Australian Team News

Discussion in 'GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia' started by almango, Dec 11, 2017.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Most of this are still trying to figure this one out. It was pretty obvious that he wasn't really happy in the job for some time. before he quit. He was getting a bit of criticism for the teams lacklustre performances in a few of the qualifiers, but that's normal for any coach and if that was the reason he wouldn't have lasted as a coach as long as he has. Could be some personal reasons behind it but I'm just speculating.

2. monere

monere Guest

to be fair, as a neutral fan (and since Romania is not at the WC) I will root for the Socceroos cause I like your team. Well, I always liked your fighting spirit ever since your Viduka / Kewell times I've remained a fan of the Australian national team :) ... anyway, what I wanted to say is that although I've been following your progress over the years I will honestly admit that Ange didn't brink something extraordinary to the team, but even so, someone who constantly gets you to the WC deserved to keep coaching you, especially since you made the move Oceania to a tougher confederation (Asia). But... if the reasons were personal, there is not much to be done about it :)

Thanks for the info and good luck at the WC. I will honestly root for you, especially since you guys have always been drawn into the toughest groups

3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Bert Van Marwijk has been announced as the new Australian Coach for the World Cup finals. The contract is from now until the end of Australia's participation in Russia.

4. ZelicMaestro

ZelicMaestro Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Jan 16, 2018
    No surprise, really, as his is the name that's been gaining a lot of traction in local media reports these past two weeks.

I think he'll do a decent job - he'll certainly have us well prepared for each of our opponents.

I'm not expecting a particularly expansive style of football, though.

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He deserves a lot of credit for having led Saudi Arabia back to the World Cup for the first time in 16 years...less so for during the 2010 World Cup Final into a thug-fest :cautious:

You'll be fine with him. Even if Australia's a long shot to advance (not as much as last time, to be fair), they won't get embarrassed, either - and I sure as hell would not look past them in that last game.

6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    12 years. Saudi Arabia qualfied last time for 2006 World Cup.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stand corrected :oops:

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We have a coach and now Tim Cahill has a club to play for. He has just signed with Millwall in the English Championship for the remainder of the season. Millwall was his first professional club all those years ago.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow...a likable footballer from Milwall :eek::D

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    https://asia.eurosport.com/football...-in-russia-van-marwijk_sto6507939/story.shtml
    Second round minimum for Socceroos in Russia - Van Marwijk
    Van Marwijk is almost certainly going to change the style of football for Australia, emphasizing more than physical prowess and basically following the script he followed with Holland in 2010, except in an even more defensive formation and set up. While what he did with Holland made me no longer like Holland much despite its success in terms of results in World Cup 2010, he probably has the right idea for Australia. Especially since unlike Holland, Australia isn't a "brand" that will be tarnished by such a style anyway and instead having good results will be even more important -- for Australia and the AFC as well.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...appointment-shows-lack-of-long-term-direction

No Idea who Johnathon Howcroft is, but I really don't agree with him at all. The only reason we have a Dutchman at the helm now is because the previous coach, who was Australian, decided to quit after the qualifying process ended. There isn't a prominent Australian Coach available at the moment to take over as we are in the second half of the A league season and the obvious candidate to take over has a binding contract with his club and leaving them when they are in the final 3rd of the season and just about to start an ACL campaign isn't a goer. We all know that Bert Van Marwijk was probably the best short term coach available, and that Graham Arnold will take over for the Asian Cup and the following qualification campaign for Asian Cup and World Cup.

12. ZelicMaestro

ZelicMaestro Member

Liverpool FC
    Australia
    Jan 16, 2018
    He's a journalist based in Melbourne, who writes quite a bit of freelance stuff for the Guardian Australia website.

I agree 100 per cent with what you've said, as the federation was essentially left with two choices: a) appoint a manager who gives Aus the best chance of succeeding in Russia, given the short preparation time, or b) appoint a manager with a long-term vision, with World Cup 2018 a stepping stone towards the Asian Cup next year and, most importantly, the next World Cup in 2022.

Effectively the federation is trying to accomplish both - by appointing Van Marwijk for six months, they are bringing in an experienced, pragmatic manager, who will do everything in his power to take us beyond the group stage. Then Arnold (most likely) will take over with a view towards building a squad that can qualify for Qatar, and hopefully do a bit of damage once it gets there.

The way I see it, the long-term footballing vision that Howcroft and some others are talking about isn't being abandoned. It's just being postponed for six months, while we address the pretty important matter of being competitive in Russia.

When it's all said and done, failing to pick up a point in consecutive World Cups would not be received well in Australia, irrespective of any grandiose "vision" for developing the game at a grassroots level. The federation recognises this, and has appointed a coach who, it hopes, will ensure it doesn't happen

almango repped this.
  13. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We wouldn't even have interrupted it for 6 months if Ange hadn't quit. I can't blame the FFA for that.

14. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Initial squad for the upcoming friendlies. No big surprises here except the return into the fold of Brad Jones.

Caltex Socceroos 29-player preliminary squad for friendlies against Norway (Oslo) & Colombia (London):

Name

Club, Country

A-International Caps (Goals)

Aziz BEHICH

Bursaspor, TURKEY

19 (2)

Joshua BRILLANTE

Sydney FC, AUSTRALIA

5 (0)

Tim CAHILL

Millwall FC, ENGLAND

104 (50)

Milos DEGENEK

Yokohama F. Marinos, JAPAN

15 (0)

Alex GERSBACH

Racing Club de Lens, FRANCE

4 (0)

Jackson IRVINE

Hull City AFC, ENGLAND

15 (1)

Mile JEDINAK

Aston Villa FC, ENGLAND

73 (18)

Brad JONES (Gk)

Feyenoord Rotterdam, NETHERLANDS

4 (0)

Tomi JURIC

FC Luzern, SWITZERLAND

32 (8)

Matthew JURMAN

Suwon Samsung Bluewings, KOREA REPUBLIC

4 (0)

Robbie KRUSE

VfL Bochum, GERMANY

60 (5)

Mitchell LANGERAK (Gk)

Nagoya Grampus, JAPAN

8 (0)

Mathew LECKIE

Hertha BSC, GERMANY

49 (6)

Massimo LUONGO

Queens Park Rangers FC, ENGLAND

32 (5)

Jamie MACLAREN

Hibernian FC, SCOTLAND

5 (0)

James MEREDITH

Millwall FC, ENGLAND

2 (0)

Mark MILLIGAN

Al Ahli SC, SAUDI ARABIA

64 (6)

Aaron MOOY

Huddersfield Town AFC, ENGLAND

31 (5)

Andrew NABBOUT

Urawa Red Diamonds, JAPAN

0 (0)

Dimitri PETRATOS

Newcastle Jets, AUSTRALIA

0 (0)

Josh RISDON

Western Sydney Wanderers FC, AUSTRALIA

5 (0)

Tom ROGIC

Celtic FC, SCOTLAND

33 (7)

Nikita RUKAVYTSYA

Maccabi Haifa FC, ISRAEL

16 (1)

Mathew RYAN (Gk)

Brighton & Hove Albion FC, ENGLAND

41 (0)

Trent SAINSBURY

Grasshopper Club Zurich, SWITZERLAND

33 (3)

Aleksandar SUSNJAR

FK Mlada Boleslav, CZECH REPUBLIC

0 (0)

James TROISI

Melbourne Victory, AUSTRALIA

36 (5)

Daniel VUKOVIC (Gk)

KRC Genk, BELGIUM

0 (0)

Bailey WRIGHT

Bristol City FC, ENGLAND

21 (1)

Match Details:

Norway v Caltex Socceroos
    Date: Friday, 23 March 2018 (local time)
    Venue: Ullevaal Stadion, Oslo, Norway
    Kick-off: 6pm (local) / 4am AEDT (Saturday, 24 March 2018)
    Broadcast: Live in Australia on FOX SPORTS and Network Ten

Colombia v Caltex Socceroos
    Date: Tuesday, 27 March 2018 (local time)
    Venue: Craven Cottage, London, England
    Kick-off: 8pm (local) / 6am AEDT (Wednesday, 28 March 2018)
    Broadcast: Live in Australia on FOX SPORTS and Network Ten

15. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    4 uncapped players in the squad. Two 25 year old, one 22 year old and one 32 year old. I wonder if they will end up with any game time. I've a feeling he will want to see as many players as possible in these two games.

16. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not really world cup news but the FFA today announced that Graham Arnold will take over the national team as coach after the completion of World Cup commitments. He will play no part in the current world cup campaign.

17. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I would have assumed he would have gone along to this WC as an assistant coach just to see how it was going. I guess Van Marwijk doesn't want him there.

18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It would seem a bit odd to have the next coach there with the old one. It could create some conflict and confusion as to who the boss was. Arnold still has to get Sydney through their season and that doesn't finish until early May. He can watch the games from the grandstand (or on TV) and then worry about how he prepares for the Asian Cup.

19. jlarosa

jlarosa Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Miami Springs, FL
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    well that would be awkward... why coach a team for a few months... seems weird.

20. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It probably suited him to do this. He may even have a job lined up after the World Cup. The FFA wanted Arnold as the long term coach for the next cycle but he was contracted to his current club until May, which made it difficult for him to coach the national team for this world cup. Getting someone with experience and some knowledge of our squad for the interim worked out OK for everyone.

21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As posted in the predictions thread Australia will have an extended pre world cup training period in Turkey, followed by friendlies against Czech Republic and Hungary.

22. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I saw Leckie mention the other day they have been trialing a 4-2-3-1 formation in training and aiming to play a super fast, counter attacking style. So very different to Ange-ball. Will be interesting to see how they play against Norway and Colombia this week.
    That probably suggests there still isn't room for both Mooy and Rogic in the same team. Unless Mooy lines up as a DM which is possible, but unlikely.

23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  24. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Pretty poor effort against Norway. The team looked disjointed and without purpose. I know there were a lot of changes in personnel and structure but the performance was way below what is required. Need to improve a lot to even think about getting a single point in the World Cup.

25. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well that was an ugly mess. Hopefully there’s still enough time for the players to adapt to Van Marwijk’s plan, or even better Van Marwijk to ditch that plan. Far too defensive in formation and tactics. We will never defend our way out of this WC group, we don’t have the cattle for that.
    Full backs need to get further forward, if Jedinak is to play at all it needs to be at CB. Things looked much better after the first 5 subs came on, probably closer to the real starting line up.
    Nabbout can’t be that isolated if he is to do anything at international level.
    Maybe the back 3 was a good idea.