Away Goal Rule ... New format for Libertadores (r)

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by vipnerd, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: Is there away goals rule?

yea they have away goals for the first time this year.

2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    The AWAY-GOAL rule is (or should be) the LAST tie-breaker - So while losing Away 2-1 but winning at Home 4-2 puts you onto the next round

ANYTHING that lessens the chance for deciding the outcome on a crap-shoot like Penalty Kicks is a good thing -

I'm still a bit confuse though how this applies in the event of going to Extra Time if thin

3. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    it only matters if they tie in points, say they tie both legs, 2 pts each, but whoever has the most goals as visitor advances, or lets say each team wins their respective home game, 3 pts, whoever has the most goals as visitor advances. It won't matter if a team wins 1 and ties the other, because then they wouldn't tie in points.

Like the Santos - U de Chile series, U won in Chile 2 - 1, Santos won at home 3 - 0, both had 3 points from their wins, but Santos had 3 goals at home and 1 away, against U's 2 at home and 0 away. So Santos advances.

4. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    No.
    Santos advance because aggregate score is Santos 4-2 U Chile. Goal difference is +2.
    Away gols are only used if aggregate score also is equal.

Desde octavos de Final hasta las semifinales, como así también la Primera Fase (la de 12 equipos) habrá nuevo sistema de definición. En caso de igualdad de puntos, los goles como visitante dirimirán el pase luego de la mejor diferencia de gol. Los penales serán la última instancia.
    http://www.conmebol.com/articulos_ver.jsp?id=57421&slangab=S

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    I do not like that crap!

In a way sends a team to score one away and stays cool (boring) at home.... not much for futbol entretainment!

6. BSjanitor

BSjanitor Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Re: Away Goal Rule ... New format for Libertadores

This isn't completely new for a conmebol competition. The Supercopa back in the old days used a worse rule: the away goal counted double. So, if River lost 4-2 to Nacional in Uruguay, then won 1-0 at home, River would go thru, even though Nacional scored more goals (4 vs 3) over the two games.

There is no double or triple this time. The away goal only makes a difference if the game is tied after 180 minutes. It's just a tiebreaker, and it's pretty good because the teams know about it ahead of time.

PS: I like the Family Guy monkey... I'm more Grafite than you because you are probably whitey and I'm 1/4 black. :D

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    This is the main point and the reason the rule makes total sense. We don't need a rash of PK shootouts deciding results.

8. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Talk about late response.

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So it is first points, second, goal difference, then scored goals, then away goals, and then PKs.

It depends efer. I've seen exciting games in CL were a goal changes the outcome and the pace....

Lets say hypotetically that Liverpool and Chelsea meet in semifinals.

In Stamford Bridge Chelsea wins 3-1.

Then they go to Amfield and Liverpool is winning 2-0 at halftime clinching a spot in the finals. What is Chelsea to do? They are tied in points and goals but away goals put Liverpool ahead, so Chelsea does not have a choice but to go forward.

And a goal in any end at that moment still puts more exciment, if Chelsea scores, (2-1) Liverpool has to go all out, if Liverpool score Chelsea needs to score quickly to get back in and have time to score another one. I've seen several games like that, and it is really, really exciting and you get to see 20, 30, 45 minutes of both teams going all out, well because if they don't they're out.

On the other hand I have to concede that if the first game is no contest (Like a 4-0) usually the second game is boring. And we have a lot of rather boring, close first games where neither team wants to really put too much on the table to prevent being in a difficult situation for the second game.

10. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does a. way goals count double

I am new to following the Libertadores.I was wondering if away goals counts double.
    Simont

11. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Does a. way goals count double

It works like this.

Man U beat Milan 3-2. However, since Milan scored 2 away goals...

If the return game, Milan wins 1-0, the total will be 3-3. However, since Milan has more away goals (2 vs 0) they win.

If Milan wins 2-1, again they go through.

If Man U ties at 1-1, they win because overall they have 4-3

Its the same in Libertadores.

12. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    Re: Does a. way goals count double

when two teams tie in number of goals scored the next criteria is the number of goals scored in away game, the team with more advance.

they call this "qualified goal".