AZ you like it: Jozy at Alkmaar [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    a ten day break is your rare chance to get both mls and euro players together. I think you could do this on the east coast or in Europe.

And Josy could have been left for the belgium game given his recent injury and new club.

And klinsmann need to keep good relationships with the club managers. This kind of forcefulness is where th mystery injuries come from.

2. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough about this travel stuff, its bs. How many people travel in their jobs? I have had jobs that I spent more time in the air in 5 days than Jozy will in this 10 day period. Keep in my aside from Europa league and US team duties, he will never have to travel by plane or even be on any long bus rides. Netherlands is only slightly larger than Maryland. The hardest part of his travel recovery will happen when he is with the US. He will be released from the US team in Belgium, fully recovered from travel wthith a short trip back to Alkmaar. It would be a little different if the LA game was on the 6th.

3. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    To further elaborate this point: Brussels is, if anything, slightly closer to Alkmaar than Kerkrade is, and Roda JC Kerkrade is in the Eredivisie.

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and Maryland is massive

5. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I never actually categorized the East Coast as one single metropolitan area...but, having grown up in Philadelphia and having relatives that lived up and down the 95 corridor, I also know that any game played between Washington DC and Boston is within reasonable driving distance if you live anywhere between those two cities.

Philly to Hartford is about 3.5 hours in a car, and most of that time is dealing with NYC traffic. Sure it makes for a long day. Maybe you need to spring for a Motel 6 room for one night. But its not like a person is spending a few hundred bucks to a grand on a plane ticket to travel to see the full team play a game like some from LA would have to do.

So since you brought it up, the 15-20 games that have been played on the East Coast are all within a reasonable traveling distance by car to anyone who resides in that area. Hell, in an hour and half, what ammounts to my daily commute to work (25 miles in LA traffic), a person in Philly can hit Washington, Baltimore, or New York for a game.

So congrats superfan. You and your buddies had to split gas money and spend a few hours in a car to see our best go up against the likes of Brazil and Argentina.

But who am I to complain? I get to see Jay Heaps, Logan Pause and a bunch of MLS guys with little to no chance of ever playing for the national team again go up against the Norway B team every year.

6. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The central time zone feels ZERO sympathy for you.

7. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Fair enough. And true enough.

Though Chi-town has had a fair share of games. And down in your neck of the woods, Dallas and Houston have hosted a fair number of games too.

But as a whole, 90% of the country is more or less ignored by US Soccer when it comes to scheduling games.

8. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Fair enough. And true enough. My post was in response to Lewis and/or Clark, who thought that nobody in the LA area was intelligent enough to figure out that the 95 corridor isn't some vast expanse of uncharted wilderness that takes less than a tank of gas to travel.

But as a whole, 90% of the country is more or less ignored by US Soccer when it comes to scheduling games.

9. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where is this magical road of which you speak?

10. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I used to fly into BWI all the time coming home from college and it took less than 2 hours to get to my home just outside of Philly.

My family drove from Philly to CT. every Thanksgiving and it never took more than 4 hours, and often less than 3.5, and that's dealing with holiday traffic through NYC.

There are no two cities anywhere from Boston Mass to Baltimore Maryland that is a longer drive from one another than Phoenix to LA is. And I've made that drive in my sleep dozens of times.

11. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But how long does it take to drive to LA from Alkmaar? Or is this the wrong thread for that?

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give you Baltimore to Philly, if there is no traffic (BWI to Lincoln Financial Field is 112 miles, btw, with at least 3 toll stops). But DC to Philly or Philly to NY in 90 minutes is just a fantasy (maybe you can get a nice view of NYC if there is no traffic...and there's never traffic around NYC).

13. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    8 hours. They just built a tunnel.

You can easily get Philly to NY in 90 minutes...then you sit for 90 more minutes in traffic, then its 30 minutes to New Haven.

14. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why all the driving talk? Did Jozy get a job driving the Eastern seaboard route for Greyhound? :eek:

15. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a sweet spot from 1-5 am on nights when they aren't doing road work. It's totally doable.

My commute from Baltimore to Alexandria would often take 90 minutes if there was an accident or I left a little late (although I hear the new bridge makes this a lot better).

16. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bigtravel.com sucks.

17. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooooooh, I like that game. Can we get a Bigtwister.com created? :D

18. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    "It amazes me that people are so excited about Jozy putting his right hand on green. Right hand on green spins come so easily in the Eredivisie. Now, if he starts putting his left foot on blue, that will be a sign that he's developing."

19. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Hahaha.

90 minutes from DC to Philly??? You can't even drive DC to Baltimore in that time considering traffic.

21. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I'll admit that I'm off on the Philly to DC...but not by much. And really its besides the point. The point being, there isn't anywhere in the 95 corridor that isn't a reasonable drive from one point to the next if you are "traveling" to US games.

22. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't know what this thread is about but it needs a refresh.