got the number he wanted.

15. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no point going on and on about transfers and tactics that predate Di Canio. It's pretty clear that he's molding this team into something different. Whether or not he'll be successful remains to be seen, but he's not responsible for what happened to Sunderland in previous seasons.

I think Sunderland have signed more players than any other team in the Prem already and it doesn't sound like they're done shopping. I'm curious to see how it all unfolds. I think they have a chance to be an interesting team this year and hopefully play a more ambitious and attractive style.

16. iliketowel

iliketowel Member

Feb 28, 2012
    New York City
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's nice in theory, but it doesn't really work like that. Pressure is team specific.

If Jozy has only 2 goals through ten games and Sunderland is in battling relegation, no fans at Sunderland is going to care if Bony only has 1 goal and Swansea is 15th.

I think Altidore is Sunderland's most expensive signing to date this summer (Apologies if I'm wrong on this, I've been trying to find an up to date list), and as far as I can tell, the only striker signed.When you consider how few goals Sunderland scored last season, I'd say there's considerable pressure on Altidore.

It's a bit magnified when you consider that their start off with a soft schedule (H Vs. Fulham, @ Southampton & Crystal Palace)
    Only Aston Villa (69) and Newcastle (68) gave up more goals than Fulham and Southampton (60) (Note: Of 17 teams that stayed up); and Crystal Palace (62 Goals Allowed - Only 6 of 21 teams not relegated to league One gave up more goals in Championship last season). Getting off to a quick start will be key for Jozy.

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1 - No... technically, only Swansea is.... says UK tabloids.

2 - Seems to me the point makes itself.

18. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I think it's more due to bargaining power. Vitesse is pretty much Chelsea, I doubt they will let a rival PL team get a quality striker on the cheap.

19. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan

I remember reading in May/June that Sunderland were having internal discussions on whether to commit long term to PDC. He was being VERY vocal about not liking the squad he had and saying he wanted at least 12 new players. Including Jozy, they've signed 8 (though to be fair, a few of them are questionable how much PT they'll get)

I actually remember his transfer saga. He wanted more money and wasn't getting the offers he thought.

20. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Well, technically, only one club needs to be willing to pay that price.

2. You're right. The point does make itself.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Kinda funny since Bony had only scored in Czech Republic. Though he's part of the Ivory Coast NT which has arguably the best strikers of any African team.

diablodelsol repped this.
  22. t3oni

t3oni Member

May 9, 2013

mm no not really, there are several african strikers who may have not scored as much as he has but IMO are better technically. Arsenal was linked to Emineke (Nigeria) not sure if they are following up on that....just to name a few actually one....

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    At the ANC, Ivory Coast had Drogba, Traore, Gervinho, Kalou, Bony, Ya Konan. I can't think of any other African side with a better set of strikers.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Won't it be strange for Jozy to get racial abuse from his own manager?

mbar repped this.
  25. iliketowel

iliketowel Member

Feb 28, 2012
    New York City
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is a real question... Are all facists racists? Has Di Canio actually had an issue with minority players? I don't know of people who declare themselves as fascists