Australia vs Netherlands - June 18 - Porto Alegre [R]

Discussion in 'Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands' started by el-capitano, Jun 14, 2014.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Who? ;)

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Keep on topic. Last warning or your posts will be deleted.

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Very good. Some silly mistakes from an inexperienced defence, but is to be expected given the profile of the side.

If they can find another goalscorer or two to replace Cahill, this will be a formidable Australian side in 2018.

Transparent_Human and el-capitano repped this.
  4. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Australia is building their team the right way. I like that Postecoglou told his players to attack. He knew he was outgunned but he didn't care. Some other managers would have a young squad bunker down and try to win points via cheap methods. Australia is doing the opposite. They are playing like men. Respect to them for that. If they continue building right, then they should be a threat to advance from the group stage in 2018. I doubt the draw will be so unkind to the Aussies next time.

djpower and el-capitano repped this.
  5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    the choker

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yes, but if Chile lose twice their GD will take a hit

7. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see the rules on handball but they always talk about either the ball playing the hand or the hand playing the ball. To me intentional handball is if you have either your arm outstretched or above your head or your arm moves intentionally toward the ball. The dutch player had his arm down no one runs with his arm absolutely touching his body. The ball was kicked about a yard away directly onto his hand. To me that is not a handball that is the ball playing the hand. Why shoot for the goal just shoot for your opponents hand if the refs are going to call that a pk.

8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    In any case, we are going to win today

ihatewaiting4years repped this.
  9. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    An injury isn't "choking"

10. HelloDay

HelloDay Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Definitely the best game so far!

11. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    I am impressed with Australia. With an easier draw they might have advanced again.

Overall I think Asia is doing well. Japan is not out and might recover, S. Korea has a chance as well.

12. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #212 ihatewaiting4years, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
    Japan was at least entertaining against Cote D'Ivoire. South Korea at least owned Russia for most of the game. Australia played one heck of a game just now. Not to mention that the Aussies just nearly beat a world power. If anything Australia has just improved the value of the AFC with such a respectable performance. You know what the other 3 AFC teams have in common? They've all scored goals. The only thing Iran has done is get booed of the pitch along with Nigeria for putting everyone to sleep.

Mod edit: removed tolling quote and trolling response.

Pipiolo repped this.
  13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Australia played a very good game and acquitted itself well. In fact, they showed that they will indeed be one of the favorites for the 2015 Asian Cup, which they will be hosting.

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Australia was also pretty close to draw with Chile, as our 3rd goal only came in extra time.
    They might have lost both games, but both times they gave their last sweat to try to get a better result.
    They won all my respect for that.
    :thumbsup:

(not like Iran with their coward atitude (football speaking, that is)

ihatewaiting4years repped this.
  15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Although our coach is not known for favoring an entertaining style of football, I am almost certain Iran's last game against Bosnia will be one of the most exciting and entertaining in this World Cup. I say this as someone who, before the Iran-Nigeria match, mentioned the game will likely be the most boring in the tournament and the score will likely be 0:0.

Krajiska Krv repped this.
  16. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm surprised Iran's coach doesn't try to take advantage of a player like Gooch.

17. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    The funniest part will be when Iran or Japan goes as far in the tourney as Chile will :D

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Or further:).

19. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    USA just rejoiced!!!!

Good for me as RM needs him rested. Really hurts his standings when his international career is being evaluated.

20. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Chilean fans going crazy trying to enter the stadium lol.

21. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In Short: fantastic match...full credit to Australia for playing an excellent 1st half...Holland too strong in 2nd half...De Pay was superb should be given a starting spot next game...brilliant goals for the Dutch Van Persie's was a rocket...De Jong stepped up huge defensively in 2nd half...Cahill's goal also brilliant...hopefully Van Persie not injured...excellent WC2014 overall!! GO HOLLAND GO!!

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Why are people talking about Chile and Iran in the Australia-Netherlands match thread?

Orange14 and Fanaddict repped this.
  23. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    #223 aguy2die4, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    Well Iran & Carlos Queiroz don't have much choice but to go all out in the last game against Bosnia and try and get a win. They can't bunker and go for another draw.

Otherwise whats the point of coming to the World Cup? The aim isn't to get 2pts and avoid being last in the final World Cup points standings.

Hats off to Australia. A really entertaining match, with large periods where Australia arguably dominated. It was a tactical win for Australia for large periods and excellent fighting spirit.

In the Chile v Australia match, it felt Chile had the clear upper hand for majority of the game, but Australia at least made a fight of it. Against the Dutch, the Aussies could have won, had they a couple of more experienced and players of Cahill's quality. A draw would have been fairer, and also would have given the Aussies extra motivation in their last match against Spain.

Alas, they have 0 points after one respectable and one good performance, and they've lost Cahill, for their last game.

Hats off to the Dutch too. In the end they won, even if it was a harder game than anyone expected. They had the quality to take the chances when it arose. Sign of a team that can win a tourney....

Loyalty repped this.
  24. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    Cahill's goal, best goal of the tournament so far.

Fanaddict repped this.
  25. Klose_fan

Klose_fan Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Aussie played a great game! Was planning to nap but stayed awake for it all.
    That's was a beautiful goal to watch. Top two anyway, along with the diving header back in the first couple games.

Rickdog repped this.