Average Attendance for Soccer League From Around the World

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by pc4th, Aug 18, 2003.

1. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    I suspect that's only a small part of it--the main reason they draw huge crowds for the small games is that people know the big games will sell out, and their only hope of going to those games is buying season tickets.

At Illinois, which rarely sells out football games, attendance at the early-season non-conference games usually much lower than for the conference games, because causal fans can easily buy tickets to just the attractive games on the schedule--they can even wait a few weeks into the season to see whether the team is any good. OTOH, Illinois basketball has plenty of early-season games that are announced sellouts even when the arena is a quarter empty--not because 4,000 people suddenly couldn't go to the game, but because those people had to buy season tickets just to get tickets to the conference games.

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Average Attendance for Soccer League From Around the World

A few of the teams in the Czech first division play in small towns. Blsany only has a population of a few thousand (stadium 4,000).... Synot plays in a town of 6,000 (stadium 3,500)... and Ceske Budejovice plays in a stadium with a capacity of 1,500.

Average attendance for the first few rounds of the Gambrinus Liga is close to 5,000.

http://fotbal.idnes.cz/db_fotbal.asp?st_divaci=1000087

Not that anyone cares.... :)

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Widely-held belief that I do not think is, in fact, true. If some 67% of I-A schools realize positive net revenue from football (as they did in 2001), yet the vast majority of I-A schools' athletic departments as a whole lose money, football and basketball are certainly helping those athletic departments from losing a heck of a lot more than they are already losing, but they're not covering the expenses of the entire department, if you consider "covering the expenses" to mean actually being greater than the expenses.

4. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    This thread is meaningless...

But quite interesting. Does Wales really only average 283 people in their league?

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Re: This thread is meaningless...

Sounds right. The pro (and top semi pro) Welsh teams play in English leagues. The Welsh League would probably be around the standard of the sixth or seventh levels of English leagues.

6. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, from articles, Ohio State budgets $70 million a year for athletics. They made $2.6 million last year. Ohio State spent $6.4 million on football, and brought in $28.2 million. They spent $2.4 million on basketball and brought in $11.4 million. Throw in $8 million for donations, $4.1 million in merchandise, and spend $8.9 million in scholarships for all sports.

As for my argument on ticket pricing, it was an example for teams that sellout (keeping demand above capacity). Since demand drops a lot when people know there's open seats available. And OSU did get only 98,000 for the Texas Tech game last year, but it was played two weeks before the fall semester started as a 'preseason' game.

But the simple fact remains, if it weren't for Basketball and Football, schools in general would not have the money to fund other sports. Over $51 million in revenue from merchandise, donations, football, and basketball. Only $22 million were made from the other 20-plus sports. And whether they cost more than their revenue is irrelevant, thanks to the profits from the big two sports. Especially at $4 or $5 per ticket for soccer, or free admission to students.

Sykotyk

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not irrelevant, but yes, it's the profits from those two sports that allow the "non-revenue" sports to have any amount of money whatsoever. But they're not covering the costs (at most schools. If Ohio State's making a profit, they're one of the very few). They're contributing mightily to the upkeep.

BTW, since this is all getting off-topic, I just added NCAA football (at least Division I-A) to the Sports Attendance Database.

8. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Re: Re: This thread is meaningless...

There are two pro sides in the Welsh League, although one will almost certainly have to return to semi-pro football due to financial problems, and the other has merged with Oswestry (which is in England, but members of the Welsh FA).

9. 10Metrostars10

10Metrostars10 Red Card

Aug 16, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Average Attendance for Soccer League From Around the World

So do many A-League teams

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metro Area Population Estimates for A-League teams:

Team........Metro Area
    Toronto.....4,682,897
    Atlanta.....3,857,097
    Seattle.....3,465,760
    Montreal....3,426,350
    Minnesota...2,872,109
    Pittsburgh..2,331,336
    Portland....2,180,996
    Vancouver...1,986,965
    Cincinnati..1,960,995
    Milwaukee...1,648,199
    Va.Beach....1,562,365
    Indiana.....1,536,665
    Charlotte...1,417,217
    Rochester...1,079,073
    Richmond......961,416
    Calgary.......951,315
    Syracuse......732,920
    El Paso.......701,908
    Charleston....552,803

US cities data is from 1999. Canadian cities data is from 2001.

11. Ken, would you have the same for MLS cities?

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Average Attendance for Soccer League From Around the World

I think your interpretation of what passes for a "small town" varies a tad from what it does elsewhere. Prague has 4 pro teams. 14 of the 18 cities listed have a population bigger than Prague. Small in this context is well under 50,000 people.

As for Wales, it only has a few towns that aren't tiny. Cardiff will pull in 15,000 this season in Div 1. Swansea will get about 5000 in Div 3. Wrexham (pop 50,000) will get about the same in Div 2. Newport County and Merthyr Tydfil will pull in just under 1000 in non-league. There's probably not another town in Wales with a population higher than 25,000.

14. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: This thread is meaningless...

MOVE WALES NOW!

15. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the quality of the SPL, outside the Old Firm, I'm not sure how much different it would be.

16. They're both Division I football (soccer) leagues.

17. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be noted that there are between 1-2 million mexicans living within an hour of El Paso on the Mexican side.
    Not sure if its impossible to drive to an A-league game for them, but I know there is no MFL team there either

18. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 New York 21,199,865
    2 Los Angeles 16,373,645
    3 Chicago 9,157,540
    4 Washington-Baltimore 7,608,070
    5 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose 7,039,362
    6 Boston 5,819,100
    7 Dallas 5,221,801
    8 Denver 2,581,506
    9 Kansas City 1,776,062
    10 Columbus 1,540,157

2000 Census numbers

19. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    It bothers me that the "Voice of Reason!" should need an exclamation point.

And on topic, the fact of the matter is that average attendance is a rather goofy state to use in terms of looking at the health of the league.

It's ONE factor. And it's a factor whose impact on the overall bottomlline is wildly divergent from one league to the next.

TV deals, sponsorships, ticket prices/revenues, stadium ownership, number of actual dates/overall attendance, etc.

Lots of factors.

20. No way.

Is that a 200 mile radius? 300 mile radius?

21. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21 mill is from the US Census. its the same rules they use to make Dallas 5 mill, and C bus 1.5

It doen not sound too crazy to me though. NYC proper has over 8 mill, Nassau has gotta be at least 1.5, ans Suffolk has 1.45 mill. thats 11 mill. add in west chester, putnum, and fairfield counties, and then pretty much all of N Jersey

As far as the Exclamation point, I registered it without, but i must have mistyped something in my password as I never was able to actually use it, so i have to make a new one with the !
    I pondered using ? but well I chose what I chose

22. You cannot possible expect someone in Suffolk or Putnam to drive 100+ miles to get to a Metros game at Giants Stadium. That would be 8 hours roundtrip with traffic. Even Nassau is way too far from Giants stadium.

As for as the Metros are concerned the market is around 10-12 million. NOT 21m.

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    maybe, but even the lower figure is larger than the entire populations of countries such as Belgium and the Czech Republic, so beating them on attendance averages isn't that surprising.

24. No doubt the Metro NY is the largets metro market in the world. That's why in the NASL days, the Cosmos average was beating everyone in the world.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that why?