AZ----2013-14--no stopping us now

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by CANADA-AZ, Aug 20, 2012.

1. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Easy win yesterday--although giving up the first goal makes things tougher--Cambuur defense was horrible

AZ is fragile as far as confidence is concerned--probably has everything to do with the midfield (IMO)--it looks like Elm is the odd man out--Hendricksen is still a work in progress and the cohesion is not there like it was at the end of last year

They are fine at home---timid and defensive on the road--and it always costs them

I'm sure things will change under Advocaat-

-Europa in some far flung outback Thursday--play rope a dope--until the other guys mess up--or the opposition could be just lousy and we pounce on them after 15 minutes

and then away to PEC Zwolle this weekend--unless they get the 1st goal I don't like their chances at Zwolle

2. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Verbeek the new Nurnberg coach according to Bild.

3. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    1st place for the boys from Alkmaar--after every contender loses except Ajax---but a tie at home to the last place club is like a loss

the only change for AZ is Ortiz in the middle instead of Elm or Hendricksen-first clean sheet this year in the Eredivisie for Estaban

-they get what should be a softie next week against ADO at home so things are looking up

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Actually, 3rd place based on goal difference and don't think ADO is an easy mark by any means. They beat Twente yesterday.

5. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Another clean sheet--another win--and in 1st all alone

the boys at AZ probably played their best game of the year today---and were in complete control throughout

they get to go to Feyenoord next---after a home Euro game--we will see how they handle their confidence in Rotterdam-a big test

6. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Talk about getting robbed

we get 2 red cards in the first 15 minutes---both questionable and still manage to make and take the lead 2-1 until injury time

play 75 minutes 11 men to 9 and we manage to score 2

then Roda gets an equalizer

7. Mmmm. you're the only one with this opinion. Last evening Maarten Martens in the regional tv soccer show said both red cards were correct and Advocaat wasnot sure about the first but admitted that the second was a red.
    I am of the same opinion as Martens.

8. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    I disagree---Martens is too much of a diplomat--doesn't want to rile the refs or anyone--and is probably working on his next career move--broadcaster--you know the agreeable types

the first one the ref had to check back twice with the 4th official--on reply it was half dive and the striker had about as much chance of catching up to the pass as Viergever--never ever a red card --IMO

the second one was a little worse but to get 3 games as a suspension is a little too harsh

I feel we were robbed because we played our hearts out with 9 players for 75 minutes and actually had gained the lead until the last minute

how often does a 9 man squad stay in a game and actually build a lead??

9. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    It was a really impressive display by AZ holding out for the time they did. This weekend has been silly in terms of red cards. Referees are interpreting the rules a bit too strict imo.

10. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Looked good again yesterday--Advocaat has them playing a more open game than Verbeek.

Ortiz is good and getting better

My only complaint is they take 15-20 minutes to get comfortable--it cost them against Roda as once they turned it on even with reduced manpower they were deadly finding open areas

We should roll against NEC Sunday--I have $100 with bet365 ---so they better win--they owe me for the Roda game

The next big test will be Twente in Alkmaar a week from Saturday

We will see if there are any significant changes at winter stop--the only starter I can see leaving is Gudmondsson but anything is possible--Martens--Beerens--who knows??

so the Sunday game is the only one on at that time-----they will be missing 2 starters but they have depth this year--big difference over last year--Elm, Hendricksen, Marcellis,( who seems to have gone AWOL) Reijnen--all waiting for a chance to play

11. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Props to AZ for collecting points for Netherlands in Europe. We sure need it and AZ is a blessing in this respect.

12. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    did anyone see the AZ -Waalwjk game yesterday??

Waalwjk were scary bad--we should have had at least 5 more--their back 4 were like pilons

congrats to Ajax--easily the best team in the Eredivisie and we still have 2 months to go--cannot understand why they choke on the international stage--although the refs seem never to cut them a break

AZ continues in Europe against Anzhi---who killed us last year with a very good team--this year its different-Anzhi hasn't won yet in Russia--how they got this far has to be classic ---slow mo put you to sleep and steal a game

we just had that with Liberac--so we should be ready

-but

AZ has a real problem with confidence--(probably because they are so young) and regularly get into situations where no one wants to lead--or--worry too much about mistakes causing big trouble--and then giving up an early goal

getting Poulsen back and re-establishing Johansson on the back 4 is an upgrade from Wuytens and Reijnen

13. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    AZ has a good team this year. A player I like is Gouweleeuw, he also scored yesterday. I hope the team will go far in Europa League.

14. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    did not see yesterdays game but the results were just fine

now we get Benfica--kind of a large hill to climb

At least we keep the Dutch co-efficient moving in a positive direction

15. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    The draw hasn't been lucky for AZ. Sevilla or Basel were more moderate teams. Anyway at least it isn't Juventus!;)

16. AZ is furious at the KNVB as Ajax is given more than a week resting time before the semi final, while AZ has only 3 days to recover before they meet Ajax. The excuse to give Ajax that benefit is the arrival of/invasion by Obama this weekend to talk about the nukies.
    Given the fact that AZ batteries need more time to recharge than 3 days when confronted with an opponent that has 4 days more to recharge the batteries.
    AZ think they should be given the same time before the confrontation.

CANADA-AZ repped this.
  17. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada

ADVOCAAT HAS BEEN SCREAMING ABOUT THIS FOR ABOUT A MONTH--we are getting royally screwed here

so we get to play in Moscow on a Thurs--play at home today Sunday and now have another match--Thursday which is probably the biggest game for AZ this year

tjhe winner of this game has a pretty good edge on the Cup as its NEC vs PEC on the other side--this would get AZ back into Europe this year without having to face Feyenoord for the final spot in a playoff

Unless I am wrong here Ajax hasn't played since last Sunday--so they have 11 days --we have 3 and also we have played 2 more games in between

by the way another topic--today against PEC---why was PEC so pathetic for the first half?????----they were dead

18. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    PEC rested a few key players. The cup final is more appealing and easier for them than making the play offs.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    this was a really bizarre decision if you ask me. I cannot ever remember a sporting event here in Washington DC being postponed because of some political meeting and we have professional baseball, basketball, and ice hockey all taking place within a couple of kilometers of the White House and Congressional buildings. These teams play many more games a season than a Dutch football club. I'm very sympathetic to AZ's complaint here!

20. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Advocaat's only argument was that AZ players risked a card or injury in the game vs Zwolle. He explicitly said that 3 days rest was enough to recover. And he also made the choice to just field his first 11 while it wasn't necessary. So I don't get what all the whining's about.

21. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    So he, Advocaat has integrity for the game and fields his best players for the Eredivisie--you are now intimating that he should blow off league games??

We have played 2 games and traveled return to Russia in the last week-

-what has Ajax done?--get their game cancelled because there is some int. meeting in town--or was it in Den Haag?

and now must make this 35 km trip up to the north country (where they may be attacked by wild hogs--no sorry that in Enschede)

Alkmaar only has wild drunks---guilty as charged

here we go with a prediction---first goal will determine the winner

AZ does not have the legs to play all day attacking if they get behind ----and if AZ scores first there will be enough reserve adrenalin and crowd support to win because IMO Ajax will need some time to click

for those who haven't seen AZ for a while:

Poulsen is a game changer and a huge upgrade from Wuytens--he is getting better every game

Johansson--back line defense is lots of fun to watch but he is leaky and this is probably where Ajax attacks

A. Johansson--striker---has S. Berghuis who is just as deadly and Berghuis has taken over the scoring

I'm sure Ajax has seen the last few games and know all this and lets see

22. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering our form of late, no game is an easy one for Ajax. Personally, I'd like to see A. Johansson play well and maybe score ... but still lose.

23. How on earth did Az let Aron take the p kick? Against Anzi it barely went in, wasnot it for alot of luck and against PEC it was a complete miss, so a deterioration in succession.

24. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    The thinking must have been he can't miss twice---but put it the same place all three times

So AZ gets a PK and an extra man for a half---starts the 2nd half knowing the refs will want to try to even things out--sure enough they do and Ajax gets the goal we don't

No one particular to blame except both Johanssons--one for the miss PK and one for 2 yellows although I don't think he even touched him on the 2nd call

Ajax was better for the first 25 minutes before they lost their man and once it was even Ajax got the goal not AZ--who were at home

Going back about 12 years Oranje had a semi at home in the Euro Cup against Italy---missed 2 PKs had an extra man and lost in a shoot out----just plain stupid-----but hard to explain why except they choked on the pressure